Which option would you take as a player

Which option?

• Total voters

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Option 1. A Cup isn’t worth $70M

I mean 85 mil or 150 who cares? All semantics at that point unless you are about as economically "responsible" as majority of NBA stars. To be fair one could include 15mil in that company aswell but let's say you wan't to have margin of error for doing some really stupid stuff or doing something really lavish for fun.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Option 2. 85 million is a lot of money. Smart investor could use it to make small fortunes. Family's future would be secured. Also, winning the cup is the goal and winning it even once would be huge. A lot of players don't win anything. There's more to life than money.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Option 2. 85 million is a lot of money. Smart investor could use it to make small fortunes. Family's future would be secured. Also, winning the cup is the goal and winning it even once would be huge. A lot of players don't win anything. There's more to life than money.

More money = always better. For your family, children, their children, and so on.

Also. ~85M$ in career earnings is close to Phil Kessel. Maybe Corey Perry, or Paul Stastny. at 155M$ - you're a Crosby/McDavid/Ovechkin level player. Generational/best in league. Wouldn't that be so much more fun/fulfilling as a career?

People are overlooking the fact that 155M$ means you're best in league. ~85M$ you're only some random star. I'd pick first option easily.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
More money = always better. For your family, children, their children, and so on.

Also. ~85M$ in career earnings is close to Phil Kessel. Maybe Corey Perry, or Paul Stastny. at 155M$ - you're a Crosby/McDavid/Ovechkin level player. Generational/best in league. Wouldn't that be so much more fun/fulfilling as a career?

People are overlooking the fact that 155M$ means you're best in league. ~85M$ you're only some random star. I'd pick first option easily.

That's just your opinion bro.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

This only assumes we're talking about current era salaries. Gretzky for example only took home 46 million over his career, but won multiple cups. Maybe 30 years from now your average star is pulling in 150 million in their career. Matthews for example will have made 70 million when his next contract kicks in at age 27, so it's not farfetched to think the players a tier below him could be making his salary in 30 years assuming inflation. That 15 million dollar and 4 cup player could potentially have been a part of the Islanders dynasty team. It's just another interesting way to perceive the OP's question. I'm pretty sure he means what would you rather have today heh

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This only assumes we're talking about current era salaries. Gretzky for example only took home 46 million over his career, but won multiple cups. Maybe 30 years from now your average star is pulling in 150 million in their career. Matthews for example will have made 70 million when his next contract kicks in at age 27, so it's not farfetched to think the players a tier below him could be making his salary in 30 years assuming inflation. That 15 million dollar and 4 cup player could potentially have been a part of the Islanders dynasty team.

I assume this is today and not 30 years past or present.

But to take your example literally - if 30 years from now you can earn 155M$ as an "average star" - wouldnt it mean you'd barely be a 4th liner at 85M$? Either way you slice it the player earning 70M$ more is the much better player.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I assume this is today and not 30 years past or present.

But to take your example literally - if 30 years from now you can earn 155M$ as an "average star" - wouldnt it mean you'd barely be a 4th liner at 85M$? Either way you slice it the player earning 70M$ more is the much better player.

Yeah I edited my post to say it was just another way to frame the question. Like if you slide the timeline back and forth how it would change the way the numbers looked. Suddenly 15 million isn't such chump change when you made it back in the 80's.

Reactions: bobholly39

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Option 1. A Cup isn’t worth $70M

In terms of your happiness it might, given that you already have $70m in the bank. There are a lot more things you can buy at that level (an even bigger yacht!) but it's not much added happiness once you're already rich. I can't think of anything that would provide the permanent emotional lift of a cup.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Option 2 pretty easily. $85M is still a TON of money...I feel like you reach a point where diminishing utility kicks in. And then winning one Stanley Cup is really all that matters. Anything above that would be a bonus

Reactions: hamzarocks

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
All of these options sound awesome. I'd happily take either of them.

But I'll choose the $155m. For starters, I'm not very good at hockey, so I'd probably just be like a backup goalie or a fourth liner. The 70m extra bucks is probably a bigger deal after a few years have passed.

And I'm assuming all this money is coming from some sort of a giant endorsement deal. I don't want the Stanley Cup to become a joke, with some backup goalie who is only on the team because his rich dad/sponsor thinks it's funny.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Personally, I care more about my team (the Canucks) winning the Cup than I do myself winning it (probably one of the many reasons I didn't make it to the NHL, lol). With that, I would take the 155 million if it was between that and winning a Cup with, say, Chicago or Toronto. Now, if I could win that Cup on the Canucks, I might take the 85 million, since that is an actual dream of mine and would leave me fulfilled enough to MAYBE make up for the lost money. Maybe.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Option 1 easily. The extra 80 million wouldn't just be for me... the whole family can rest at ease for generations with 155 million.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

There is more to life than money... but Stanley Cups are pretty far down the line.

That extra 80 million would help with those other things in life as well.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Imagine yourself as an NHL player. You are guaranteed 1 thing, but you only get 1 of these things.

Would you rather:

- Make a guarantee money's worth of 155 million dollars but with no Stanley cup

- Win 1 Stanley cup in your career but only make 85 million

- Win 4 Stanley cups in your career but only make 15 million

Which option would you choose as a player?

I'd take Option 2. Best of both worlds. I'd be filthy rich AND I'd get to experience winning the ultimate prize.

Reactions: hamzarocks

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Option 2 without a doubt. That's plenty of money to live another hundred years while still being able to set your children up very nicely financially. Also as a competitive individual I'd have the satisfaction of cherishing that Stanley cup memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad