Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
I thought that Lauri Tukonen would become a star. It's too bad he was injured so often.
I have zero doubt he would be in the NHL today without the injuries. Tukonen is one of the most injury prone players I've ever seen and he still managed to become a good Liiga player.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I thought Peter Mueller and David Rundblad would be heckuva players. I also was really high on the Jackets selecting Maxim Mayorov and Kevin Lynch, and thought they'd be strong NHLers... I was wrong.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
When I was younger I pretty much thought every player that made team Canada juniors was going to be a star in the NHL. So in that sense I was wrong a lot.

I thought the leafs had a stud goalie in Justin Pogge.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Mikko Rantanen, just because I didn't realize how hard Liiga was to score in at the time, and didn't watch film back then. Just say super low scoring numbers in comparison to the CHL and thought he'd be bad. :D

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
When I was younger I pretty much thought every player that made team Canada juniors was going to be a star in the NHL. So in that sense I was wrong a lot.

I thought the leafs had a stud goalie in Justin Pogge.

So did Leaf management. That is why they traded Tuukku Rask (stud goalie) to Boston.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ah here's a good one - I thought Alex Bourret was going to be a good player. Too chubby unfortunately.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There are countless names, really.

One of the players I really thought would have become an offensive star was Milan Kraft.

I really thought he was the next great Czech talent for the Pens.

Eric Tangradi is another one that comes to mind immediately. Also, Beau Bennett. I still think he can become something, but I thought he was going to be a star.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Yeah indeed, you go right from the possibility of being a great NHL player to the reality of being a good SHL player just because one coach didn't utilize that potential. :sarcasm:

If you were a witness to what went on and how Tedenby was treated you wouldn't be saying that. I consider what happened to him to be the most blatant anti European stance by a coach in my 23 years of watching the NHL. The guy had elite level skills, but DeBoer was way to obsessed with turning him into a two way player when that was never in his makeup. I understand making him a non risk in his own zone but tyring to turn him into a two way player was idiocy. In his rookie year when he was 20-21 years old, his coaches were Maclean and Lemaire he scored 8 goals 14 assists 22 points in 58 games which was 8th on team scoring on the lowest scoring team in the league. Which isn't a bad rookie season to build off of for such a young player who's playing in a different country for the first time and who's barely getting 12 minutes a game. He always had a smile on his face and you could tell he was genuinely having fun out there. Then DeBoer came and he was treated like a second class citizen from the get go. He was held to a higher standard than other players. Pete DeBoer completley destroyed his confidence and hockey now longer seemed fun to the poor kid. He looked clinically depressed in my opinion.

Adam Larsson was also a victim of DeBoer and his resurgence as a player as soon as Pete was fired was a testament to that. Does all the blame go to Pete? Of course not because Adam Larsson had the ability too overcome the mistreatment and now he's one of the best defensive defensman in the entire NHL, and in my opinion is only scratching the surface of his potential. Adam had the mental toughness to do so, he never gets too high or too low and reminds me of Eli Manning in that manner. While Tedenby took things way to personal and it ruined but it also didn't need go down like that. However, under a different circumstance Tedenby with a different coach or team could have been a 60+ point player. He's probably the most naturally talented player we drafted between Parise and Zacha which is a 12 year period. The guy is a seriously skilled hockey player. Peter DeBoer is the worst coach to have for developing young players, he needs to coach veteran hockey teams and he does a good job at that.

Also, I miss typed I meant to say a poor mans St. Louis. I never thought Mathias Tedenby would be PPG player in the NHL.

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Jesse Puljujarvi. I seriously thought he had star upside. Now trending towards decent middle 6er.

What? Im not an Edmonton fan by any stretch but how on earth do you come to this conclusion after one year where he put up very good AHL numbers

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

One of the players I really thought would have become an offensive star was Milan Kraft.

Eric Tangradi is another one that comes to mind immediately. Also, Beau Bennett. I still think he can become something, but I thought he was going to be a star.

I still think he could have been one if it wasnt for all the injuries. He had great vision and an accurate shot. Its too bad he couldnt string together 5 games without getting injured.

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Sven Baertschi
Jack Campbell
Matt Tkachuk
Yakupov (obviously)
Ryan Murray
Hunter Shinkaruk
Jeremy Morin
Scott Glennie
Anton Rodin
Louis Leblanc

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Hawks drafted a few guys that I thought would do better: Jack Skille, Billy Sweatt and Kyle Beach (not too surprised about Beach). It's a good thing they got Toews and Kane (and Seabrook for that matter) because their 1st round drafting has been fairly atrocious.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sven Baertschi
Jack Campbell
Matt Tkachuk
Yakupov (obviously)
Ryan Murray
Hunter Shinkaruk
Jeremy Morin
Scott Glennie
Anton Rodin
Louis Leblanc

I'm hoping you were expecting Tkachuk to bust, because he had a fantastic rookie season.
AS for the other bolded, both have been competent NHLers that have shown glimpses of their skill and room to improve. Baertschi will likely put up 50~ points next season, which is pretty decent for a top 6 winger, and is in line with what you'd expect at 11th overall. Murray has been a dependable top 4 dman, but I could see why you'd be disappointed with him being a #2 overall pick.

Anton Rodin has had his career derailed by injuries. I hope he gets one last shot, as he has shown he can be a great player.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007

Oh man. Milan Kraft. I was totally wrong on him too. I partially blame Eastside Hockey Manager for raising my expectations too much :nod:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I had higher expectations for Cam Barker as another mentioned.
Thought Linus Omark might stick around longer than he did.
Chuck Kobasew had a pretty disappointing career.

Reactions: degustator

whlscowt

I've been pretty bad with goalies, I thought Sateri would be at least an NHL backup, I thought Salak would be a starter, I thought Varlamov would be better than Holtby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad