Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
too many to name. Hodgson, Rodin to name a few, a ton of players from 2014.

Yakupov, ryan Murray .

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Mostly swedes, I was a big fan of that 90/91 age group. I thought all of Markstrom, Paajarvi, Tedenby and Petersson would be really good.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
In particular: Canucks I thought were going to be stars on the team, and beloved by the city of Vancouver for a good long while: Cody Hodgson, Fedor Fedorov, and Jason King

Canucks whose careers I didn't think would add up to much: Ryan Kesler

Oops.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
From the Canucks -
Overestimated - Shinkaruk, Suban, Virtanen
Underestimated - Tryamkin

Other teams
Overestimated - Gurianov, Lazar, Bennett
Underestimated - Rantanen, Draisatl, Sergachev

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The guys I've been the most wrong about:

Robert Nilsson - When he first came up, I thought his passing ability was amazing, and that he would really produce when other players got used to his game. Man, I was wrong.

Ryan Strome - I thought he was well on his way to becoming a consistent 60 point (20-40) player. I thought his hockey sense and decision making, which he showed in the NHL for a full season, would be enough to overcome his meh skating and strength. When his decision making went downhill, he went downhill fast, and he hasn't looked any different on Edmonton.

Calvin de Haan - I thought his injuries and lack of strength would stop him from being a good NHL defensman. Well, I was wrong and right - he's a very good NHL defenseman when healthy.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Mathew Barzal : I thought he would be some middle six center 50 to 65 pts at best. Hell I admit that I wanted him in the draft without knowing Rantanen and I was wondering why he fell that bad in the draft. So I apologize to Isles fans for thinking that Barzal would probably never be what Duchene is in trade proposal even if I'm still very happy with what we've got in that trade. Now I eat my words seeing how good he is :(

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Well ..... Wayne Gretzky, believe it or not. I first saw him when he was sixteen. He was about 5’8” and perhaps 150 in his equipment at that point. More importantly, he was quick in short spaces but definitely not fast on his skates. Small guys have to be fast, right, especially in the 70’s! If you ever saw Keith Gretzky play, that’s what he looked like.

I think Wayne got three goals and two assists in the game but there didn’t seem any reason for it to keep happening. I mean, the kid would go stand in the corner and for some reason the puck would bounce off three players, the back of the goalie’s head and land on his stick. Obviously it was just luck and it couldn’t keep happening ...

Well, he grew a bit, worked very hard on his skating and shot. And that weird thing about the puck landing on his stick. It wasn’t luck. It was magic and Einstein level hockey IQ. It lasted for the next twenty plus years.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Mikhail Grigorenko comes to mind too. I thought he'd be tearing it up at this age. Couldn't believe he fell out of the top 10 at the draft
Me too on this one. I thought that he was going to be the best player out of that 2012 draft class. Unfortunately, I told all of my friends about how good I thought that he would be and I still take flak for it.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Sam Benentt would be the closest. I was so sure he was going to be a star after his playoff series against the Canucks and his 1 preseason game against them where he looked like an absolute stud pulling off toe drags at high speeds, wrap arounds, deflections and etc. He still has a slim chance of becoming a top 6 forward, but it doesn't appear he'll be the star that many had anticipated.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Myself and most other Oiler fans wanted Sam Bennett at the draft

I thought Yakupov would figure it out. Though Carlo was a bad pick that early, thought Trouba was going to be another Tubert

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I thought Kerby Rychel had all the tools to be a high end 2nd line powerforward scorer like a JVR-lite player.

Thought Marko Dano would be something similar to what I thought Rychel was at least in terms of skill, but Dano was bounced around and buried in lineups.

I thought Brandon Carlo would not amount to much. He amounted to a lot very quickly.

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
Stefan Elliott

Tore up the WHL and thought forsure he woulda tore it up in NHL really quickly

I was on the Elliott hype train as well. Thought he would be a leading scorer for D men in the NHL.

Also thought Zach Hamill was going to be a first liner, PPG guy. Too many YouTube highlights for me I guess.

Also thought Marner was going to fail in the NHL. Reminded me too much of Kyle Wellwood initially. Guess I was wrong on that one too.

Brando

May 21, 2017
In recent memory, I was really high on Alex Nylander (over players like Keller for example) and Mike McLeod. I also severely underestimated Nikolaj Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad