Prospect Info: Where would Robertson rank in this draft?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I’m just sitting back here like a bandit liking any posts that rank him anywhere in the top 4 to 10. :)
Robertson is a player that is Definitely playing for the Leafs next year if he had been allowed to be developed by the Leafs in the off season.
We should really stop this positive path of giving prospects every tool possible to improve ;).

Has anyone heard yet who the snake teams were that complained enough to the Nhl to have them implement a draconian,discriminatory action against us?

I really want to know this because whoever it was values profit over development and they should be outed.
from what i heard on tsn 1050

they can still use the arenas and the likes,,,the leafs just can't supply the coaches/trainers and the likes

but ya,,pick on a franchise that has not won a playoff round in about 100 years,,,soooo balanced this league ;(

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Going back to a much earlier thread with the advantage of hindsight: Where would Nick Robertson have landed in this draft, had he been born a week later? Here are three comparisons, two of them almost exactly the same age.

Jack Quinn is 8 days younger than Robertson and was the top goal scorer in the draft. He went 8 overall. Robertson outscored him, by a lot, especially if you consider gpg and ppg. Quinn is bigger, however, and that might influence a lot of scouts. Some draft gurus think #8 was too high for Quinn but it does show that a Robertson comparable could go very high.

Marco Rossi is 12 days younger than Robertson and the same height as Robertson, though heavier. He also plays centre which is a plus for him. He went #9 which some gurus think was late for him. Top assist and top point man in the OHL versus top goal scorer. Rossi probably goes before Robertson but not necessarily by all that much.

Seth Jarvis went 13th overall, and is likewise a small, offensively gifted winger. Robertson has the edge in goal scoring; Jarvis probably is a better playmaker. Robertson has better ppg. Jarvis is younger with an early 2002 birthday.

All three of these could reasonably been drafted before Robertson but it doesn’t seem to me that they are in a different draft ball park than Robertson.

Reactions: Tarmore and qqaz

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
13-20 range. It is not because he's bad, but rather that the teams before that range are not progressive in drafting. Buffalo for example, does not tend to draft smaller players and I am pretty sure size was a heavily weighted factor as many think rossi was the best 67 that season. I think Nashville badly wanted askarov and florida seems to like size in the first round.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I would put him a couple above Jack H. Robertson outscored him in like 8 fewer games. I keep hearing those goals are worth more than points bla bla bla. Either way, we should not look at him as a bottom 6 but more like a first-line winger because of a goal touch and incredible work ethic

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I would put him a couple above Jack H. Robertson outscored him in like 8 fewer games. I keep hearing those goals are worth more than points bla bla bla. Either way, we should not look at him as a bottom 6 but more like a first-line winger because of a goal touch and incredible work ethic

I agree with this. Robertson projects to be a future first line player, not just a skilled tweener.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Its easy to compare him to other OHL forwards...He would probably be behind Rossi and Pefetti on rankings but ahead of Quinn...But then again Quinn went ahead of Rossi and Perfetti lol...So you really never know but likely top 12.

Reactions: NotNotALeafsFan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Going back to a much earlier thread with the advantage of hindsight: Where would Nick Robertson have landed in this draft, had he been born a week later? Here are three comparisons, two of them almost exactly the same age.

Jack Quinn is 8 days younger than Robertson and was the top goal scorer in the draft. He went 8 overall. Robertson outscored him, by a lot, especially if you consider gpg and ppg. Quinn is bigger, however, and that might influence a lot of scouts. Some draft gurus think #8 was too high for Quinn but it does show that a Robertson comparable could go very high.

Marco Rossi is 12 days younger than Robertson and the same height as Robertson, though heavier. He also plays centre which is a plus for him. He went #9 which some gurus think was late for him. Top assist and top point man in the OHL versus top goal scorer. Rossi probably goes before Robertson but not necessarily by all that much.

Seth Jarvis went 13th overall, and is likewise a small, offensively gifted winger. Robertson has the edge in goal scoring; Jarvis probably is a better playmaker. Robertson has better ppg. Jarvis is younger with an early 2002 birthday.

All three of these could reasonably been drafted before Robertson but it doesn’t seem to me that they are in a different draft ball park than Robertson.

Remembering that Robertson was on a bad team and didnt have nearly the quality of teamates Quinn did, just gonna rehash my stats from earlier (with an update):

Goals per game:

Robertson: 1.2
Quinn: .84

Points per game:

Robertson: 1.86
Quinn: 1.43

"In the past 38 years, only three Canadian Junior players under 19 years old have been able to match Robertson’s mark of 1.20 goals/game: Eric Lindros (OHL, 1990-91), Mario Lemieux (QMJHL, 1983-84) and Joe Sakic (WHL, 1987-88)."

"Over the past twenty years, only two OHL players under 19 have posted a scoring rate above 1.00 goals/game: John Tavares (1.08 goals/game) and Patrick Kane (1.07 goals/game)."

Robertson has since made his NHL debut as an 18 year old in the post season and didnt look out of place and even scored a goal.

If you had this knowledge, bigger or not, how do you not take Robertson over Quinn? Statistically, Quinn isnt in the same tier, he's in whatever tier is lower than Robertson, no?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It’s odd. I think you can make a better case for taking either Rossi or Jarvis before Robertson than for Quinn. But Quinn went first of the three. I did note that some draft gurus think Quinn went too high.

My own order would be Rossi, Jarvis and Robertson very close and then Quinn.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Quinn going ahead of Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis was simply a horrendous error in judgment, no two ways about it.

Jarvis
Rossi
Perfetti
Robertson

*large gap*

Quinn

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Quinn going ahead of Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis was simply a horrendous error in judgment, no two ways about it.

Jarvis
Rossi
Perfetti
Robertson

*large gap*

Quinn

Clearly they are looking for a goal scorer to play with Eichel but even at that, that's a classic wtf moment

You could easily play Rossi and Perfetti with Eichel

I say he's top 10. I would put him where Quinn was. It's not like Robertson played with a superstar junior center to score all his goals
As much as I like Seymon D, he's no Rossi

Reactions: kk87

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Clearly they are looking for a goal scorer to play with Eichel but even at that, that's a classic wtf moment

You could easily play Rossi and Perfetti with Eichel

I say he's top 10. I would put him where Quinn was. It's not like Robertson played with a superstar junior center to score all his goals
As much as I like Seymon D, he's no Rossi

Rossi and Quinn were on different lines.

Reactions: fahad203

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Has anyone heard yet who the snake teams were that complained enough to the Nhl to have them implement a draconian,discriminatory action against us?

I really want to know this because whoever it was values profit over development and they should be outed.

Ya it’s in the CBA, PA and NHL agreed on rule, give it a read, it’s not a new thing, been there for years.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Jack Quinn just went #8 with a SIGNIFICANTLY worse performance. I don't think people truly grasp just how absurd of a goal scoring season Robertson just put up, and he didn't even need to play for the 67's getting spoonfed by an actual possible superstar in Rossi.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jack Quinn just went #8 with a SIGNIFICANTLY worse performance. I don't think people truly grasp just how absurd of a goal scoring season Robertson just put up, and he didn't even need to play for the 67's getting spoonfed by an actual possible superstar in Rossi.

Jack Quinn was probably also a sub optimal pick by Buffalo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Same reason Debrincat and Caufield fell. At the top of the draft the preference is for centers and defensemen over undersized goal-scoring wingers.

We still don’t know if Caufield should have been selected where he was though. Given where we picked Robertson, the Leafs are in a much safer selection than using a top 15 pick in an undersized goal scoring winger.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We still don’t know if Caufield should have been selected where he was though. Given where we picked Robertson, the Leafs are in a much safer selection than using a top 15 pick in an undersized goal scoring winger.

Don't tell that to Habs fans!

I agree that we got much better value than if he were 5 days younger. If Rossi and Quinn were 2 weeks older, they're probably 2nd round and late round picks. Buffalo and Minnesota paid MSRP for their 2019-20 development, where as we gained ~40 draft spots worth of development value.

Reactions: TDotMassive

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't tell that to Habs fans!

I agree that we got much better value than if he were 5 days younger. If Rossi and Quinn were 2 weeks older, they're probably 2nd round and late round picks. Buffalo and Minnesota paid MSRP for their 2019-20 development, where as we gained ~40 draft spots worth of development value.

Exactly. Robertson is kind of the upside of drafting a younger prospect, whereas the Buffalo and Minnesota picks are a little more expensive because the development has been baked into the draft slot.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Rossi and Quinn played on different lines.

Mar 26, 2010
Somewhere in the 1st round outside the top 10.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was historical level good actually. Top ohl goal scoring seasons ever. Top 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad