Which forwards are better than Draisaitl right now?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
You realize Mackinnon has more points than Panarin... And 2nd place on the Avs has less points than Strome right? If this is the reason you think Panarin is better, than Mackinnon certainly fills the same void. And before you counter with "Mack has Rantanen he was just hurt" let me remind you that Panarin has Zibanejad, he was just hurt. And this year alone, Zibs has been better when healthy than Rantanen by a decent bit.

The aves have Rantanen on the team, just in case you didn't know that. There was an argument whole last year until this year's injury about him being the best player in the team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
For me:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Panarin?

wish he didnt suck quite so bad defensively... but hes a hell of a scorer

given that his team lets him go out there 24-25 mins a night... play the entire pp and 3-on-3... gets tons and tons of time with McDavid {and they sure as hell have chemistry} I think his offensive talent has to be considered very good but cant really be distinguished from other guys that score as well with none of these advantages… theres probably around 20 guys I would think could score roughly equal if given these same advantages

but... theres a chance drasaitl could learn to play less selfishly... and if he got his team into the playoffs a few times his overall rank among the greats could get him into the top 10

i think a comparison to a young evegeni malkin is a good comparison. malkin usually makes anyones top 10 list for a given season... even if he didnt make the nhl top 100 all time list. guys who are second fiddle on a team will always live a little in the shadow and be a bit underrated

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't know about right now but when the playoffs start I'll take McDavid, MacK, Crosby, Malkin, OV, Kane ahead of him for sure. Can probably throw in Kucherov, Panarin, Eichel.

Based on what exactly?

Last time Drai was in the playoffs he was a leading scorer for at least a week after the Oil had been eliminated. He was a physical beast and outperformed McD in two hard fought series (vs SJ & Ana).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hell, there are some times this year Oiler fans have seen Draisaitl as better than McDavid. Thats how elite hes been

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Based on what exactly?

Last time Drai was in the playoffs he was a leading scorer for at least a week after the Oil had been eliminated. He was a physical beast and outperformed McD in two hard fought series (vs SJ & Ana).

Based on him being better (McDavid). Based on them still playing at a high level combined with their playoff history (Crosby, Malkin, OV, Kane, MacK, Kucherov). Based on them producing monster numbers carrying their own lines (Eichel, Panarin).

Those playoffs get so overrated. He had 3pts in the SJ series so I don't know how he outperformed McDavid there. But overall he had 16pts in 13 GP which looks great but now consider 9pts came in 2 games (including 5 in a blowout win) so that means the rest of his playoffs was 7pts in 11 GP. Not bad, but nothing great either. Definitely nothing that's going to push him in front of proven playoff performers who are still playing at a high level.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
If I had to pick today I would take these guys over him:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Eichel
Kane
Ovechkin
Pastranak
Panarin
Kucherov
Matthews
Crosby

Would think long and hard about these, so coin flip;

Huberdeau
Marchand
Stamkos
Rantanen
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barkov
Marner
Barzal
Malkin

I need to see him without McDavid to really push him up with the big boys.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
did Draisaitl just magically get better defensively, I remember about a month ago Oiler fans fuming about how he doesent play defence, or care too, it was in every game thread and on the main boards. I haven’t watched the oilers in a few weeks so I wouldn’t know.

The aves have Rantanen on the team, just in case you didn't know that. There was an argument whole last year until this year's injury about him being the best player in the team.

While I take part in that argument a lot it’s also important to remember MacKinnon was third in scoring basically without him or Landeskog for most of the season.

And you might as well not bring up last year, HF changes consensus by month. If we’re going by last year Kucherov is as good if not better then McDavid, Laine is better then Eichel, Gaudreau, Rantanen and Wheeler are all top five wingers.

Based on him being better (McDavid). Based on them still playing at a high level combined with their playoff history (Crosby, Malkin, OV, Kane, MacK, Kucherov). Based on them producing monster numbers carrying their own lines (Eichel, Panarin).

Those playoffs get so overrated. He had 3pts in the SJ series so I don't know how he outperformed McDavid there. But overall he had 16pts in 13 GP which looks great but now consider 9pts came in 2 games (including 5 in a blowout win) so that means the rest of his playoffs was 7pts in 11 GP. Not bad, but nothing great either. Definitely nothing that's going to push him in front of proven playoff performers who are still playing at a high level.

PAnarin and Jack don’t carry their lines. They carry their teams.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If I had to pick today I would take these guys over him:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Eichel
Kane
Ovechkin
Pastranak
Panarin
Kucherov
Matthews
Crosby

Would think long and hard about these, so coin flip;

Huberdeau
Marchand
Stamkos
Rantanen
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barkov
Marner
Barzal
Malkin

I need to see him without McDavid to really push him up with the big boys.

Tune into a few Oiler games. Not playing with McDavid anymore. 22 points in 11 games

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
PAnarin and Jack don’t carry their lines. They carry their teams.

Carrying their teams to what exactly?

upload_2020-2-5_15-53-34.png

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Draisaitl is a top 5 player in the league, but top 3 is more realistic. He's scored 50 goals, is on pace for 46 this year and is on pace for 128 pts after getting 105 pts last year. The top 10 scorers last year were

1. Kucherov 128 pts
2. McDavid 116 pts
3. Kane 110 pts
4. Draisaitl 105 pts
5. Crosby 100 pts
6. Marchand 100 pts
7. MacKinnon 99 pts
8. Gaudreau 99 pts
9. Stamkos 98 pts
10. Barkov 96 pts

Only McDavid, MacKinnon, Marchand and Kane are still top 10 in scoring this year with Kucherov 2 pts out of 10th place and Crosby on a 99 pt pace if he didn't get injured. Draisaitl outscored Marchand and MacKinnon last year and is set to obliterate Kucherov and Crosby's pace if Sid had stayed healthy. The only guys who were in the top 10 last year that are on pace to finish with more points this year than last year are McDavid, MacKinnon, Marchand and Draisaitl. None are set to increase their production at anywhere near the same rate as Draisaitl. He's literally eating the league alive and yes he's absolutely better than your team's guy right now.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
For me right now it’s only mcdavid. I think others are close but drai has been that good.

I have no problem people making arguments for Crosby malkin or makinnon or Panarin tho

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018

So you are saying Kuch was a better playoff performer last year than Drai in 2017?? And Drai was better than McD in the playoffs...everybody knows this...
WTF...
And also 5pt and 4pt games don´t count?I would say if someone get so many points in a game in the playoffs thats a + and not a- in my mind...

Reactions: bucks_oil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad