Which forwards are better than Draisaitl right now?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hell, there are some times this year Oiler fans have seen Draisaitl as better than McDavid. Thats how elite hes been

He was better than McDavid the first 20-25 games or so when McDavid was getting his legs back following that insane recovery he made. In fact I’d argue during that period Draisaitl was the best player in the NHL.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
So you are saying Kuch was a better playoff performer last year than Drai in 2017?? And Drai was better than McD in the playoffs...everybody knows this...
WTF...
And also 5pt and 4pt games don´t count?I would say if someone get so many points in a game in the playoffs thats a + and not a- in my mind...

No I never said Kucherov 19 playoffs were better than Draisaitl 17, not sure where you got that from. Kucherov was bad last year but that was only 3 games and it definitely doesn't weigh more than his 3 great runs. He is a proven playoff performer, Draisaitl is not (no, 13 games isn't proof).

I never said McDavid was better in those playoffs, so again I don't know where you got that from.

Again, I never said 4 or 5pt games "don't count". My point was he got 56% of his pts in 2 games. 7pts in the other 11 games isn't that great. So when oiler fans say "Draisaitl was a beast in those playoffs!" and stuff like that, no he really wasn't. He was a beast in 2 games then average in the other 11.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Parayko is still the more valuable piece to a cup contending team. Draisaitl may be flashy but I doubt he gets by parayko 1 on 1.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
If I had to pick today I would take these guys over him:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Eichel
Kane
Ovechkin
Pastranak
Panarin
Kucherov
Matthews
Crosby

Would think long and hard about these, so coin flip;

Huberdeau
Marchand
Stamkos
Rantanen
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barkov
Marner
Barzal
Malkin

I need to see him without McDavid to really push him up with the big boys.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Sure you could say 10 names depends on what you like and prefer in a player (and everybody would be fine with some of these names) but at this time in season you can also say none...thats the interesting part of this.

Reactions: gtrower

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is this a serious post?

Yes it is. One forward cannot make enough of a difference defensively to make up for one guy being on pace for 20G/71pts and another guy being on pace for 45G and 128pts

You’re vastly overeating not just Couturiers defense, but the impact a forward can have on a game defensively if you think he prevents enough goals to make up for a 57 point difference.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yes it is. One forward cannot make enough of a difference defensively to make up for one guy being on pace for 20G/71pts and another guy being on pace for 45G and 128pts

You’re vastly overeating not just Couturiers defense, but the impact a forward can have on a game defensively if you think he prevents enough goals to make up for a 57 point difference.
What if the forward in question is directly responsible for 60 goals against?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As of right now there's only 2 forwards I'd take over Draisaitl would be Mcdavid and MacKinnon. Players that are close and could surpass him are Panarin, Pastrnak, Eichel and Matthews.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's pretty hard to rank a player of Draisaitl's calibre, as I believe he's in a tier with several other players (Pastrnack, Eichel, Panarin, Kane, Marchand, Kucherov, etc.) there isn't really one particular thing that separates them. In this case, the three players I would most certainly take over Draisaitl would be McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby. After that, it's a toss-up.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I wouldn't expect a Leafs fan to understand the importance of two-way play.
You think it is an intelligent opinion that none of hundreds of thousands of fans can match your "brilliant" insights? Healthy ego on you but not very realistic.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Hell, there are some times this year Oiler fans have seen Draisaitl as better than McDavid. Thats how elite hes been

Über elite > elite

55a60fa433055f38195fb8fac026aa311a472832.gifv

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What if the forward in question is directly responsible for 60 goals against?

If you can find me any forward who is directly 100% responsible for 60 more goals against than another forward then I would LOVE to see proof.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Obviously everyone who chose Eichel also secretly think Matthews as well but are too afraid to say it.

I think the a more important question is how many players could challenge RNH as 3rd best player in the league. I mean that's the direction Oiler fans are headed right?

Dra is a great top 10ish player. A shame you need him to be better than everyone to enjoy him.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yes, hypothetically in a league where that actually happens sure. In the NHL, no forward has ever been good enough defensively so make up for a 50+pt gap in production.
There is more to the game than "bointz" and "defense" but w/e

Jerz

Sep 28, 2019
Matthews 23 goals in last 24 games, Eichel is hot too. Obv Mcdavid and Ovechkin and Panarin, Id say off the top of my head.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There is more to the game than "bointz" and "defense" but w/e

Yep. Now show me any forward who does enough other things at an elite level to make up for a FIFTY-SEVEN point difference in production pace.

Once you do that then you might have a point.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Obviously everyone who chose Eichel also secretly think Matthews also but are too afraid to say it.

I think the a more important question is how many players could challenge RNH as 3rd best player in the league. I mean that's the direction Oiler fans are headed right?

Dra is a great top 10ish player. A shame you need him to be better than everyone to enjoy him.

Every....single..... Leafs..... player.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Yep. Now show me any forward who does enough other things at an elite level to make up for a FIFTY-SEVEN point difference in production pace.

Once you do that then you might have a point.
Toews, who was PPG, was considered as good as Crosby when he was scoring at like 1.5 PPG :sarcasm:

Reactions: nbwingsfan

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Every....single..... Leafs..... player.
The topics on HF don't really support that statement. Usually it's Western Canadian fans who want to compare Leaf players with their own. No group comes close to Oiler fans in "Tell us how great we are" threads. It's been that way since you got McDavid.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
The topics on HF don't really support that statement. Usually it's Western Canadian fans who want to compare Leaf players with their own. No group comes close to Oiler fans in "Tell us how great we are" threads. It's been that way since you got McDavid.

So you're saying there hasn't been tons of Leaf threads on how great/generational Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Zaitzev, Rielly, Dubas, Sandin, Liljegren, Shanahan ect? Good to know your blinders are fully on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad