Speculation: Where does Braden Holtby end up after this season?

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Relying on Samsonov to come in an suddenly pull a Binnington is pretty much hoping to win the jackpot on a scratch ticket.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Tough to see Holtby leaving Washington, it's all he's ever known and won a lot of games with the guys in that room. At the same time, i can't see him getting 10M based on the last couple regular seasons.

I think that's a combination that will lead to Holtby re-signing in Washington. You never want to rush young goalies if you have the option.

Samsonov will have another year of ELC + then a bridge deal so they could run with that tandem for a few years before Samsonov (hopefully) earns those big bucks.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa so badly needs a goalie. Wouldn't be a bad idea as melnyk might be willing to pay him to get to the cap floor with so much youth and ELCs/bridge deals on the payroll in the coming years with them on the upswing

If we are going to be a cap team, it wouldn't be a bad move. Holtby is still young and could stabilize the team in net. Sogaard is the top goalie prospect in the Senators pool so his possible emergence would line up perfectly with a 6 year Holtby contract.

The thing about the Senators is that they are very deep in net from an organizational depth standpoint. Anderson will be gone by the end of the season, but that still leaves Nilsson, Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord, and Sogaard. Out of the first four listed, it's unlikely that at least one doesn't emerge as an NHL starter.

So, while adding Holtby and stabilizing the backend would be a great opportunity, it's also likely that the Senators solve their starting position internally over the next 2 or so seasons.

One final thing, the Senators haven't attracted a major UFA in maybe a decade. That depends on if it is fair to classify Gonchar and Kovalev at their advanced ages as major UFAs. I feel the need to point this out so that people don't mistake me analyzing Holtby to OTT ase actually believing it could happen.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Kipper was a #1, but ya.

Miika Kiprusoff?

Peak Kipper was one of the best ever, but other than him.. it's been bad.

Someone probably already jumped on this, but Mikka Kiprusoff was a mirage ?

Miika Kiprusoff is Calling...
I'm enjoying how the OP is straight up ignoring all these posts. The Flames have had a goalie since Vernon. Yikes.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Daily reminder that Dubynk is locked in at an absolute steal of a deal.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Daily reminder that Dubynk is locked in at an absolute steal of a deal.
What do you think happens if the Wild look to be out of playoffs this year at the deadline? Do you think they could move Duby in order to maximize the return?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
teams that would be highly interested

Oilers, Flames, Canes, Devils, Blue Jackets

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tough to see Holtby leaving Washington, it's all he's ever known and won a lot of games with the guys in that room. At the same time, i can't see him getting 10M based on the last couple regular seasons.

He is a Vezina winning, Cup winning goaltender. Last time I checked his playoff stats are about the best among the actives.

He has been a pillar for a team that has won 4 straight division titles in a division with the Penguins. Since he became the starter in 12-13 the Caps are tied with the Penguins for best record in the league(caps have a 1pt lead). Holtby has 24 more wins than any other goalie. He has a .918 sv% to Bobrovsky's .921. His playoffs numbers are .926 and 2.12.

What he can get going forward will be decided by this season, but he plays on that same good team.

Asked about his situation and could he take less to stay with the Capitals, he said he wanted to but that he also has a responsibility to the rest of the players in the league. Sounds to me like he is gone

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He is a Vezina winning, Cup winning goaltender. Last time I checked his playoff stats are about the best among the actives.

He has been a pillar for a team that has won 4 straight division titles in a division with the Penguins. Since he became the starter in 12-13 the Caps are tied with the Penguins for best record in the league(caps have a 1pt lead). Holtby has 24 more wins than any other goalie. He has a .918 sv% to Bobrovsky's .921. His playoffs numbers are .926 and 2.12.

What he can get going forward will be decided by this season, but he plays on that same good team.

Asked about his situation and could he take less to stay with the Capitals, he said he wanted to but that he also has a responsibility to the rest of the players in the league. Sounds to me like he is gone
Like Ovechkin possibly chasing Gretzky's total goals record, Holtby right now is the best chance at chasing Brodeur's total wins record. Holtby is good enough to win you 35-45 games every season.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
FYI. The expansion draft is coming in 2 years and the consensus is that Samsonov will be the goalie protected by the Caps and not Holtby. So does it make sense for the Caps or Holtby to re-sign him for 1 or 2 years with a big annual amount? Of course not. I don't even think Holtby would agree to that. Unless Samsonov has some major setback, then Holtby is just about gone after this season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like Ovechkin possibly chasing Gretzky's total goals record, Holtby right now is the best chance at chasing Brodeur's total wins record. Holtby is good enough to win you 35-45 games every season.

While that's true, Holtby is pretty liberal politically and gives every appearance of being a dedicated union supporter. He is fully aware that if he takes a hometown discount he hurts the goalie market.

As a Caps fan I would love for him to stay but the Caps also need to resign both Backstrom and Ovechkin and max or near max money for Holtby just wont fit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like half the league will be interested. Not a lot of certainty around the league when it comes to goaltending right now.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure his next contract will be something like 5 years @ $10 million per year. Samsonov is the real deal and most definitely will be on the Caps roster the following season. Plus they also have a guy in Vitek Vanecek and Copley is no slouch either.

So where could Holtby end up or where do see him as a good fit for a team?

No way someone’s gonna pay him that much

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I swear the default response around here is "yeah what about your team!" I was providing my take on the situation. I don't think any of those options are a sure enough thing to be thinking about moving on from Holtby yet. I'm quite aware that Hutchinson isn't a starting goalie.

Also that's two people calling Vanecek an all-star. Being invited to the all-star classic does not make you an all-star.
Lmao what in the world?!

That has always been the use of the world ‘All-Star’ when describing a player. The mid season game, not the end of the year lists.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What do you think happens if the Wild look to be out of playoffs this year at the deadline? Do you think they could move Duby in order to maximize the return?

I think it would be the perfect time for Minnesota to initiate a rebuild with Dubnyk, Staal, and Brodin on their last years in 2021-2022. And if that's the case, I would want Calgary to go for Devan if we are unable to sign a good goalie or Rittich not establishing himself as the starter.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's a tough spot for capitals. Trading him in this past offseason would have given them a pretty decent return, even for 1 full year left of Holtby, but the Caps are one of the favorites to win the division and you can't toss that away, or risk going into the season with a rookie goalie. Capitals are going to make the playoffs and will have to ride out Holtby. I guess you could have worse problems than losing a goalie, knowing that you're making a run in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->