Which five player core would you build around?

Which five player core would you build around?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Toronto is easily the best 1 through 5.

When you say 1 through 5, do you mean that they are all better than their numerical counterparts as they are listed? So, you would “easily” say Matthews>MacKinnon, Rielly>Dahlin, and Sandin>Hamilton?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Didn't Aaron Ekblad have the same hype when the Panthers drafted him 1st overall in 2014, because he was thought as some game changing defenseman and future Norris Trophy winner. It's fair to say he didn't live up to his draft hype and what has Dahlin done to be considered as valuable?

He’s far more talent than Ekblad.

You might not like it, but Dahlin is probably a top-5 asset in the NHL.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I'm going with the Sabres one slightly over the Avalanche one. I believe an Eichel and Dahlin duo is slightly better than a MacKinnon and Makar duo. The rest is close. I think Girard is slightly better than Ristolainen and Rantanen slightly better than Reinhart, but I also then think Cozens projects as much better than Nichushkin. I would've put Newhook instead of Cozens, and then at that point, I would've had a much more difficult time deciding.
Rantanen is not slightly better than Reinhart. Rantanen is 2-3 tiers higher.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't Aaron Ekblad have the same hype when the Panthers drafted him 1st overall in 2014, because he was thought as some game changing defenseman and future Norris Trophy winner. It's fair to say he didn't live up to his draft hype and what has Dahlin done to be considered as valuable?

He’s lived up to the hype.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Ekblad never had Dahlin's projection, and he was actually pretty awesome this year. He's super underrated due to his mediocre 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Carolina.

The forwards are everything I want in a top line that can play both ways. Aho is not that much of a downgrade from Matthews / MacK either IMO.

Dougie Hamilton and Slavin is just a powerhouse pairing that shits on every other D core on this poll.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Avs quite easily for myself even with sneaking Nishushkin in there. That D core you guys have simmering slowly is gonna be amazing in 2 years. Makar, Girard and Byram soon. You guys have a talented team.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ah yes, because Rantanen notably doesn't play with any good players.
You realize Rantanen 2 years previous from this year which he was injured was top 20 (17th) both years in scoring? Even this injured season he was 1 point shy of PPG. Reinhart has never come close to PPG it's really not close. Both have elite centre men to play with as well. Sure Rantanen plays on a better team but he's out producing Reinhart by a fair margin. Sorry I like Reinhart but he's not in same tier as Rantanen right now.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted Colorado

really good poll though. If it was only 2 players - i'd probably take Dahlin/Eichel and maybe even Matthews/Marner above Mack/Ranta. Makar really tips the scales though, i think he's going to be great. No one else here has 3 players as good as them. Overall it's close though

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Voted Colorado

really good poll though. If it was only 2 players - i'd probably take Dahlin/Eichel and maybe even Matthews/Marner above Mack/Ranta. Makar really tips the scales though, i think he's going to be great. No one else here has 3 players as good as them. Overall it's close though
I might have Svechnikov over Makar because he is a surer thing. Aho, Svechnikov and Slavin is an excellent trio.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I might have Svechnikov over Makar because he is a surer thing. Aho, Svechnikov and Slavin is an excellent trio.

I was counting Svech as #2 in Carolina. I agree I'm pretty high on him (not sure i'd pick him over Makar though, who also looks great).

It's still to me:

Mack > Aho
Ranta > Svech
Makar > Slavin

Ranta over Svech because as you say - more of a surething on offense. I see Ranta capable of hitting ~90-100+ points. Not yet sure Svech will ever reach that, but he could.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You realize Rantanen 2 years previous from this year which he was injured was top 20 (17th) both years in scoring? Even this injured season he was 1 point shy of PPG. Reinhart has never come close to PPG it's really not close. Both have elite centre men to play with as well. Sure Rantanen plays on a better team but he's out producing Reinhart by a fair margin. Sorry I like Reinhart but he's not in same tier as Rantanen right now.
Reinhart has his totals suppressed by his PP deployment. Just comparing point totals is useless.

Also it's interesting to note that MacKinnon doesn't really do any worse without Rantanen than with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad