Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

Brando

May 21, 2017
I've been wrong about quite a few prospects.

Nathan Beaulieu: Thought he would be a Top 4 D and a powerplay quarterback.
Zach Phillips: Thought he was a bottom 6 player at the very least.
Sebastian Collberg: Thought he would be a Top 6 goal scorer.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Dalton Thrower. Really thought he had the tools, drive and toughness to become a quality NHLer.

I thought Dumba was going to bust hard. He was one of the worst Canadian WJC players I had ever seen and Sutter was so insistent on using him.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Off the top of my head...

Players I thought would be better: Nail Yakupov, Griffin Reinhart, Ryan Sproul, Dylan Strome (so far), Brayden Schenn, Derrick Pouliot, Joe Morrow, Stuart Percy, Magnus Paajarvi

Players I didn't think would do as well as they have: Matthew Tkachuk, Mathieu Perreault,

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Brett Sterling. I wasted a 1st round pick on him in my keeper league after he set fire to the AHL...55 goals and 97 points in his first pro season. Never came close to being able to replicate that in the NHL, despite getting more opportunity and cups of coffee than most prospects do, especially 5'7" prospects. He's still playing, was back in the AHL last year after several seasons in various Euro leagues.

That taught me a lesson about overvaluing AHL production.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Paging everyone who contributed to the 1930299365 Johnny Gaudreau threads on this forum...

As for me, I was wrong about Tkachuk and very happy about it.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bogosian
L.Schenn
Cowen
MSP
Campbell

Just a few that come to mind as of right now

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Bogosian
L.Schenn
Cowen
MSP
Campbell

Just a few that come to mind as of right now

Yeah, ditto. I wanted Cowen ahead of Kadri at the draft, and I was a big fan of trading up to pick Schenn. Also figured a number of players taken in the 2008 Entry Draft, like Filatov, Hodgson, Tuebert, et. al. would have been NHL mainstays. I'll never claim to have a good or great handling on prospects anyways.

Like an old man reminiscing about war stories, I recall a poster with Pääjärvi-Svensson in their username that shoveled more coal into the engine of that hype-train than I have even seen on these boards. It was unreal. Wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Paging everyone who contributed to the 1930299365 Johnny Gaudreau threads in this forum...

For me, I was wrong about Tkachuk and very happy about it.

:laugh:

For me, I was definitely wrong about Max Reinhart, Kenny Agostino, and Greg Nemisz. I thought all three would be solid middle 6 forwards.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I was pissed when the Wings took Dylan Larkin over Robby Fabbri. Fabbri still looks to be a really good player, but I'm happy to eat crow on that one.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Players I thought would be great in the NHL:
Pavel Brendl, Maxime Ouellet, Ari Ahonen, Alex Svitov, A.J. Thelen, Jarred Tinordi, Brett MacLean, Thomas McCollum, Taylor Doherty...I'll stop because this is a large list.

Some were longer shots than others like MacLean & Doherty. I'm a big fan of goalies so there are more on this list. I also had a Marcel Cousineau jersey as a kid...signed.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Erik Karlsson. Remember getting mad in 2008 when Ottawa picked him. Boy was I wrong.

Angelo Esposito. Remember when Pittsburgh picked him in 2007, figured him, Crosby and Malkin would have been all kinds of good for the Pens. I was wrong there as well.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I usually try to avoid strong opinions on what prospects will become considering how volatile development can be. I guess the most recent miss would be Tkachuk, whom I thought would look like a more limited player when not on the same line as two great junior players like Marner and Dvorak. Instead, he did an immediate and perfect transition to the NHL, and look like quite the find.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Erik Karlsson. Remember getting mad in 2008 when Ottawa picked him. Boy was I wrong.

You and a lot of folks...I'll never forget the grumpy buzzing of the crowd in Ottawa when Karlsson was picked, and Pierre Maguire trying to console them all...lol. At least he knew what they were getting.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad