Prospect Info: Where would Robertson rank in this draft?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I will revisit this if he gets in the playon and causes some effect,strong effect on our game like i think he will. I think he is being underrated strongly so far thank you ;)

Reactions: kb

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I will revisit this if he gets in the playon and causes some effect,strong effect on our game like i think he will. I think he is being underrated strongly so far thank you ;)

Where do you think he would of gone, since you started the thread.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Where do you think he would of gone, since you started the thread.
I think he would be right in the conversation after Lafrenier. Assuming you are drafting BPA. Now thats not saying a team wouldn’t take a defenseman they view equally. I think he would have to be in the conversation right after the first pick.
I know thats not been said in a post yet prior to mine. Top 5 and involved in the decision process every pick after Lafrenier

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It has shaken out to this point in this thread that we all agree on something! Dubas snagged a top quality prospect prospect to the tune of a first round pick after trading our first round pick.
I rank him higher than most that replied but its pretty cool we all view him as a 1st round quality pick.

How much this helps our team quality to compete with the very best and how it helps in the flat cap period should be a interest future topic.

Hopefully Lehtonen and Barabanov prove very well rounded because if they do, this is a hard team to beat going forward :)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
  1. Lafreniere
  2. Byfield
  3. Stutzle
  4. Lundell
  5. Raymond
  6. Drysdale
  7. Holtz
  8. Askarov
  9. Perfetti
  10. Rossi
  11. Robertson
  12. Sanderson
  13. Gunler
  14. Jarvis
  15. Zary

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I keep hearing that this is a strong draft. I've.certainly heard that before, but is it true?

The Luke Schenn draft was considered a strong draft. Did Nail Yakupov get drafted in a strong draft?

Is a strong draft the one where the number 1 could be any of 5 players?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I keep hearing that this is a strong draft. I've.certainly heard that before, but is it true?

The Luke Schenn draft was considered a strong draft. Did Nail Yakupov get drafted in a strong draft?

Is a strong draft the one where the number 1 could be any of 5 players?
It's strong in the 11-20 range compared to most classes. Although, historically, the difference between very outlying drafts (2003 and 2015), the difference among picks outside the top 10 is rarely significant. You will see gems found all over the draft, sometimes its the 11th pick (Kopitar), other times it is Gaudreau in the 4th. The top end of this draft is good, not great. If it was truly strong at the very top, Lafreniere would have been challenged much harder. He's behind guys like McDavid, and the tier behind McDavid which is Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon, Dahlin and to a lesser extent Jones (who was viewed as MacKinnon's equal but slipped to 4 somehow) of drafts since 2011. Then you have to sort out where you place him among that next tier of Laine, Hughes, Kakko, Svechnikov, and RNH.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Wherever you have Jack Quinn ranked, put him right above him for sure.

Robertson is 8 days older, 55 goals, 86 points in 46 games on a much weaker overall team. He's 5'9", 161 lbs.

Quinn had had 52 goals, 89 points in 62 games on the OHL's and arguably the CHL's, best team (including Marco Rossi, who had the most points in the CHL). 5'11", 176.

Robertson would be in the mix with Quinn, Dawson Mercer, Dylan Holloway and Seth Jarvis this year. That almost certainly puts him in the top 15, because he could be above all 4 of them, but I don't think he is quite top 10. He could even challenge Lundell, Askarov and Sanderson in terms of skill and upside, but those guys have some positional and size value, so I am not sure I would have him in the top 10 over two of them.

So I would put him in the 9-15 range, and there are some pretty nice players in that range. The top 8 is very nice, 9-15 is probably above average, 16-40ish is about average (good prospects but nothing I would say that is significantly better than a normal draft), after that there are a bunch (possibly as much as 50) good 3rd round prospects, which means that 41-62 is below average, but pretty nice if you have picks in the 3rd round.

Seeing as age isnt a huge factor, is there a reason why you have Robertson and Quinn so close though?

You seem to be pointing to the fact Robertson also has an advantage due the fact he was on a weaker team, correct?

I, again, stress I havnt paid much attention to this years prospects but does not Robertson have, not only better offensive numbers but insanely better numbers?

Goals per game:

Robertson: 1.2
Quinn: .84

Points per game:

Robertson: 1.86
Quinn: 1.43

Quinn is a bit bigger but besides that, what keeps him even close to Robertson here? Skating, defensive awareness, grit? Offensively, its not even close really and it doesnt seem like anyone in the draft was remotely close to Robertsons goal scoring ability.

Some stats from an article that dont even have to do with draft year:

"In the past 38 years, only three Canadian Junior players under 19 years old have been able to match Robertson’s mark of 1.20 goals/game: Eric Lindros (OHL, 1990-91), Mario Lemieux (QMJHL, 1983-84) and Joe Sakic (WHL, 1987-88)."

"Over the past twenty years, only two OHL players under 19 have posted a scoring rate above 1.00 goals/game: John Tavares (1.08 goals/game) and Patrick Kane (1.07 goals/game)."

Just want to know what Im missing.

Not trying to be one of those guys that overrates our prospects either here. Those numbers are just mind boggling though and hes being talked among even neutral NHL writers as a guy who has a real chance to make an impact in the NHL now due to his goal scoring ability and this is a player who was incredibly close to being eligible for this years draft. Outside of Lafreniere, no one would even think of any other prospects this year having that sort of chance.

It would have to be a crazy strong draft to keep a guy with those numbers in the 9-15 range no? Is it his ceiling? Is it attitude? Should we not be more excited?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I think with his intelligence, grit and compete level he'll figure out how to play in a league of bigger, faster players. If he does I believe his offensive talents will translate.Goal scoring is at a premium and I think he'll be better than many predict. As for immediate impact, that's a different story. He might need a few years to "get there"...I'd draft him this year any where from 4-8.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
"With the 5th pick in the 2020 NHL draft, the Ottawa Senators are proud to select from the Peterborough Petes Nicholas Robertson."
<NHL official whispers in ear>
"Correction, make that Jack Quinn from the Ottawa 67's."

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He lead the league in goals,game winning goals,short handed goals but far from it in powerplay goals. This guy gets it done and gets it done in far less games than others for a reason. The reasons are not completely clear yet. His shot is definitely a clear reason. Short handed goals leader gives some clarity in that he was killing penalties. Game winners goes with his scoring ability and a bit of circumstance. He done all this with fewer games than all the great ohl scorers this year.

Lethal shot, works hard,good defensively amongst his peers ( big step doing that Nhl) but he did it there withthe best. He’s a smart motivated kid.

There are many reasons he is good. I hope we get to see it right away.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seeing as age isnt a huge factor, is there a reason why you have Robertson and Quinn so close though?

You seem to be pointing to the fact Robertson also has an advantage due the fact he was on a weaker team, correct?

I, again, stress I havnt paid much attention to this years prospects but does not Robertson have, not only better offensive numbers but insanely better numbers?

Goals per game:

Robertson: 1.2
Quinn: .84

Points per game:

Robertson: 1.86
Quinn: 1.43

Quinn is a bit bigger but besides that, what keeps him even close to Robertson here? Skating, defensive awareness, grit? Offensively, its not even close really and it doesnt seem like anyone in the draft was remotely close to Robertsons goal scoring ability.

Some stats from an article that dont even have to do with draft year:

"In the past 38 years, only three Canadian Junior players under 19 years old have been able to match Robertson’s mark of 1.20 goals/game: Eric Lindros (OHL, 1990-91), Mario Lemieux (QMJHL, 1983-84) and Joe Sakic (WHL, 1987-88)."

"Over the past twenty years, only two OHL players under 19 have posted a scoring rate above 1.00 goals/game: John Tavares (1.08 goals/game) and Patrick Kane (1.07 goals/game)."

Just want to know what Im missing.

Not trying to be one of those guys that overrates our prospects either here. Those numbers are just mind boggling though and hes being talked among even neutral NHL writers as a guy who has a real chance to make an impact in the NHL now due to his goal scoring ability and this is a player who was incredibly close to being eligible for this years draft. Outside of Lafreniere, no one would even think of any other prospects this year having that sort of chance.

It would have to be a crazy strong draft to keep a guy with those numbers in the 9-15 range no? Is it his ceiling? Is it attitude? Should we not be more excited?

It's nothing really against Robertson. The top of the draft is just really deep. Lafreniere is not going to happen. Byfield was very impressive as a young, larger center. Stutzle, Holtz and Raymond have impressed against pro level competition as younger players (and while Raymond is small like Robertson, I think Raymond has a more impressive all-around game). Rossi and Perfetti were the two of the top scorers in the CHL. Drysdale is a very impressive defenseman who could play in the NHL as soon as next year and is a rare right shot. That does not include guys like Askarov, Lundell, Sanderson, etc. and I think that Robertson could have legitimately gone ahead of those guys. Some of the main knocks against Robertson would be his size and the fact that he is a fair bit older than some of these guys (i.e. Byfield is almost a full year younger, while guys like Drysdale and Raymond are around half a year younger).

The fact that he is even being considered in this top 15 is impressive enough for a guy who was taken 52 only one year prior.

Reactions: Zybalto

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Likely his size hurts his draft positioning, 5’9” and 164 lbs
if 5'9 180 pound Brad Marchand can be 4th in the league in points per game after McDavid, MacKinnon, and Kucherov over the last 3 years then there's no reason it should hold Robertson back. I'm not saying Robertson will be that good, but if he's not it won't be because of his size

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad