Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Mattias Tedenby. Thought he could be a poor mans Patrick Kane.

Zach Werenski. I thought he'd turn out to be a bottom pairing D. Boy was I wrong. He's a stud.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I remember being hyped when the Thrashers got Angelo Esposito for Hossa. I knew he dropped in the draft but he seemed to be that guy that had all the skill just needed the right situation/to put it together....

I was at a junior game in Verdun when former Flyers D prospect Marc-Andre Bourdon absolutely destroyed Esposito's knee with a thunderous, open-ice hit. It changed Esposito's career from that point forward.

Sadly, Bourdon did not make it either because of concussion issues. He was going to be a really good one, imo.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Matt finn. Looked like a 2-way do it all defenseman that "just" needed to work on footspeed.

Injuries and a difficult transition to the higher tempo killed his development.

You just can't make it without speed anymore, but i really thought he could be a #2-3 before his AHL years.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
One I was very wrong about was James Reimer. I thought he was going to be one of the best goalies in the NHL. Anyone who watches him regularly can see he has the tools and the skill to be a top goalie, but his consistency is so frustrating.

If he was stronger mentally he'd be one of the best in the game.

IMO with Reimer its not a mental problem but a technical problem. He's a farm boy from a tiny town, so by the time he was noticed by professional hockey people he had already been playing goalie for years and developed some bad habits.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Two recent ones I was wrong about:

1]Yakupov - I got caught up in the flash and dash, and ignored the concerns about his IQ/hockey sense. What Kucherov has become, is what I thought Yakupov would be.

2]Gudbranson - I thought his offensive game would develop. Never into a star, but maybe a Seabrook-type defender. A physical #2 or #3 who could also chip in 25 to 30 points per year.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Before trading for Cory I wanted the Devils to draft Hunter Shinkaruk at #9. I was wrong there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can help you. You were pretty wrong about Cody Hodgson from what I can remember.

I don't recall speaking to you 3 years before I joined the forum. Hodgson was already a NHL player when I arrived here. Not a prospect. You would remember incorrectly.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
There are so many to choose from, but as a Leafs fan I can tell you after years and years of failure, I admit I was even wrong about our top 3 young guns.

Auston Matthews: Thought he's a solid two-way player, nowhere going to be good as a McDavid. Thought he's more of a Captain Toews sort of player. Probably an annual 25G, 25A guy. Nope, blew me away with his shot, vision, skating ability and he's still only 19 at 6'3 200+.

William Nylander: Thought he's going to be a guy that can score but wouldn't work hard at all. Estimated him to be a 20G 30A kind of guy. Looks like I'm wrong about that too.

Mitch Marner: I hate admitting this one, but I was quite annoyed when the Leafs wasn't able to get Dylan Strome. I thought Marner is too fancy for the NHL back in junior, that it cannot translate into the NHL game. Think I'm wrong on this too.

As a Leafs fan, after seeing so many prospects that do not pan out, I have all these legit kids completely off.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
There are so many to choose from, but as a Leafs fan I can tell you after years and years of failure, I admit I was even wrong about our top 3 young guns.

Auston Matthews: Thought he's a solid two-way player, nowhere going to be good as a McDavid. Thought he's more of a Captain Toews sort of player. Probably an annual 25G, 25A guy. Nope, blew me away with his shot, vision, skating ability and he's still only 19 at 6'3 200+.

William Nylander: Thought he's going to be a guy that can score but wouldn't work hard at all. Estimated him to be a 20G 30A kind of guy. Looks like I'm wrong about that too.

Mitch Marner: I hate admitting this one, but I was quite annoyed when the Leafs wasn't able to get Dylan Strome. I thought Marner is too fancy for the NHL back in junior, that it cannot translate into the NHL game. Think I'm wrong on this too.

As a Leafs fan, after seeing so many prospects that do not pan out, I have all these legit kids completely off.
So used to disappointment you underestimated actual talent :laugh:

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
So used to disappointment you underestimated actual talent :laugh:

Honestly, I think a lot of Leafs fans will tell you the same thing. We are historically homers about our talents. When Nylander, Marner and Matthews were drafted, we were both shellshocked but also worried they will also be busts. It's finally changing..

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Landon Ferraro, Emerson Etem, Dane Fox, Oleg Saprykin, Milan Kraft, Ross Lupaschuk, Pascal Leclaire, Tyler Cuma, Roman Horak, Brett Connolly, Eric Tangradi, Leland Irving, Ryan Murray, Thomas McCollum, Petr Straka, Maxim Goncharov, to name a few.

Last edited:

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I joined the site before the 2011 draft. So the players are still a bit young to write them off. But Mark McNeil is a surprise to me he has not made the NHL on a full time basis yet.

This one. Also Cody Beach and Colten Teubert. Didn't think any of then were going to be stars, but thought they would be full time NHL'ers for sure.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Thought Jon Merrill was going to be a solid 2 way defenseman

Never thought Manny Malhotra would be an NHL player in any role. Despite never coming close to living up to his 7th overall billing, he fashioned out a nice career as a defensive forward with the occasional flash of offense.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I thought Mattias Tedenby would be the next Marty St. Louis. He could of been a great NHL player but Peter DeBoer ruined him.

Tedenby had a great skill set but the guy was just not strong on the puck and got knocked around everywhere. St. Louis was tiny (generously listed at 5'8, but likely 5'6 or 5'7) but he was built like a tank and had tremendous stamina.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
I thought drafting Sebastian Aho at #35 was a reach. He is now my favorite player.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Landon Ferraro, Emerson Etem, Dane Fox, Oleg Saprykin, Milan Kraft, Ross Lupaschuk, Pascal Leclaire, Tyler Cuma, Roman Horak, Brett Connolly, Eric Tangradi, Leland Irving, Ryan Murray, Thomas McCollum, Petr Straka, Maxim Goncharov, to name a few.

My friends little brother played with him, he hated it. Said the coach told the kids everyday to "get Dane the puck and get out of his way" Remember playing road hockey with them when friends bro and Dane were like 10-11 and Dane already had an attitude issue/thought he amazing. If you stole the puck or beat him in anyway he'd freak out

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Just so much disappointment in the past eh :laugh:

Oddly enough there were some Leaf fans that legit wanted Nylander/Marner (me) and were fighting with others ones trying to get people to see the light. Reminds me of Brannstrom this year.

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York
Another kid I was pretty hyped on I dont think was mentioned yet, was Evgeny Grachev thought the Rangers got a real steal with him. The following year after his draft year he looked awesome but fizzled out afterwards. I'm surprised he never panned out.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
My friends little brother played with him, he hated it. Said the coach told the kids everyday to "get Dane the puck and get out of his way" Remember playing road hockey with them when friends bro and Dane were like 10-11 and Dane already had an attitude issue/thought he amazing. If you stole the puck or beat him in anyway he'd freak out

Damn.

I thought Fox would be good but no lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad