Prospect Info: Where would Robertson rank in this draft?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reactions: Hollywood North

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Remembering that Robertson was on a bad team and didnt have nearly the quality of teamates Quinn did, just gonna rehash my stats from earlier (with an update):

Goals per game:

Robertson: 1.2
Quinn: .84

Points per game:

Robertson: 1.86
Quinn: 1.43

"In the past 38 years, only three Canadian Junior players under 19 years old have been able to match Robertson’s mark of 1.20 goals/game: Eric Lindros (OHL, 1990-91), Mario Lemieux (QMJHL, 1983-84) and Joe Sakic (WHL, 1987-88)."

"Over the past twenty years, only two OHL players under 19 have posted a scoring rate above 1.00 goals/game: John Tavares (1.08 goals/game) and Patrick Kane (1.07 goals/game)."

Robertson has since made his NHL debut as an 18 year old in the post season and didnt look out of place and even scored a goal.

If you had this knowledge, bigger or not, how do you not take Robertson over Quinn? Statistically, Quinn isnt in the same tier, he's in whatever tier is lower than Robertson, no?

Because they would have looked at the years going into the draft and thought it was a bit of a lucky season.
33 points and a -27 the year before plus his size I dont think people would be comfortable with that risk

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Because they would have looked at the years going into the draft and thought it was a bit of a lucky season.
33 points and a -27 the year before plus his size I dont think people would be comfortable with that risk

The point is that Quinn is like a week younger than Robertson.

In their rookie OHL season, Robertson put up 33 points and a -27. Quinn wasn't even in the OHL.

In Robertson's draft eligible year, he had 27 goals and 55 points. Quinn had 12 goals and 32 points.

In Robertson's D+1 year, and Quinn's DY, 55 goals and 86 points in 46 games while Quinn had 52 goals and 89 points in 62 games.

Robertson has been much better in all three years and is 8 days older than Quinn. It just happens that it resulted in Robertson being before the cutoff and Quinn to be after the cutoff. If Quinn was born a week earlier, he probably goes undrafted in 2019, or at least very late round, rather than 8th overall. Robertson likely goes above Quinn if he is born a week later.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’d say highest, in the Rossi/Quinn range, 8-10th (8 would be above both, 10 below both). And lowest, Lundell/Jarvis range, 12th-14th.

Either way, looking GREAT for a 2nd round pick!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
The point is that Quinn is like a week younger than Robertson.

In their rookie OHL season, Robertson put up 33 points and a -27. Quinn wasn't even in the OHL.

In Robertson's draft eligible year, he had 27 goals and 55 points. Quinn had 12 goals and 32 points.

In Robertson's D+1 year, and Quinn's DY, 55 goals and 86 points in 46 games while Quinn had 52 goals and 89 points in 62 games.

Robertson has been much better in all three years and is 8 days older than Quinn. It just happens that it resulted in Robertson being before the cutoff and Quinn to be after the cutoff. If Quinn was born a week earlier, he probably goes undrafted in 2019, or at least very late round, rather than 8th overall. Robertson likely goes above Quinn if he is born a week later.

Well Quinn being taller and Robertson being a little slow with his fist two steps he still would have been drafted after Quinn.
Just outside the top ten would be my guess
I could be wrong but both guys will have a lot of work to hopefully make it as NHL players. I highly doubt either are top line players

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
To be fair to Quinn, he's physically a late bloomer that's been on a steep trajectory. He was listed at 5'9.75 145 lbs when he was drafted into the OHL and is now listed at 6'1 179lbs. In his last 40 games he had 42G 66PTS +40, and 22G 56PTS +13 in the previous 91. Maybe he's not BPA at 8th, but he's trending strongly towards a top-6 winger.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Looking on his instagram... looks like he's training every single day... just like during the shut down- every single day. Hopefully he keeps up this work ethic when he makes the big show. Would be great to have a young player setting an example of work ethic and fitness.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Robertson had his last season in his draft year, it is pretty hard for a team to pass on him in the top 10 if not top 5. Actually if he is dropped out of the top 10, we will be hearing he has all types of attitude/character issues or just another Bracco....to justify him not being draft in the top 10 only if he is drafted by the Leafs. If he drafted by any other teams, it will be a direct comparison to DeBrincat and be known as the Steal of the Draft.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Mar 26, 2010
Would he actually have been drafted in the 1st round? Who is rating this?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Looking on his instagram... looks like he's training every single day... just like during the shut down- every single day. Hopefully he keeps up this work ethic when he makes the big show. Would be great to have a young player setting an example of work ethic and fitness.
Is there video again of his workouts?

Mar 26, 2010
There is some info in here on how they manage to rank prospects out. It’s directly attributed to Robertson also.
Yeah, I was not trying to be smart... I really just don’t know how he is rated a top 10 pick.

The current debate is whether or not he would have been a top 10 pick or not.

I don't know anyone who doesn't think he'd be picked in the first.

I am sure if you posted a poll on the main board, the Oiler and Canucks fans would have him as a 7th rounder.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reactions: Hollywood North

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Robertson had his last season in his draft year, it is pretty hard for a team to pass on him in the top 10 if not top 5. Actually if he is dropped out of the top 10, we will be hearing he has all types of attitude/character issues or just another Bracco....to justify him not being draft in the top 10 only if he is drafted by the Leafs. If he drafted by any other teams, it will be a direct comparison to DeBrincat and be known as the Steal of the Draft.
The Debrincat story was a funny one. A lot of us saw the talent in him all along and wanted the Leafs to draft him but so many experts and other folks were very adamant that he was just a product of Dylan Strome and how his play style and size would make him useless at NHL level.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Debrincat story was a funny one. A lot of us saw the talent in him all along and wanted the Leafs to draft him but so many experts and other folks were very adamant that he was just a product of Dylan Strome and how his play style and size would make him useless at NHL level.
If Leafs drafted Debrinct, it will be another small skilled winger....at that time, there are Marner, Bracco, Tima, and Dzeintal(can’t spell his name).
Would have been interesting to see how he developed and the contract he would be asking.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If Leafs drafted Debrinct, it will be another small skilled winger....at that time, there are Marner, Bracco, Tima, and Dzeintal(can’t spell his name).
Would have been interesting to see how he developed and the contract he would be asking.

Yeah, if anything Hart or Hronek would've been a better pick for us at 31 in retrospect than Debrincat.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, if anything Hart or Hronek would've been a better pick for us at 31 in retrospect than Debrincat.

I still think Korshkov could be a surprise for us - but yeah looking back on draft day, what was the purpose of taking a reach/project pick with so many good options on the board if he wasn't the Russian Lindros or something like that? Any team that picks 1st overall should be targeting a guy who can be a complimentary blue chip running mate to the 1st round pick. Not an off the board mystery pick like that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I still think Korshkov could be a surprise for us - but yeah looking back on draft day, what was the purpose of taking a reach/project pick with so many good options on the board if he wasn't the Russian Lindros or something like that? Any team that picks 1st overall should be targeting a guy who can be a complimentary blue chip running mate to the 1st round pick. Not an off the board mystery pick like that.
I always got the feeling that this was supposed to be some sort of "I'm smarter than all of you" pick by Hunter. I still think Korshkov will be an NHL player but it was such a baffling selection. Let's just be glad Hunter isnt running things anymore.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Eh, I don't care with we have a lot of something. You can always move them for a big return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad