Which option would you take as a player

Which option?

• Total voters

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'll take option 2. Win the cup and I'm sure I would find a way to survive on 85 million. :laugh:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's almost like they care more about winning the Stanley Cup than getting paid for playing in the playoffs. Shocking!

Almost like its not their job at that point, which isn't shocking because thats exactly what I was saying.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Let's be real...

In reality there's maybe 15 percent of the league with any meaningful chance of winning a Stanley Cup in any given year and the majority of NHLers never win one.

Many players sign multi-year contracts with teams we all know have basically zero chance of winning anything, anytime in the foreseeable future...yet they sign...for the $$$$$.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
85 vs. 155 million to me is completely irrelevant. Both sums might as well be infinite money. So I'll pick the one where you don't have a regret

Reactions: Thenameless

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I really want to vote for Option 2 but that basically means you're paying $70 million for a single Cup win - I don't think it's worth it.

When you're telling the grandchildren stories of your days playing in the NHL, you'll realize that winning a single Cup was easily worth the 70 million. No one brags about how much grandpa made. Now, if grandpa had won a Cup....

Reactions: Morrison

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Option 2 easily for me.
You get the thrill of winning at least one Stanley Cup and more money than you'll ever need to be happy. And at 85 million career earnings, it means you were a pretty good player.

Option 3 is nice for the Cups but with "only" 15 million in career earnings (more than enough in normal circumstance IMO), that means you were a 3rd or 4th line plug.

Option 1 is fine if you think moar money means more happiness. You are a Crosby level player that will forever be perceived as a loser. Enjoy the extra 70 million that you would wish you could trade in for at least one Cup.
These are my thoughts exactly.

I would rather win at least 1 Stanley Cup, even if it means giving up $70 million dollars.

Because let's face it: What are you going to do with that extra $70 million anyways?

Making $85 million would be more than enough to live off of for the rest of my life, and pass-on a fortune to my children and grandchildren. Especially if it is invested properly in a well-diversified portfolio.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I really want to vote for Option 2 but that basically means you're paying $70 million for a single Cup win - I don't think it's worth it.
It is definitely worth it.

Unless you enjoy wasting money on extravagant and unnecessary purchases, making only $85 million will be more than enough to live off of for the rest of your life.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
With 70 million extra dollars I can throw a few hundred thousand to make a Cup replica and then buy an island.
That wouldn't be a true championship though. You wouldn't have the experience of winning the championship.

What you just described is the equivalent of what the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase once did.

He could never win the WWF championship, so he went and paid a jeweller to create a Million Dollar Belt for him.

It was shiny. Full of diamonds and gold. But he never got to have the true experience of winning the WWF belt, like Hulk Hogan or Macho Man did.

Reactions: The Macho King

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Option 2 for sure.

Quality of life doesn't really change that much after a certain point haha.
Exactly.

You could pretty much like like a king if you made $85 million in your career.

An extra $70 million doesn't change a lot, except being able to afford a few extra toys that wouldn't replace the feeling of winning a Stanley Cup.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
People thinking there’s ‘not much difference’ between $85 and $155 million... Take the $155 million and then donate half to charity. Insane not to take the sizeably more amount of money.
You could still make large charitable donations at $85 million career earnings.

I get that making an even larger charitable donation would be a particularly honourable humanitarian move.

But a professional hockey player has most likely dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup for their whole lives, so it isn't selfish for them to embrace winning and making only $85 million as opposed to $155 million. Even if it means making a lesser charitable donation.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I'm a bit confused at all those saying that 70 million isn't a big difference. Remind me to never hire you as my company's CFO. In the hands of a business-savvy investor, that extra 70 million is MASSIVE for generational wealth growth, especially assuming how much of your earned wages have already been eaten up by taxes.
A savvy investor can make $85 million turn into generational wealth.

You don't need $155 million for generational wealth.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Could a player even take a 70 million pay cut to chase a Stanley Cup?

If a guy like Tavares turned down a 7 year, 77 million dollar deal in Toronto to play in Washington under a 7 year, 7 million dollar deal with the expectation of at least one 'Cup win I imagine multiple heads within the player's union and the NHL in general would explode.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Option nr. 3... Above some threshold money stop being a factor, as I won't spend them in my lifetime anyway... And all 3 options are above my threshold...

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
In my case I just have 3 siblings who I'd help out, and that's about it. And if 85 million is enough for you than take the 155 million and give away 70 million. Even giving it to charity would be more meaningful than 1 Stanley Cup.

Meaningful for who? Also, now you are making me responsible for people that I don't even know through charity. I can't pursue my dreams 'cos there is starvation in Africa? C'mon. I could also just give 70 million away even if I earn 85 million in my career.

Most rich people were born rich, professional athletes/celebrities losing everything is not a common occurrence, its just noteworthy when it happens.

I don't know what the numbers are today, but there was an article ten years ago where it said that around 60% of NBA players go broke within five years into the retirement. There are other high numbers for players going broke in other leagues as well. Like said, I don't know what the numbers are today, but it's not that uncommon that players have money issues even if they earn big money in their career.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Option 1 for me. That’s generational wealth right there. And not only that, but I could change the lives of so many people. Which to me matters more than a Stanley Cup ring.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Option 1 all day any day and even if they lambast me everywhere for being a playoff choker, a regular season performer etc.

$155mil with some solid investment education and I would have some serious financial clout in the world that $85mil doesn't. I could be a significant angel investor/VC pushing ideas and concepts that matter to me. This isn't a one time infusion of funds, but I assume over something like an 18-20 year career. It's a big difference doubling that kind of salary every year.

The $15 mil question is a joke. After I retire my source of income dries up and 4 cups doesn't buy me a retirement plan. You'd have to assume I was smart and I would just retire with passive investing and Lean FIRE concepts, but in all likelihood I'd end up living a fairly average upper class life. Big house in the burbs, 2 kids, family dog and a Range Rover. Fly premium economy. Certainly not what you think elite athletes would be living.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Option 3. Less money, more cups.

I kind of wish the length of the career were specified. Did I play 15 years to get that 15 million and 4 cups, or just 4?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Option #1, because the NHL is a business and everyone's in it for the money anyway. If they weren't, you'd see superstars take $3-4M deals to all play on the same team and win the Cup every year.

Instead, they all demand $10+M per year once they're eligible for FA, and then they try their best to win the Cup after that.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Option two.

Obviously money is the most important factor, but I imagine the difference between $85M and $100+M has a pretty negligible impact on your every day life. You're still filthy rich at either level.

Give me the Cup. Sorry great, great, great, great, great grandchildren. You'll have to make your own money I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad