Which five player core would you build around?

Which five player core would you build around?

• Total voters

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I was counting Svech as #2 in Carolina. I agree I'm pretty high on him (not sure i'd pick him over Makar though, who also looks great).

It's still to me:

Mack > Aho
Ranta > Svech
Makar > Slavin

Ranta over Svech because as you say - more of a surething on offense. I see Ranta capable of hitting ~90-100+ points. Not yet sure Svech will ever reach that, but he could.
I have Slavin ahead of Makar right now because he is a great two-way defenseman. It could change in the future if Makar becomes a legit Norris contender. Then it's Colorado and I'd pick that over Edmonton trio.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Reinhart is a stud too, though? The only thing Rantanen has on him is a PP role that results in scoring more.

Reinhart had the same amount of PP TOI that Rantanen did this year and played more than a full minute more per game overall.

Reinhart had the 12th most TOI of any forward in the league.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No clue.

It sure seems like he had plenty of opportunities though. At some point doesn’t an overwhelming difference in production mean something?
I explained exactly what it means, a difference in role. If you swap Eichel and Reinhart on the Sabres PP, Reinhart would be outscoring Eichel.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I explained exactly what it means, a difference in role. If you swap Eichel and Reinhart on the Sabres PP, Reinhart would be outscoring Eichel.

I don’t think that’s how it works.

Reinhart’s a good player, but I just don’t see him on Eichel’s level.

And I don’t think he’s as good as Rantanen.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Carolina for me. Slavin and Hamilton plus three great F?? Good night. Colorado a close second. Toronto in the mix but the contracts hurt them.

Reactions: Dache

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I voted Colorado, but I also swapped out Nichushkin for Landsekog in my mind seeing as how it was best 5 for everyone else. Or Byram if you wanted to use a future player.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Carolina for me, mainly because of cost. With so many cost controlled players on long term contracts within that core, you have a ton of room to build out the rest of the team. You aren't going to have to make as many tough decisions with this core than you would with the others.

They're all good, though.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m a biased Rangers fan but I think they’re being underrated here.
This season Panarin was the best player in the entire poll, Zibanejad had the highest G/PG in the NHL and was on pace for 60 goals and 100pts, DeAngelo was the 4th scorer among dmen while being 5 years younger than anyone ahead of him, only 2 dmen had more EVP than him, in any other year Fox’s season would’ve been so hyped up, 50pt pace over a full 82 games while being very solid defensively; and Kakko is a 2nd overall pick who could still very well become a superstar.

Reactions: Crow

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Colorado, although a few years ago I was voting for WPG in these polls and that didn't turn out great for them. Turns out you need more than a good core to have a good team. There are many teams, for instance, that wouldn't trade their 5 best players for the Blues 5 best players.

Reactions: bukwas

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Had to go Avs knowing MacK/Makar/Rantanen and Girard are actually rounded out by Landeskog instead of Nichushkin.

Pretty nasty core, and when you consider current contracts it really helps skew it even more. I do like the T.O. core but I think its way too much money.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m a biased Rangers fan but I think they’re being underrated here.
This season Panarin was the best player in the entire poll, Zibanejad had the highest G/PG in the NHL and was on pace for 60 goals and 100pts, DeAngelo was the 4th scorer among dmen while being 5 years younger than anyone ahead of him, only 2 dmen had more EVP than him, in any other year Fox’s season would’ve been so hyped up, 50pt pace over a full 82 games while being very solid defensively; and Kakko is a 2nd overall pick who could still very well become a superstar.

I'm curious 1) how well does DeAngelo do when the team is good enough to require him to play defense and 2) how well does Fox do in a larger role... does he shrink like Shattenkirk or is he able to continue his level of play and 3) was Zibby on a hot streak or is this a new normal.

I don't think the Rangers hit on all three, and I would bet a small amount of money that won't hit on two of them.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
BTW, I think the ideal 5 player core is:

A 1A and a 1B center, one of whom you trust against the other teams top line

1 dman that you want on the ice when you are up that can run a 1st pairing

1 dman that you want on the ice when you are down that can run a 2nd pairing

and a scoring winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I voted Colorado, but I also swapped out Nichushkin for Landsekog in my mind seeing as how it was best 5 for everyone else. Or Byram if you wanted to use a future player.
To be fair T.O left out Tavares, and even buffalo has some players better than Cozens

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
To be fair T.O left out Tavares, and even buffalo has some players better than Cozens
Not sure who buffalo has that is a better core player than Cozens (I don't mean at this moment but near future.) Tavares should be in the post and that would d bump the leafs up.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not sure who buffalo has that is a better core player than Cozens (I don't mean at this moment but near future.) Tavares should be in the post and that would d bump the leafs up.
Yeah I can see the case for Cozens long term. Still hard to go against Olofsson, even Risto actually gets crapped on more than he deserves around here if you ask me

Reactions: Mac Attack

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
BTW, I think the ideal 5 player core is:

A 1A and a 1B center, one of whom you trust against the other teams top line
1 dman that you want on the ice when you are up that can run a 1st pairing
1 dman that you want on the ice when you are down that can run a 2nd pairing
and a scoring winger.

Agree here. Ideally it consists of

Two elite centres, two elite defenceman, and an elite winger.

or

Two elite centres and three elite defenceman.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Toronto
Carolina
NYR
Buffalo
Colorado

For me. Wild cards being...

Can Dahlin boost Buffalo to the top?
Will Matthews continue to be a dominant 50g C moving forward?
Is Svechnikov actually as good as I am thinking he is?
Can Fox and Zibanejad improve on this year, or was it an anomaly?
Will Makar live up to the off the rails hype train following him right now?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Kind of a bummer as a Hawks fan seeing Teravainen and Panarin as part of two core groups on other teams! Just glad Montreal isn't here with Danault ...

Reactions: bukwas

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Colorado, Carolina and Buffalo all are pretty enticing. You get the high end franchise D with Buffalo and Colorado that’s missing from the other groups. Carolina is just a really good mix of D and forwards on good contracts as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad