Which players are playing for their home town teams?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Dillon Dube was born in Golden but his hometown was Cochrane which is about a half hour out of Calgary. Think he's the only one unless Matthew Phillips or Luke Philp(Canmore) make the roster(very unlikely).

Cochrane is definitely Flames territory. I'd be interested to know on Golden. Probably pretty evenly split between Flames/Canucks?

If we wanted to play the "closest team to" card, Derek Ryan is on the closest team to Spokane (for this season only).

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It’s always seemed curious to me how so few players are from the NYC area. Even though it’s not a “hockey town” they do have three teams and sheer population size would seem to dictate that it should be well represented.

How many players are from NYC proper? Nick Fotiu, Matthieu Schneider, and....?
The problem is NYC has not even a handful of rinks and good luck getting consistent time at the few that do exist. That's ~9 million people who have minimal to no access to even learn how to skate.

NJ has well more per capita and has produced a fair amount of solid players considering the region. It's the same case upstate.

Reactions: Hatfield

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The problem is NYC has not even a handful of rinks and good luck getting consistent time at the few that do exist. That's ~9 million people who have minimal to no access to even learn how to skate.

NJ has well more per capita and has produced a fair amount of solid players considering the region. It's the same case upstate.
oh yeah? then why do I see so many New Yorkers skating during Christmas in the movies?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean pretty much any of the NYC, Long Island and North NJ area can be considered home turf for all three of the tristate teams.

There's too much of an overlap of fans of all three in these areas it's hard to claim one area specifically for just one team.

No freakin way. There are practically no Islanders fans in NJ and practically no Devils fans on Long Island. And there are practically none of either in the Hudson Valley or southwestern CT.

There are plenty of Rangers fans across the entirety of the metro area, though.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
oh yeah? then why do I see so many New Yorkers skating during Christmas in the movies?
Lol. We have maybe 6 or so outdoor rinks in the winter for tourists and parents to hold their kids hands by.

We're lucky if those are open for 90 days and hockey is rarely played on them.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
shame that we consider them as one of you
;(
It is hilarious that you have some teams like any of the Canadian teams further west than the Leafs and players from like an hour+ outside of Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc. are all considered to be generally "local" players, even though you look at a map and the town is noticeably distant from the cities that have NHL teams

But if you get ~15-30 minute drive outside of Toronto proper (only that long because of traffic:laugh:), these guys are not hometown players!!!!!

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
No freakin way. There are practically no Islanders fans in NJ and practically no Devils fans on Long Island. And there are practically none of either in the Hudson Valley or southwestern CT.

There are plenty of Rangers fans across the entirety of the metro area, though.
This is unfortunately true.

But there are Devils fans upstate as that's where their AHL team (Albany and Binghamton) has been for a while.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Habs star goalie Carey Prix grew up in Montreal, I do believe.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was born in Mississauga like Tavares.

Toronto is our hometown.

It's a short drive to Toronto, so this is just technical mumbo-jumbo that holds no weight in reality. Anyone in the GTA can easily claim Toronto as their hometown team.

Yeah, Tavares is from Toronto. Thornton is not.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Matthew Peca in Ottawa (in addition to Gudbranson as pointed out earlier)

There was some argument about Pageau in Ottawa. Some people considered him not to be a “home town” player since he was from Gatineau.

I tend to think “closest NHL team to where you grew up” should be enough, but I can see how people might think otherwise. IMO players like Pageau, Peca, Borowiecki and Brad Smyth should count as hometown guys just as much as Methot, Richardson and Ceci did.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Toronto is our hometown.

It's a short drive to Toronto, so this is just technical mumbo-jumbo that holds no weight in reality. Anyone in the GTA can easily claim Toronto as their hometown team.
Lol you are Def not from toronto as sauga is a separate city and that short drive of yours Is 45 min

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My rule is very simple: if you can't take the subway there, it ain't New York City. Yes, I'm looking at you Staten Island!

But Adam Fox and Anthony Bitetto were Rangers fans.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Lol you are Def not from toronto as sauga is a separate city and that short drive of yours Is 45 min

First of all, it's not 45 minutes lol.

30 minutes from Mississauga and even less to the actual border of Toronto. I do it all the time. Maybe with work-related traffic but that has no meaning in this discussion.

Let's assume Tavares was coming home.

Was he supposed to sign with the Mississauga Steelheads? :laugh:

I'm absolutely shocked anyone would make this point. First time I've heard it. It's usually a topic with cities/towns closer to Windsor due to Detroit.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
It is hilarious that you have some teams like any of the Canadian teams further west than the Leafs and players from like an hour+ outside of Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc. are all considered to be generally "local" players, even though you look at a map and the town is noticeably distant from the cities that have NHL teams

But if you get ~15-30 minute drive outside of Toronto proper (only that long because of traffic:laugh:), these guys are not hometown players!!!!!
Lol.

Reactions: PullHard

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Toronto is our hometown.

Exactly. But but it’s the mainboards where stupidity trumps reality.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad