Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Evander Kane. All the tools and determination to be a 40 goal scorer. Unfortunately, let his personal demons derail a promising career.

I thought Lukas Sutter would make a great bottom 6 grinder, after being drafted in 2012. I was blinded by the Sutter name.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cody Hodgson.

The way he looked in Junior looked like he would be one of the top centres in the league. Kind of how Ryan Johansen is now but way more dominant.

Evander Kane.

Looked like the next Iginla, but ended up being much worse. All he has shown is that he has speed, has bricks for hands and isn't a team player at all.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Zack Kassian. Was bummed the Wings wouldn't be able to draft him at their draft position.

Reactions: Fables

dylan pendergast

Mar 15, 2018
Players i though would be amazing: kris beech, Konstantin koltsov, Milan kraft, mikael Holmqvist, Benoit Pouliot, Vladimir Mihalik, Jonathan drouin, alex svitov, and Ryan strome

Players who were better then i thought: Dany Heatley, Martin havlat, Marian Hossa, dylan Larkin, Roberto Luongo, alex galchenyuk, and the Sedin twins.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Cody Hodgson.

The way he looked in Junior looked like he would be one of the top centres in the league. Kind of how Ryan Johansen is now but way more dominant.

Evander Kane.

Looked like the next Iginla, but ended up being much worse. All he has shown is that he has speed, has bricks for hands and isn't a team player at all.

Hodgson got derailed by injuries. After his back injury he was never the same. If he didnt go through that he could have been dominant.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Mattias Tedenby. Thought he could be a poor mans Patrick Kane.

Zach Werenski. I thought he'd turn out to be a bottom pairing D. Boy was I wrong. He's a stud.

What about Werenski's game would make you think he would be a bottom pairing D? He dominated pretty much every level he was on. Draft year as an accelerated player, draft + 1 PPG, dominated WJC, dominated AHL.

All the tools and size to be great.

Reactions: schnapshot

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Jonathon Blum

I really thought he would've been our franchise defender.

You’re not alone. Blum was very highly regarded and I can see why you thought that way.

For me I thought Stuart Percy was going to be a top 4 stabilizing presence for many years. He even had a good first showing, but fell off completely into the abyss.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Have really only starting looking deeply into prospects these past two years so its too early, but I though ben hutton was going to be a solid offensive dman. Might be right still, but looks like I am wrong.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For now, Brock Boeser. Didn't think he was a bust or anything but I had him pegged on a lower tier than Kyle Connor and the same tier as a Kapanen, Fischer, Vrana type. Thought he had a good shot (right now, his numbers suggest more of an elite shot, possibly riding a bit on puck luck, but small sample size), but a underwhelming skater and not great with the puck on his stick. Doesn't really matter though if he retains his shot and scoring instincts.

If he sells me on his sophomore year then I'll admit to being wrong on that.

Other misses are Yakupov, Grigorenko. Though I still feel Yak didn't have the best developmental situation, I did think highly of Grigs....at the very least as a #3C type, not out of the league in his prime years.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I thought Matt Puempel was gonna be a star. Nope. Also thought Claude Giroux was never gonna be anything special.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I had Necas toward the end of the 1st in his draft year. He’s clearly a top 15 overall prospect heading into this season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tater Tot Olson
Carl Neil
Hunter Shinckaruk

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Janne Pesonen: I lived in Wilkes Barre so I had the privilege of seeing him for a full season after he was signed by Pittsburgh in '08-09. He stood out so much on the ice that I was sure that he would have a permanent spot in the NHL for years to come.

Reactions: Nicos

member 116861

Stefan Elliott

I was convinced that him and Tyson Barrie were going to be elite offensive defensemen.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Just off recent years:

Ryan Strome
Pavel Zacha
Jesse Puljujarvi (potential is still there but I also thought he was way more pro-ready than he was)
Kerby Rychel

David Pastrnak (mostly after the hype after his rookie year)
Bo Horvat

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad