Which option would you take as a player

Which option?

• Total voters

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Option 2.

85 million is nothing to sneeze at, and you can say you won the Stanley Cup. No downside to that at all. 15 million and 4 cups is pretty good too, but depending on where you settle down and your lifestyle that money may not last.
Only difference between 155million and 85 million is an astounding 70 million dollars.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Only difference between 155million and 85 million is an astounding 70 million dollars.

The way I see it is if I'm a NHL player, I've worked my ass off my entire life trying to eventually have a chance to not only set myself up for life, but also achieve hockey's ultimate prize.

Option B is the one that best allows for both of those things. Not only can I say my name is carved on the Stanley Cup for all time, but I'm also set for life with $85 million in earnings.

For me, I do think when you make *that* much money, achieving a hockey goal supersedes going from filthy rich to ridiculously filthy rich.

In a way, it's sort of like a big scale version of me rather making $5 million per year while living in a city I love and being surrounded by friends and family, instead of making $9 million per year living thousands of miles away from any friends and family, in a city I don't really want to be.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
More money = always better. For your family, children, their children, and so on.

Also. ~85M$ in career earnings is close to Phil Kessel. Maybe Corey Perry, or Paul Stastny. at 155M$ - you're a Crosby/McDavid/Ovechkin level player. Generational/best in league. Wouldn't that be so much more fun/fulfilling as a career?

People are overlooking the fact that 155M$ means you're best in league. ~85M$ you're only some random star. I'd pick first option easily.

No Stanley Cup for you.

Reactions: Morrison

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
There is more to life than money... but Stanley Cups are pretty far down the line.

That extra 80 million would help with those other things in life as well.

What makes life worth living is doing things you like with likeminded people. Winning Stanley cup together with your teammates would be just that. Something to cherish with those people and to remember fondly. And not that you can't have fun if you don't win. Of course you can, but athletes want to compete and want to be the best. Everyone wants to feel that satisfaction of being the best. Even for a moment. That's priceless.

85 million can easily cover for a comfortable life for generations if you spend it wisely, invest and don't go buying mansions for everyone who asks. What is so expensive necessity that I need the extra 70 million for?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
What makes life worth living is doing things you like with likeminded people. Winning Stanley cup together with your teammates would be just that. Something to cherish with those people and to remember fondly. And not that you can't have fun if you don't win. Of course you can, but athletes want to compete and want to be the best. Everyone wants to feel that satisfaction of being the best. Even for a moment. That's priceless.

85 million can easily cover for a comfortable life for generations if you spend it wisely, invest and don't go buying mansions for everyone who asks. What is so expensive necessity that I need the extra 70 million for?

providing that comfortable life for other people.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Like-minded as in by coincidence having the same employer? You might be idealizing what a professional sports team is here a little bit.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Option 1, I'd love to win but this is generational wealth I'm looking at here. My children's grandkids would be able to see this kind of money.
Is that really a good thing?

Old money descendants are often weird as hell, shiftless, and struggle to find purpose because they have no incentive to work for anything.

I totally disagree with your reasoning.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
providing that comfortable life for other people.

I could easily do that with 85 million. And whose lifes should I make comfortable? Where does my responsibility of providing for other people end? I have a lot of second cousins who I have never met, should I provide for them as well for example?

It is noble to help and support other people and I would like to do that, but that kind of thinking can cause people to lose it all. Many wealthy sport stars get into money trouble when they buy houses and cars for all their family members and friends. That's not smart and I wouldn't do that. If I am providing for other people I get to decide how to do it and who I support.

And again I say, you can invest that money and make more. Funny thing about money is that if you have it, you can make more. Buy stock, put your money in funds, buy companies, invest in appartments etc. So many ways to do it and make sure that the money lasts.

Like-minded as in by coincidence having the same employer? You might be idealizing what a professional sports team is here a little bit.

Based on what I have heard and seen from professional players and how they have connected with their teammates and made lifelong friendships, I would say that they didn't think of their teammates as just colleagues who happened to work in the same company. A lot of them have played together for years from junior hockey or on national teams or just during their summer training seasons. Everyone training to become better to reach the ultimate goal. That bonds people together. What I always hear from retired players is that they miss hanging out with their teammates and that locker room atmosphere.

Go watch locker room footage of any cup winning team and tell me that the players' relationships are comparable to a relationship of any office workers working in side by side cubicles.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I could easily do that with 85 million. And whose lifes should I make comfortable? Where does my responsibility of providing for other people end? I have a lot of second cousins who I have never met, should I provide for them as well for example?

It is noble to help and support other people and I would like to do that, but that kind of thinking can cause people to lose it all. Many wealthy sport stars get into money trouble when they buy houses and cars for all their family members and friends. That's not smart and I wouldn't do that. If I am providing for other people I get to decide how to do it and who I support.

And again I say, you can invest that money and make more. Funny thing about money is that if you have it, you can make more. Buy stock, put your money in funds, buy companies, invest in appartments etc. So many ways to do it and make sure that the money lasts.

In my case I just have 3 siblings who I'd help out, and that's about it. And if 85 million is enough for you than take the 155 million and give away 70 million. Even giving it to charity would be more meaningful than 1 Stanley Cup.

Most rich people were born rich, professional athletes/celebrities losing everything is not a common occurrence, its just noteworthy when it happens.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'll take option 2. The difference between 85 and 155 might seem like a lot, and it is, but with sound investments you can easily close that gap. You can never do anything about not winning the Cup, and isn't that what the player play for anyway? :sarcasm:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
People thinking there’s ‘not much difference’ between $85 and $155 million... Take the $155 million and then donate half to charity. Insane not to take the sizeably more amount of money.

Donating 50% of your net is extremely generous (foolishly). In most cases you do 1-2%; also most big charities are money-laundering operations.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This is a lot harder than I thought.

And, having given it some thought, I didn't vote.

I'd just let the chips fall where they may, were I a player.
Maybe I get everything. Maybe I get nothing. But that's just part of what makes it interesting. You just don't know.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Donating 50% of your net is extremely generous (foolishly). In most cases you do 1-2%; also most big charities are money-laundering operations.

Well sure... I was just saying for those who claim that $85 mil vs. $155 mil isn't really a big difference. OK then, take the $155 mil, donate $70 mil of it to charity and you're left with the $85 mil that you're happy with. Donating $70 mil to help fight cancer/poverty/starvation, etc. >>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning a Stanley Cup in the grand scheme of life.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm a bit confused at all those saying that 70 million isn't a big difference. Remind me to never hire you as my company's CFO. In the hands of a business-savvy investor, that extra 70 million is MASSIVE for generational wealth growth, especially assuming how much of your earned wages have already been eaten up by taxes.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
NHL players are paid to play. It's a job. $, not winning, is the ultimate goal for every player. If you disagree, take a look around: if McDavid cares so much about winning, why did he take 12.5M that he knows would kill the Oilers chances of building around him? Same with Matthews or Malkin or OV or any other star. Kane/Toews were upset that Chicago is rebuilding because they "want to compete". Well if they really wanted to compete, why are they taking up 21M of the cap between themselves? Why don't the best players take discounts and team up to win? Because it's all about the $$. You work for $ to support yourself and your family. Name on a cup for a city you probably never heard about until you got drafted or an extra 70M in the bank to support your family? What a tough choice. Take the $$ and run.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I'll take the money.

Winning 4 'Cups with the same team would be virtually impossible in today's cap world...so essentially one would have to become a glorified Mike Keane and serially team-hop from contender to contender for a career...and all for a measly 15 million...no thanks.

Winning a single 'Cup would be nice...but it's not worth anything close to 70 million dollars.

Give me 155 million and I'll figure out a way to distract me from the fact that my career went 'Cup-less.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
NHL players are paid to play. It's a job. $, not winning, is the ultimate goal for every player. If you disagree, take a look around: if McDavid cares so much about winning, why did he take 12.5M that he knows would kill the Oilers chances of building around him? Same with Matthews or Malkin or OV or any other star. Kane/Toews were upset that Chicago is rebuilding because they "want to compete". Well if they really wanted to compete, why are they taking up 21M of the cap between themselves? Why don't the best players take discounts and team up to win? Because it's all about the $$. You work for $ to support yourself and your family. Name on a cup for a city you probably never heard about until you got drafted or an extra 70M in the bank to support your family? What a tough choice. Take the $$ and run.
The sole purpose of being an nhl player is to try and win the stanley cup. That is literally your job. That is what your paid for.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Option 1 not close.

The sole purpose of being an nhl player is to try and win the stanley cup. That is literally your job. That is what your paid for.

Its actually not. Players play for free in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad