Speculation: Where will Erik Karlsson be traded to?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No they can still take Ryan no problem this year, then retain some cap after the season and flip him elsewhere.
The Sens would need to take some salary back, which is a possibility. After the Pax signing it was reported they were 9.7 mil under the cap. If Ryan is making 7.25 himself and Karlsson is making 6.5 (before his extension in 2019-20), that's still 13.75 mil in salary VGK needs to absorb today. This trade would put them 4+ mil over this season and about 10 mil over next season, once Karlsson's new deal kicks in.

The trade could work for this season IF Ottawa was willing to take back Clarkson's 5.25 mil contract. But they still need to do something for next year and beyond.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Has Karlsson stated that he would resign with Vegas? Otherwise I just don’t see him go there...

Karlsson hasn't stated a thing publicly or via his agent. Everything is speculation, although a few separate hockey people have gone on record as saying Tampa is a place Karlsson wants to go to (and would re-sign with).

That said, Pacioretty didn't state he would re-sign with VGK either prior to the trade, but the signing was imminent once the trade was consummated. This stuff is going on behind the scenes.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Karlsson hasn't stated a thing publicly or via his agent. Everything is speculation, although a few separate hockey people have gone on record as saying Tampa is a place Karlsson wants to go to (and would re-sign with).

That said, Pacioretty didn't state he would re-sign with VGK either prior to the trade, but the signing was imminent once the trade was consummated. This stuff is going on behind the scenes.
Not saying he wouldn't resign in Vegas (or anywhere else, for that matter) but I don't think there were questions about Max signing elsewhere. At least I don't recall seeing speculation in regards to him only signing in certain places or not wanting to sign in certain places. There's definitely been quite a bit of speculation revolving around that with EK, which leads me to believe it's at least based in some sort of reality as far as there being a short list of places he's wanting to be long term.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The Sens would need to take some salary back, which is a possibility.

I think you (hopefully) are trying to say (?) that teams interested in Karlsson could trade other players on their team to another team, or Ottawa can take players & their salaries back. In other words, there are definitely different ways many teams could use to make a trade work.

Here is something Friedman said regarding Tampa on this subject:

The argument was made to Friedman that the Lightning does not have cap space for Karlsson, and “how are you going to fit $11-12 million in there.”

“Well, you only have to fill 6.5 for this year,” argued Friedman, alluding to this final season of Karlsson’s contract which counts $6.5 million against the cap and is $7.5 million in actual salary. “And he’s not going to do 11, 12 in Tampa. If he signs there, he’ll be signing for Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman money, somewhere in that range.

“And thirdly, Ottawa has got a ton of cap room. If Tampa has to move a guy to do it, Ottawa can do it.”

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Sens would need to take some salary back, which is a possibility. After the Pax signing it was reported they were 9.7 mil under the cap. If Ryan is making 7.25 himself and Karlsson is making 6.5 (before his extension in 2019-20), that's still 13.75 mil in salary VGK needs to absorb today. This trade would put them 4+ mil over this season and about 10 mil over next season, once Karlsson's new deal kicks in.

The trade could work for this season IF Ottawa was willing to take back Clarkson's 5.25 mil contract. But they still need to do something for next year and beyond.

Yes but you have to cut the roster down to 23.

In any event a scenario in which Ryan comes back in a trade, Clarkson goes the other way (although it can still work as Tuch can be sent down before assigning Clarkson to LTIR)

Ideally Ottawa retains 750k on Ryan and takes back Clarkson's contract. Then Lindberg and Merrill are moved out and someone else gets waived.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Every day my gut changes on where I think Karlsson will end up lol.

Right now, I actually like Tampa's chances more with the Brisebois announcement TBH. I think Tampa's press conference yesterday was strategically timed so Brisebois' first move as GM would be a splash with Karlsson. What better way to win over any fans who are concerned about Yzerman's departure than have the new GM bring in Erik Karlsson?

I also think this gives Tampa the ability to go back to Ottawa and "up their offer" under the guise of Brisebois implying, "I have more reign and flexibility to get the deal done" approach.

I still think Dallas is trying to get Karlsson at bargain bin price, but it's still the only offer of substance to date. Vegas is probably in the mix too, but Karlsson holds the cards here. If you read what McPhee said about the Pax trade, "we wouldn't have traded for him unless he signed long-term..." I'm sure McPhee is taking the same approach with Karlsson, and the likely hold-up is that Karlsson has not agreed to re-sign with Vegas. In that case, McPhee, while interested, is not willing to go all-in.

I think Karlsson truly wants to be in Tampa and is holding hopes a deal could be done. Brisebois stepping in is the ultimate reset button to get Tampa back in the driver's seat IMO.

I've never bought into the San Jose or Vancouver nonsense - they don't have the pieces.

The other scenario is a stealth team like Colorado, Philly, Boston, etc. coming in out of the blue and surprising everyone.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Either BriseBois pulls the move of a century and adds Karlsson and Ryan while shipping Ryan elsewhere immediately for a package that drains Tampa of picks for the next 3 years (he ran the AHL team, he likely knows what they have in the pipeline, what is good to give up, and who to keep) or Tampa looks elsewhere for an RD and feels confident the team now can bounce any Atlantic rival in the second round.

I like SJ acquiring him a lot. I think that would make them interesting in the Pacific and feel if they don't go big this year, Calgary and Edmonton will have their crap together and things will be that much harder to make a run. They make a run right now, especially in adding Karlsson, they can win it all.

Dallas... I get the feeling Nill isn't allowed to give up what is necessary. Otherwise adding Karlsson would save his job.

My dark horse candidate? Boston. Bruins always have that 1A defender. Chara is in his twilight years. They add Karlsson, wait for the summer, Backes 8 team list opens up and they trade him? They just opened up the space needed for Erik Karlsson. Unlikely but that's my dark horse.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think there's a 0% chance Karlsson would re-sign in NJ long-term. No offense, just being honest. So why would the Devils give up all those assets for one season of Karlsson?

Why wouldn't he want to sign long term with NJ? They're a young fast team with a fairly bright future. His play style would perfectly compliment the team - with Karlsson the Devils would be a dramatically improved team.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why wouldn't he want to sign long term with NJ? They're a young fast team with a fairly bright future. His play style would perfectly compliment the team - with Karlsson the Devils would be a dramatically improved team.
I'd like to see them make the playoffs before I call them a team with a fairly bright future. They barely made the playoffs last year on the back of Hall's Hart season. If he regresses even a little I don't think they have enough offense to make it. I don't see them better than the Pens, Caps, Flyers, Lightning, Leafs, Bruins or Panthers. That leaves one spot for them and they would still be in contention with teams like the Jackets and Canes and Sabres (think Eichel and Dahlin could sneak them into a wild card spot)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Either BriseBois pulls the move of a century and adds Karlsson and Ryan while shipping Ryan elsewhere immediately for a package that drains Tampa of picks for the next 3 years (he ran the AHL team, he likely knows what they have in the pipeline, what is good to give up, and who to keep) or Tampa looks elsewhere for an RD and feels confident the team now can bounce any Atlantic rival in the second round.

I like SJ acquiring him a lot. I think that would make them interesting in the Pacific and feel if they don't go big this year, Calgary and Edmonton will have their crap together and things will be that much harder to make a run. They make a run right now, especially in adding Karlsson, they can win it all.

Dallas... I get the feeling Nill isn't allowed to give up what is necessary. Otherwise adding Karlsson would save his job.

My dark horse candidate? Boston. Bruins always have that 1A defender. Chara is in his twilight years. They add Karlsson, wait for the summer, Backes 8 team list opens up and they trade him? They just opened up the space needed for Erik Karlsson. Unlikely but that's my dark horse.

Isn't allowed? That's rich. :laugh:

I trust his judgement over Gaglardi's.

Nill (probably) won't give up Heiskanen because it's not a smart hockey decision - ESPECIALLY for a player who may bolt in a year.

Reactions: Crocoduck

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd like to see them make the playoffs before I call them a team with a fairly bright future. They barely made the playoffs last year on the back of Hall's Hart season. If he regresses even a little I don't think they have enough offense to make it. I don't see them better than the Pens, Caps, Flyers, Lightning, Leafs, Bruins or Panthers. That leaves one spot for them and they would still be in contention with teams like the Jackets and Canes and Sabres (think Eichel and Dahlin could sneak them into a wild card spot)
The devils PDO was only .997 vs 1.003 for the Flyers . . yet the Flyers only had one more point in the standings. If anything the Devils should be better based on puck luck alone - as hot as Hall was, we had a ton of guys who were snakebitten, including our goaltenders.

A slight bounce back for Schneider and Devils should be a playoff team.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hearing rumblings that things are still heating up on the Karlsson trade table. Nevertheless he will be a Senator until anything happens.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Which team has the balls to go all in on EK, even if it costs them their future?

Yes, that's the right guess buddy!

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hearing rumblings that things are still heating up on the Karlsson trade table. Nevertheless he will be a Senator until anything happens.
tenor.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Could just be wishful thinking, but it doesn't seem like a coincidence that the talk on Karlsson started to seemingly pick up yesterday after TB made their GM swap. Don't recall seeing anything immediately after the MTL/VGK deal.

I'm betting that Brisebois is getting things moving again and other teams are responding. Kind of starting to feel like this may happen soon.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Could just be wishful thinking, but it doesn't seem like a coincidence that the talk on Karlsson started to seemingly pick up yesterday after TB made their GM swap. Don't recall seeing anything immediately after the MTL/VGK deal.

I'm betting that Brisebois is getting things moving again and other teams are responding. Kind of starting to feel like this may happen soon.

It picked up after Melnyk's video

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad