Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yep.
And if there's a team that's proven capable of filling great players leaving it's Boston. You look at Boston and think of the talent they've had to replace over the past 15 years and it's crazy. Until they actually fall off a cliff in the standings - I won't believe it. They're a team that somehow magically finds star players late, an attractive place for FAs, a big market Cap spending team that gets their players on great contracts, and a team that's willing to make big moves to make their team competitive and a team that wants to win.

3-4 years ago people thought their defence would be done. Seidenberg was torched. Boychuk traded. Chara old. Krug too small and not that good. Hamilton traded. Guys like Trotman and C. Miller on the top pairing. etc. yet they have one of the best defences in the league and some great young talent back there.

I'm not saying they'll always be up there - but I wouldn't bet against them.

4 guys: Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Krecji

They have been at the top of the league for 10+ years because of that core

Everyone else has transitioned out and been replaced. Thomas to Rask being the most obvious.

I'm not knocking them, they've had a marvelous run.

There's been lots of pieces moved in and out, but those 4 have been constant and father time is coming for them.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It’s really only a matter of time for Ottawa. That San Jose pick for them this year, is so huge. It would help a lot if they could land Lafreniere, but even if the lottery balls don’t bounce their way it could still work out.

Avs fans know well, that sometimes losing the lottery pays off, if you can pick the right player.

The San Jose pick is huge but all it does is make up for the fact that they gave away a top 5 pick last year to Colorado. I just don’t see it with Ottawa. They have no elite talent and that’s the hardest thing to find in this league. Not to mention there’s the Melnyk factor, will he spend money on the team? Will he get involved with hockey operations and try to rush the rebuild because he needs that playoff revenue?

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The San Jose pick is huge but all it does is make up for the fact that they gave away a top 5 pick last year to Colorado. I just don’t see it with Ottawa. They have no elite talent and that’s the hardest thing to find in this league. Not to mention there’s the Melnyk factor, will he spend money on the team? Will he get involved with hockey operations and try to rush the rebuild because he needs that playoff revenue?

The Melnyk factor is definitely an issue.

In terms of elite talent, I’d put Chabot there. And with two, top-5 picks they’ll be adding more elite talent soon. It’s just going to take a few years for the Sens to turn it around.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

In terms of elite talent, I’d put Chabot there. And with two, top-5 picks they’ll be adding more elite talent soon. It’s just going to take a few years for the Sens to turn it around.

last year I thought Chabot was well on his way to being elite but this year he’s kind of taken a step back. I think Brady could become one of the best power forwards in the league. Who knows how this rebuilds gonna go for them. we’ll have to wait and see how their prospects develop and what kind of moves they make. But as of today they haven’t shown they belong on this list.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

last year I thought Chabot was well on his way to being elite but this year he’s kind of taken a step back. I think Brady could become one of the best power forwards in the league. Who knows how this rebuilds gonna go for them. we’ll have to wait and see how their prospects develop and what kind of moves they make. But as of today they haven’t shown they belong on this list.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Colorado (Mack and Mak will lead them to the promise land)

Tampa ( Their ability to get great players signed to team friendly deals is unrivalled)

Edmonton ( when you have McDavid and Draisaitl all you need is a mediocre team around them. Imagine if they actually get some decent support.)

Toronto (Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Rielly might be the best top 4 players on any team and they are still young.)

Florida (Bob will bounce back, they are loaded with talent and just need to make a few minor adjustments to give coach Q a team he can turn into a contender)

Reactions: BlueBaron

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Teams that are just reaching their peak and will maintain it for the next 5-7 years.

Tampa
Toronto
Edmonton
Colorado
Vancouver
NYR

Kinda a clear top 6 in my mind, though I'm probably forgetting someone.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
The Oilers should be but probably wont because? Oilers.
ColoRADo. sexy team.
Vancouver Cucks everywhere, team should be Alpha though. Core is strong.
Carolina. Elite Defense
Tampa. Reminds me of Detroit in the 90s. Cup should be in the cards.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
wow the Canucks are overrated going by this thread. They are a decent team, but were riding a hot goalie this year. With their goalie injured, they have been falling like a stone.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
wow the Canucks are overrated going by this thread. They are a decent team, but were riding a hot goalie this year. With their goalie injured, they have been falling like a stone.
I don't think an Oilers fan is the best person to be casting a stone in that debate. The Oilers were being propped up by McDavid and Draisaitl and, according to analytics, were far worse a team than their record would suggest. In fact, worse than the Canucks.

You also have to remember that the Canucks have an elite core of young early twenty-somethings, along with a solid prospect pool, and are only going to get better. They just had three back-to-back-to-back Calder nominated/caliber players (if you assume Hughes was a slamdunk nominee and potential winner).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I wouldn’t underestimate Vancouver.

They have an excellent young core. Hughes is 20 and Petterson is 21. Those guys are only going to get better.

And Hughes is a defensive talent the Oilers don’t have and likely won’t for many years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think an Oilers fan is the best person to be casting a stone in that debate. The Oilers were being propped up by McDavid and Draisaitl and, according to analytics, were far worse a team than their record would suggest. In fact, worse than the Canucks.

You also have to remember that the Canucks have an elite core of young early twenty-somethings, along with a solid prospect pool, and are only going to get better. They just had three back-to-back-to-back Calder nominated/caliber players (if you assume Hughes was a slamdunk nominee and potential winner).
the difference is that McDavid and Drai can be depended to be elite for their entire prime.

In this modern era, there is a long track record of goalies being hot for a season or two, and then be mediocre.

And I will say that Vancouver has the talent to be a good team going forward. It's just that the standard of this thread is very high.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
the difference is that McDavid and Drai can be depended to be elite for their entire prime.

In this modern era, there is a long track record of goalies being hot for a season or two, and then be mediocre.

And I will say that Vancouver has the talent to be a good team going forward. It's just that the standard of this thread is very high.

The hardest building blocks to get are a number one centre and a number one defenceman. Van has both and they are already excellent at a young age.

One thing I’ll say on defenceman. As an Avs fan I never truly understood the value of having really elite defenceman until Makar and Girard took centre stage this year.

Super elite puck-movers control the game. They can play a lot of minutes and dictate the play.

Hughes is that guy for Vancouver.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The hardest building blocks to get are a number one centre and a number one defenceman. Van has both and they are already excellent at a young age.

One thing I’ll say on defenceman. As an Avs fan I never truly understood the value of having really elite defenceman until Makar and Girard took centre stage this year.

Super elite puck-movers control the game. They can play a lot of minutes and dictate the play.

Hughes is that guy for Vancouver.
we don't have that top D, but our defense will be very deep and skilled within 5 years. It's already started with Bear and Jones graduating, who aren't even our best prospects. Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse aren't chopped liver either.

I think Bouchard could be that guy you say. He has elite offensive skill already. If he can develop his skating and two way play, he can be among the league's best one day. But really, I don't think we need him to.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
we don't have that top D, but our defense will be very deep and skilled within 5 years. It's already started with Bear and Jones graduating, who aren't even our best prospects. Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse aren't chopped liver either.

I think Bouchard could be that guy you say. He has elite offensive skill already. If he can develop his skating and two way play, he can be among the league's best one day. But really, I don't think we need him to.

Oh, I’m not questioning the Oilers. I really like how that team looks moving forward.

With Draisaitl and McDavid they don’t need to have a great blue line, just a good one. Similar to the Penguins model.

I was just explaining why I think very highly of the Canucks future.

Having a franchise defenceman does a lot for a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Three years ago, i read more than a few opinions on this site on how Bergeron and Krejci were " on the wrong side of 30 " ( krejci was 30, bergeron 31 ). The demise never happened.

Bruins have a current young core that will still be around and doing well for the time period outlined by the OP. Bruins have one of the best bluelines in the league and after Chara, nobody in the regular rotation is over 28 years old.

To me this is key for the Bruins moving forward but their top 2 centers are 33 and 34, if they draft a couple of replacements very soon those those 2 guys sure but that's going to be very difficult IMO.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
4 guys: Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Krecji

They have been at the top of the league for 10+ years because of that core

Everyone else has transitioned out and been replaced. Thomas to Rask being the most obvious.

I'm not knocking them, they've had a marvelous run.

There's been lots of pieces moved in and out, but those 4 have been constant and father time is coming for them.
Marchand played his first full season in 2010-2011. He was far from a core piece then, and even the next few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Three years ago, i read more than a few opinions on this site on how Bergeron and Krejci were " on the wrong side of 30 " ( krejci was 30, bergeron 31 ). The demise never happened.

Bruins have a current young core that will still be around and doing well for the time period outlined by the OP. Bruins have one of the best bluelines in the league and after Chara, nobody in the regular rotation is over 28 years old.

To me this is key for the Bruins moving forward but their top 2 centers are 33 and 34, if they draft a couple of replacements very soon those those 2 guys sure but that's going to be very difficult IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad