Which players are playing for their home town teams?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
As the title states, which players are currently playing for their hometown teams?

The Pens don't currently have anyone from Pittsburgh, but Sam Lafferty is from central PA which is generally considered part of the Penguins' territory.

I'm sure the Leafs have several.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Johnny Tavares
Mitchell Marner
Joe Thornton
Charlie Coyle
Matt Grzelcyk
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Jonathan Drouin
Adam Fox (from Nassau County, Long Island but still Rangers country)
Dylan Larkin
Danny DeKeyser
Luke Glendenning
Cody Eakin

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
for the Bruins:

Grzelcyk (Charlestown): been highlighted many times that his dad works the bullgang at The Garden
Wagner (Walpole)
Coyle (Weymouth)

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'll do Minnesota:

NHL:
Bjugstad
Parise
Stalock

In the system:
Menell
Swaney
Hentges.

These are all players from the State. If you include Wisconsin/ND since I guess the Wild could at least claim the Dakotas as their fandom and the Hockey part of Wisconsin is normally towards the Minnesota side of the state. the number goes up by 2(?)

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Johnny Tavares
Mitchell Marner
Joe Thornton
Charlie Coyle
Matt Grzelcyk
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Jonathan Drouin
Dylan Larkin
Danny DeKeyser
Luke Glendenning
Cody Eakin

Joe Thornton is from St Thomas, outside of London. Close-ish to Toronto but still a 2 hour drive.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Off topic. But there seems to be no current NHL players with a New York accent. Not even Fox who is from Nassau County.

And New York accent means NYC area (Five Boroughs). Not Western NY.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Johnny Tavares
Mitchell Marner
Joe Thornton
Charlie Coyle
Matt Grzelcyk
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Jonathan Drouin
Dylan Larkin
Danny DeKeyser
Luke Glendenning
Cody Eakin

I'm not from there so I don't know for sure but I assumed Nassau would be Islanders territory considering their arena was called Nassau Coliseum?

Or was that just a name?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Joel Farabee was born in Syracuse, NY but his Dad is actually from the Greater Philadelphia area and the family are all Eagles fans. Close enough.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'm not from there so I don't know for sure but I assumed Nassau would be Islanders territory considering their arena was called Nassau Coliseum?

Or was that just a name?
I mean pretty much any of the NYC, Long Island and North NJ area can be considered home turf for all three of the tristate teams.

There's too much of an overlap of fans of all three in these areas it's hard to claim one area specifically for just one team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Or was that just a name?

Islanders literally play(ed) there but there's tons of Ranger fans there, probably close to 50/50 split

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

Or was that just a name?

I grew up near here (Coliseum) certainly islanders and jets country in the 90's when I grew up. Me and pops were the very few ranger fans around that I knew of where I was on the south shore. Fun times! :laugh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Off topic. But there seems to be no current NHL players with a New York accent. Not even Fox who is from Nassau County.

And New York accent means NYC area (Five Boroughs). Not Western NY.

Anthony Bitetto sort of has one if you listen to his interviews, he's from Long Beach in Nassau.

Tony DeAngelo from South Jersey talks like one sometimes as well.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
As the title states, which players are currently playing for their hometown teams?

The Pens don't currently have anyone from Pittsburgh, but Sam Lafferty is from central PA which is generally considered part of the Penguins' territory.

I'm sure the Leafs have several.

Are we saying it has to be Toronto proper or the Toronto area?

On the Leafs -

Tavares
Dermott
Hyman
Marner
Simmonds
Spezza

After that you have Thornton, Muzzin and Brodie who are from southern Ontario, but not direct Toronto area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad