Speculation: Where does Braden Holtby end up after this season?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Flames really haven't had a good #1 since Mike Vernon. If there's one piece that is missing from the team that could really make them a serious Cup contender, it's goaltending.

You are forgetting Kipper . I would take Kipper over Vernon any day of the week .

As for the OP Edmonton got cap opening up finally and if their goaltending let them down I could see Holland taking a run at Holtby

Edit : I would not pay him 10 million . 7.5 X 5 but another team would probably best that .

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
There's always demand for a guy who has won the Cup and performed pretty well. He's from Sask so the Flames would make sense. But there would be at least 4-5 teams lining up to pay top dollar, maybe 10.

GMs absolutely hate to lose because of poor goaltending and many of them fool themselves into believing that a better goalie could solve all their problems.

Can you name the 4-5 potentially contending teams with bad goaltending who also have $10m in cap space?

I think that the FLA situation was somewhat lightning in a bottle, and don't see a lot of teams that meet the criteria above. The Flames and who?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Can you name the 4-5 potentially contending teams with bad goaltending who also have $10m in cap space?

I think that the FLA situation was somewhat lightning in a bottle, and don't see a lot of teams that meet the criteria above. The Flames and who?

If you need a goalie then you make the space.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you need a goalie then you make the space.
The difficulty is if you have a goalie under contract like SJ with Jones. Who’s taking that deal? Buyout or retention costs you like $2 mill plus Holtby’s cap hit plus a backup. Now you’re up to what $12 million for goaltending.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Flames would make a lot of sense. Just the cleared cap of Frolik + Talbot probably gets you in the ballpark AAV wise.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Washington fans, is Samsonov for sure the guy of the future/the real deal? If so then i think that it makes sense for both the caps and holtby to part ways after this season.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I could see him going to NY if Lundqvist falls on his head this year. It wouldn't be too difficult to eat some of his salary and send him packing to a destination that could use a backup of his caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad