Which Pair Will Make the Best Dynamic Duo

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com
Sorry RNH is NOT a franchise player.

Don't be a fool. IN YOUR OPINION he's not. Don't speak in absolutes like you have actually watched him play or have some scouting acumen or position.

Lets see him put up the points Spezza did. Remember talk is cheap. And Hall is pure offensive player, so don't make him out to be this stud 2 way smash mouth hockey player. He is a speedy sniping winger, nothing more. A playmaking center who can also score 30 goals is more valuable than that. If RNH is anywhere near what you think he will be, chances are he will be more valuable than Hall.

Sure Spezza gets injured but that hardly makes him any less of a player, if anything he is a better 2 way player than that 20 year old that put up 90+ points in 60 games. Remember Spezza is also better than ppg player in the postseason and a proven performer in the playoffs.

Hunh? Hall was already facing top opposition as a rookie with a huge Corsi Rel (10.3), and the second best at drawing penalties in the league. And he scored 22 in 65. He is without a doubt well on his way to being an excellent two way player.

Contrasting that is Spezza, who was second worst on his team in GAON/60 for forwards who played at least 40 games. Not to say that I think Spezza is bad, he's an excellent offensive player, but his defensive game has never been his strong suit.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Strome over Lando :shakehead

Lando?

Lando_WoSW.jpg

But yeah, he should be above Strome.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Honestly I think RNH and Hall are the only ones that actually play on the same line consistently. I'd say that Tavares and Strome will probably be 1-2 centers, not Strome on Tavares' wing. I also think that unless there are chemistry problems, Landeskog will play with Stastny.

4thliner*

Don't be a fool. IN YOUR OPINION he's not. Don't speak in absolutes like you have actually watched him play or have some scouting acumen or position.

I have WATCHED RNH play a ton in the WHL, about as much as Jared Cowen this past year along with Baertschi and McNeill.

SO if you don't think RNH is 'franchise' material that means I haven't seen him? Forget about his awful series against Medicine Hat, I've seen him a lot in the REGULAR season when he was tearing it up in the 2nd half.

Who rated him as a "franchise" forward coming to this draft? otherwise there would be no debate on who was going 1st overall in February. He is not much better than the guys drafted just behind him alal Landeskog, Huberdeau etc and even THN Draft issue did not have the word "franchise" next to his potential as a forward. This was a guy who was ranked 3rd in NA by CSS in mid season and you are trying to make a hopeless case of RNH being the "franchise" player in the draft devoid of one.

At any rate, you now have him and you spent a 1st overall pick on him. So hope that he turns out as good as you think he is and players picked behind him don't become better than him.

Last edited by a moderator:

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Strome - Tavares the most. They'll be scariest on the power play with tic tac toe plays and ridiculous hands.

Hall - RNH wil be fun to watch because it'll be no look passes springing Hall everytime you blink, their breakout should be scary.

Duchene - Landeskog will be the line to put out on a 4 on 4 situation your teams best versus their teams best those. their 2 way games are going to be sick

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
I have WATCHED RNH play a ton in the WHL, about as much as Jared Cowen this past year along with Baertschi and McNeill.

SO if you don't think RNH is 'franchise' material that means I haven't seen him? Forget about his awful series against Medicine Hat, I've seen him a lot in the REGULAR season when he was tearing it up in the 2nd half.

Who rated him as a "franchise" forward coming to this draft? otherwise there would be no debate on who was going 1st overall in February. He is not much better than the guys drafted just behind him alal Landeskog, Huberdeau etc and even THN Draft issue did not have the word "franchise" next to his potential as a forward. This was a guy who was ranked 3rd in NA by CSS in mid season and you are trying to make a hopeless case of RNH being the "franchise" player in the draft devoid of one.

At any rate, you now have him and you spent a 1st overall pick on him. So hope that he turns out as good as you think he is and players picked behind him don't become better than him.

Okay but how do you know he won't be a franchise player? only time will tell...

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton

There is an interview with Tyler Bunz, the Medicine Hat goaltender and he goes on to talk about how whenever RNH was on the ice, they would immedialty mark him with a man and in their own zone double team him. He was the entire teams primary focus at all times. Look at the best player in the world Sidney Crosby for a second. He was a marked man in the 2010 Olympics and up to his OT gold medal winner, you barely noticed him out there. I'm sure RNH learned from that experience against Medicine Hat and I bet next time he will find a way to make things happen, regardless of what sort of heat the opponent brings.

Also the Oilers are more of a dynamic trio rather than duo and that can't be overlooked. RNH being a pure passer and Hall being a pure sniper I feel like this is a match made in heaven. Factor in the combination of sniping, and passing that Eberle possesses, and that line seems to have all the ingredients to be an absolute force, and pleasure to watch (especially for Oilers fans).

zeus3007*

I don't see Tavares and Strome being on the same line, but to answer the question correctly, RNH and Hall will be the most dynamic. I'm not sold on Landeskog or Strome reaching the same level as Duchene, Tavares, Hall and Nugent Hopkins.

zeus3007*

Umm...you can't be serious.

1. John Tavares
2. Matt Duchene
3. Taylor Hall
4. Ryan Nugent Hopkins
5. Gabriel Landeskog
6. Ryan Strome.

That looks about right...although I could see the top 3 ending up in any order.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That looks about right...although I could see the top 3 ending up in any order.

It's tough to say because Hall has only had 1 season, while the bottom 3 haven't played in the NHL at all. I personally take Tavares ahead of Duchene as he really came on post-allstar break last year and I think that'll translate into a monster year this year.

zeus3007*

By February, the debate was pretty much settled, wasn't it? TSN already had him first. He was ranked 3rd in North America at mid season, you are correct, but by the end of the season he was very close to unanimous at first overall.

And if you had watched RNH as much as you say you did, you would know that Medicine Hat double teamed him in the playoffs, he tore Edmonton apart the round prior, and he put up points in bunches with next to nobody playing on his wing (Andrei Kudrna? Who?). You didn't notice his jersey on the ice? Too bad, you missed some beautiful hockey for the most part.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com

fact
1. A thing that is indisputably the case.

spec·u·la·tion
1. Guess: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence.

Which one do you think your post falls in?

Thanks for completely missing the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad