Speculation: Where will Erik Karlsson be traded to?

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
well none of the assets sent to MTL would likely be in a Karlsson trade

however I am not sure they want to gut their prospects - unless GMGM just says **** it and goes for it

I think McPhee is going all in. I wouldn't be surprised to see more prospects get dealt for EK. His quotes are pretty telling...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
OTOH - why would they have spent Suzuki on Patches if they aren't going to go all in? So far they are just marking time. Neal & Perron out. Stastny and Patches in. Net zero.

VGK need another big move or 2 to become legit contenders. Karlsson for futures and they would have to be taken very seriously.

I'm assuming you're talking about dial up internet because that's an upgrade. An upgrade in positional needs(they needed to get stronger at LW, needed a legit 2C), in team defense and in overall talent.

They're in the right direction with bluechip prospects coming up in the next 2-3 years.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
well none of the assets sent to MTL would likely be in a Karlsson trade

however I am not sure they want to gut their prospects - unless GMGM just says **** it and goes for it

I’m pretty sure they really wanted Suzuki actually

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VGK.

They have been in existence for a short period of time yet still have an unreal prospect pool. Even after trading Suzuki, they still have Glass, Brannstrom, Hague and Elvenes all of which are unbelievable prospects... And also alot of real good next tier down guys like Leschyshyn, Kolesar, Coghlan, Dansk, Ferguson and a few others(dont know much about the Euros but have read alot of good things) Also have the darkhorse Gusev.

IMO they have a better prospect pool already after nailing it at the 2017 draft than many many other NHL teams. I feel they can EASILY still move a couple prospect pieces in a package and still have a strong pool

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's called speculation, my friend.

I'm a hockey fan, and a freaking Flyers fan at that... not a Sens or Bolts fan. I have no agenda. If I did, it would be to find a way to get Karlsson on the Flyers.

OK then. Fair enough. You have a lot of posts and strong opinions on this subject, so it made me wonder. Glad to hear that your just speculating. No worries.

Good luck with getting EK on the Flyers. I wouldn't mind if he was on my team (Leafs), but don't see that happening.

Reactions: Boxscore

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
There is zero chance he comes to Toronto. Having $30M+ in 3 players and potentially $45M+ in 5 players just doesn't work in the cap system. Not sure how you fit the other 18 players in the remaining ~$40-45M.

As for where he goes, I'm guessing somewhere in the west, maybe a Cali team.

Disclaimer: I don't think he is coming to Toronto. He would only make sense as a one year rental.

But 18 for 45 is possible when you have a quality program, and you find mid round guys who blossom.

It's great you can grab a bunch of high end young talent, but to make it work you need to have guys coming up who can play.

Pittsburgh, Tampa, Detroit, and Chicago are all examples of this throughout the years. You spend on as many top guys you can, but you have to find value players to fill out the line up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm assuming you're talking about dial up internet because that's an upgrade. An upgrade in positional needs(they needed to get stronger at LW, needed a legit 2C), in team defense and in overall talent.

They're in the right direction with bluechip prospects coming up in the next 2-3 years.

Stastny won't be as good with whoever he has in LV as he was with Ehlers and Laine. More like the way he was in StL - only another year older. I think Patches will be a little better than Neal, but not a lot. I've seen it argued that Neal is better all around. Not my argument, but I've seen it. Based on last year alone, Neal is quite a bit better. Not sure but I think LV has less speed now. Speed was the whole foundation of their game.

They have exactly 3 top prospects. They had 4 from last year's draft but Suzuki is gone. They didn't pick up any this year. By the time those 3 are impact players some of their current players will have aged out, or at least passed their peaks.

Getting Stastny and Pacioretty are 'win now' moves, not build for the future moves.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Kypreos said on the radio today that the best offer is the Dallas one, and that it’s not exactly a huge haul.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I have a few thoughts about a potential trade sending Karlsson to the VGK post Pacioretty....

-Despite what that article says, VGK can no longer absorb Ryan. Even if Karlsson won't sign an extension off the bat, they likely hope to extend Karlsson. Even with dumping Clarkson, 18M of salary would be very hard to fit in without having to hurt the team in other places. That, and unlike Clarkson, Ryan cannot be put on LTIR.

-Swapping Gaborik for Clarkson might be a nice middle ground. Gaborik's at that Hossa/Lupul part of his career where he seems beat up enough to justify LTIRetirement. Due to all his pre-existing conditions, he might not be insured, meaning regardless of whether he is hurt, the Senators would have to pay his entire salary. Clarkson's salary is apparently insured, so while both LTIR cap hits mostly cancel each other out (Gaborik's contract is a year longer) the Senators would save around 10 million dollars in real money over the next three seasons.

-VGK have the assets to acquire Karlsson, but do they really want to give them up without an extension in place? We're hearing about underwhelming six piece offers coming from a team. That team seems to be hinted at being Dallas since so many "insiders" have declared them as the front runner. Honka and Shore are players who have both been attached to a DAL pitch for Karlsson. Considering how many assets Vegas has given up in both the Tatar and Paciorietty trades, do the Golden Knights really want to give up a young defender, a young NHL forward, and four future pieces without any assurance that Karlsson will stay beyond this season?

-Not only that, the Senators have yet to accept this 6 piece deal, meaning as of now it's not good enough. Whoever meets Ottawa's price will be taking a huge gamble if there's no extension in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad