Which option would you take as a player

Which option?

• Total voters

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Imagine yourself as an NHL player. You are guaranteed 1 thing, but you only get 1 of these things.

Would you rather:

- Make a guarantee money's worth of 155 million dollars but with no Stanley cup

- Win 1 Stanley cup in your career but only make 85 million

- Win 4 Stanley cups in your career but only make 15 million

Which option would you choose as a player?

Reactions: IlikeEich

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Option 3.

You’re still very comfortable for life, and with 4 cups that pretty much means you’re a regular - if not elite - NHL player for many years.
Agreed. Even if I end up as a Chris Kunitz-level player, I'll take 4 Cups all day every day.

And you're exactly right, $15 million is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, I wouldn't want paparazzi constantly swarming me lmao.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Option 2 easily for me.
You get the thrill of winning at least one Stanley Cup and more money than you'll ever need to be happy. And at 85 million career earnings, it means you were a pretty good player.

Option 3 is nice for the Cups but with "only" 15 million in career earnings (more than enough in normal circumstance IMO), that means you were a 3rd or 4th line plug.

Option 1 is fine if you think moar money means more happiness. You are a Crosby level player that will forever be perceived as a loser. Enjoy the extra 70 million that you would wish you could trade in for at least one Cup.

Reactions: 63 others and bh53

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Option 2 if I was an actually talented player

Option 4 if I was a scrub and got to play for the leafs

Option 1 if it was all guaranteed and I could injure myself/suck so hard I get bought out but get 100% of money stil and retire young with my 155 Million (especially if I had to play for either any of the CAD teams (except leafs) or Boston)

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Option 1, I'd love to win but this is generational wealth I'm looking at here. My children's grandkids would be able to see this kind of money.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I'll take option 1

giphy.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Option 2 if I was an actually talented player

Option 4 if I was a scrub and got to play for the leafs

Option 1 if it was all guaranteed and I could injure myself/suck so hard I get bought out but get 100% of money stil and retire young with my 155 Million (especially if I had to play for either any of the CAD teams (except leafs) or Boston)

Option 1 sounds like the DiPietro method. Got paid to play like 4-5 seasons of hockey and is still being paid 1.5 million per year until the 2028-29 season. He played his last NHL game at age 31 (in 2012-13), his last full season at age 26 (2007-08) . It's quite incredible really.

Reactions: Morrison

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I really want to vote for Option 2 but that basically means you're paying $70 million for a single Cup win - I don't think it's worth it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Option 1.

That's just common sense.

But Option 2 if I win it with the Leafs. That would make the cup win special and fulfilling while still being filthy rich. I would be left with no regrets about my career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad