Prospect Info: Where would Robertson rank in this draft?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's nothing really against Robertson. The top of the draft is just really deep. Lafreniere is not going to happen. Byfield was very impressive as a young, larger center. Stutzle, Holtz and Raymond have impressed against pro level competition as younger players (and while Raymond is small like Robertson, I think Raymond has a more impressive all-around game). Rossi and Perfetti were the two of the top scorers in the CHL. Drysdale is a very impressive defenseman who could play in the NHL as soon as next year and is a rare right shot. That does not include guys like Askarov, Lundell, Sanderson, etc. and I think that Robertson could have legitimately gone ahead of those guys. Some of the main knocks against Robertson would be his size and the fact that he is a fair bit older than some of these guys (i.e. Byfield is almost a full year younger, while guys like Drysdale and Raymond are around half a year younger).

The fact that he is even being considered in this top 15 is impressive enough for a guy who was taken 52 only one year prior.
Even more impressive as we realize he was born almost 3 months premature, and had he been born even 5 days later, he would have only been draft eligible this year.

Just talking about him being in the range of the top half of the draft is like getting a bonus top pick.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's nothing really against Robertson. The top of the draft is just really deep. Lafreniere is not going to happen. Byfield was very impressive as a young, larger center. Stutzle, Holtz and Raymond have impressed against pro level competition as younger players (and while Raymond is small like Robertson, I think Raymond has a more impressive all-around game). Rossi and Perfetti were the two of the top scorers in the CHL. Drysdale is a very impressive defenseman who could play in the NHL as soon as next year and is a rare right shot. That does not include guys like Askarov, Lundell, Sanderson, etc. and I think that Robertson could have legitimately gone ahead of those guys. Some of the main knocks against Robertson would be his size and the fact that he is a fair bit older than some of these guys (i.e. Byfield is almost a full year younger, while guys like Drysdale and Raymond are around half a year younger).

The fact that he is even being considered in this top 15 is impressive enough for a guy who was taken 52 only one year prior.
I will put up these Ohl stats for clarity. Robertson was 4th in points per game also. Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
You can see in the scoring chart also the 2 players with somewhat equal games fed on powerplay scoring a bit more but equal games might even it up some. They were on top scoring teams also. Robertson just produced with the best of them at around his own age.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
if 5'9 180 pound Brad Marchand can be 4th in the league in points per game after McDavid, MacKinnon, and Kucherov over the last 3 years then there's no reason it should hold Robertson back. I'm not saying Robertson will be that good, but if he's not it won't be because of his size
I just said hurt his draft position, didn’t say how good he will be, but ya he has the skill set at junior,

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Even more impressive as we realize he was born almost 3 months premature, and had he been born even 5 days later, he would have only been draft eligible this year.

Just talking about him being in the range of the top half of the draft is like getting a bonus top pick.
It is a steal pick and scouts missed him 52 times. SDA is no slouch of a pick either at 76

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Cole Caufield was drafted by the Canadiens last year at #15 overall. Also a smaller skill guy like Robertson. I think you could safely say he would be going top 15. If not top 10

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
that shot would be ranked tops in most drafts, that style of play that gm and coaches love, he can skate and has more than enough skills to complement that shot...has 40 goals and 80 points max potential imo

anywhere around 5 be prepared to hear his name i would think

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Lafreniere #1
Strutzle and byfield 2 and 3

Robertson can be compared to marco rossi.

Only 2 week older, okay rossi got 2,14 pts/ game vs 1,87 but he did it in a much better team than robertson, not even close.

robertson in that draft somewhere between 4th overall and 8th.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
His season was definitely one of the best. Laf was the only draft eligible CHL player with more primary points per game, and the QMJHL is known as an easier league to produce in. I think he'd go top 10, depending on other factors

Did he seriously end up with more primary points per game than Rossi? Jesus

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Funny thing is how upset posters were at the time when the Leafs drafted Robertson, because they passed on Brett Leason. I should go dig up those threads. Good times.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Funny thing is how upset posters were at the time when the Leafs drafted Robertson, because they passed on Brett Leason. I should go dig up those threads. Good times.
I absolutely didn't want another re-entry from the CHL high. I hated drafting a guy like Durzi who was 20 and sending him back to the CHL for a year with a 2nd rounder. I feel if you use a 2nd rounder on a guy who is able to graduate out of the CHL to the AHL, he better be ready to contribute at the AHL level, because you expect that of any regular aged draft pick you take in the 2nd.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m just sitting back here like a bandit liking any posts that rank him anywhere in the top 4 to 10. :)
Robertson is a player that is Definitely playing for the Leafs next year if he had been allowed to be developed by the Leafs in the off season.
We should really stop this positive path of giving prospects every tool possible to improve ;).

Has anyone heard yet who the snake teams were that complained enough to the Nhl to have them implement a draconian,discriminatory action against us?

I really want to know this because whoever it was values profit over development and they should be outed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad