Which players under 25 have the potential to score 100 points in a season?

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Currently, there are only 10 active players who have ever scored 100 points in a season:

-Joe Thornton
-Sidney Crosby
-Alex Ovechkin
-Evgeni Malkin
-Connor McDavid
-Patrick Kane
-Nikita Kucherov
-Claude Giroux
-Nicklas Backstrom
-Eric Staal

However, with the increased scoring this year, there are several players currently on pace to score 100 for the first time:

-Johnny Gaudreau (age 25)
-Leon Draisaitl (23)
-Nathan MacKinnon (23)
-Mikko Rantanen (22)
-Blake Wheeler (32)

And a few others are on track to come close (current pace of 95 points or more):

-Brayden Point (23)
-Brad Marchand (30)
-Mitch Marner (21)
-Aleksander Barkov (23)

One thing I noticed is that most of this year's top scorers are quite young. And I'm wondering, excluding the players listed above, which other players under 25 do you think have the potential to score 100 in a future season. Who is most likely to actually do it?

My top guesses:

1. David Pastrnak
2. Auston Matthews
3. Sebastian Aho
4. Elias Pettersson
5. Jack Eichel
6. Patrik Laine
7. Mathew Barzal

Some other potential names (including some longshots) to toss out there for discussion:

Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Filip Forsberg, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller, Timo Meier, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Larkin, Sam Reinhart, Jake Guentzel, Max Domi, Teuvo Teravainen, Jonathan Drouin, Travis Konecny, Andrei Svechnikov, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Filip Zadina, Brady Tkachuk, Rasmus Dahlin

Which of those guys have the best shot at scoring 100? And who did I miss entirely, any longshots whose name you'd toss in the ring? Any game-breaking prospects that need more time to develop, but have the skills and potential to have a shot at 100 points?

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
As much as i love kotkaniemi he’ll never score 100, he isn’t dynamic enough, never cheats offensively, he’ll be that very effective two-way center who is rarely flashy, if he ever becomes a ppg player playing his style, he will be a top selke conditate year after year!

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
One thing I noticed is that most of this year's top scorers are quite young. And I'm wondering, excluding the players listed above, which other players under 25 do you think have the potential to score 100 in a future season. Who is most likely to actually do it?

My top guesses:

1. David Pastrnak
2. Auston Matthews
3. Sebastian Aho
4. Elias Pettersson
5. Jack Eichel
6. Patrik Laine
7. Mathew Barzal

1. David Pastrnak YES
2. Auston Matthews YES
3. Sebastian Aho YES
4. Elias Pettersson YES
5. Jack Eichel YES
6. Patrik Laine LOL
7. Mathew Barzal YES

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
As much as i love kotkaniemi he’ll never score 100, he isn’t dynamic enough, never cheats offensively, he’ll be that very effective two-way center who is rarely flashy, if he ever becomes a ppg player playing his style, he will be a top selke conditate year after year!

Few years ago I would have said the same thing about Barkov. Right now Barky is on pace for 93 points, so I could definitely see him cracking 100 at some point.
When it comes to Kotkaniemi I think he can definitely grow into a 100 point/season player, just depends on how he develops. Right now he already has better offense than what Barky had in his rookie season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Depends on how much of a baby scoring league Bettman and co make the NHL. What we're seeing this season with an uptick in scoring and all of these people chasing or achieving 100 isn't an accomplishment, but more of an inflation due in part to changes like the equipment changes and calls on the ice. Could be a point in time where we see players like Hertl or Guentzel hitting a hundo.

Reactions: RyderRocks73

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Depends on how much of a baby scoring league Bettman and co make the NHL. What we're seeing this season with an uptick in scoring and all of these people chasing or achieving 100 isn't an accomplishment, but more of an inflation due in part to changes like the equipment changes and calls on the ice. Could be a point in time where we see players like Hertl or Guentzel hitting a hundo.
Let me guess -- your introduction to hockey was in the dead-puck era? ;)

Raw point-totals are of course somewhat arbitrary as scoring levels and number of high-end forwards accumulating more (or less) points compared to teammates varies with eras. But the 100-point mark is a quite significant one. The first ones were in 1968-69, and the most times it's ever happened in one season in League history (1992-93) was 21 times. So, you know, there were 600 players or whatever then and 21 achieved 100 points -- that's still quite elite, to be among the 21-top scorers in the best League. Then, we have (snooze...) really low-scoring seasons like five years ago when nobody was doing it.

The point is, at every moment in NHL history (well, from 1969 to now) a 100-point season is a big deal. It is most certainly a big achievement, not an "inflation".

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I'll be ecstatic if Forsberg (or anyone else on Nashville roster) ever puts together an +82 pt season, let alone 100 pts. 100 pts would pretty much require Johansen to either start scoring goals again or having a +65 assist season, Arvidsson playing at the level he's currently playing scoring goals like a maniac, and a potent power play.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I’m not sure why people are saying Matthews, he’s gonna have to hit a whole new gear to get 100 and be healthy obviously.
Fun fact: The Maple Leafs have had only 4 player-seasons of 100 points in franchise history -- two by Darryl Sittler and two by Doug Gilmour (and Sittler's lesser one was exactly 100, so he barely made it). Compare:

Number of 100-point player-seasons (franchises in existence since 1979-80):
0 - New Jersey / Colorado / Kansas City
4 - Toronto
4 - Dallas (0) / Minnesota (4)
5 - Carolina (1) / Hartford (4)
6 - NY Rangers
6 - Vancouver
6 - Buffalo
7 - Washington
8 - Arizona (0) / Winnipeg (8)
9 - Philadelphia
10 - Calgary (8) / Atlanta (2)
10 - Montreal
11 - Detroit
11 - Chicago
13 - St.Louis
18 - NY Islanders
21 - Colorado (5) / Quebec (16)
23 - L.A.
23 - Boston
31 - Edmonton
33 - Pittsburgh

So, yeah, if a Leaf -- say, Marner or Matthews -- can get to 100 points this year or anytime in the future, it would be kind of a big accomplishment, esp. given Toronto's remarkable history of producing few such players.

(Jersey is sort of amazing.)

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Pettersson is great but I dont think he hits 100 unless you put Paranin on his wing, plus he's gotta stay healthy.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm gonna sound like a huge homer, but if Eichel puts together a consistent effort on a decent team I see him hitting it easily. Dude's a 1.5 point a night guy when he's on and he's playing on the only NHL caliber line the Sabres have.

Largely unrelated, but spittin chiclets had somethin on the only guys to hit 100 points in 3 straight seasons since.. idk. 1990? Anyways, answers were Mcdavid.. Ovechkin.. and friggin Roenick. No relevance, nothin to read into, but good god did that last one surprise me.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews is a sure bet to never reach 100 points.

If he can stay healthy for a full year (which he did as a rookie and only has been out once this year) I don't see why he couldn't. He'd be on pace for 93 points this year over 82 games. Consider that his most common linemates this year have been a combo of Marleau / Johnsson / Kapanen / Brown for 95% of those minutes and it's crazy. Just since Nylander got finally put back with Matthews they are going on a point streak again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->