Speculation: Where does Braden Holtby end up after this season?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How is it a pedantic distinction? Would you consider Larkin an “All-Star” when he scored 45pts but represented the Wings at the All-Star game? What about Girgenson? Frans Nielsen? Howard? You should put little to no stock in the AHL all star game.
You do realize that all the players names you mention, are just that players. None of them are goalies.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ottawa so badly needs a goalie. Wouldn't be a bad idea as melnyk might be willing to pay him to get to the cap floor with so much youth and ELCs/bridge deals on the payroll in the coming years with them on the upswing

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
EDM
Calgary
CBJ
NJD
Nashville
Vancouver

Obviously it all depends on international development of their own goalie prospects but I think because most of those teams will likely be very strong in a year they would be desirable places to play.

As many have posted I think he ends up with 8-8.5 million dollar a year deal unless someone really overpaid.
To the Avs but not for more than 4 years

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Where does he end up? Overpaidsville.
If you want to talk about overpaidville, then look at Price and Bob! They are great goalies, but exactly have they done? Neither has had good playoff numbers. If I was an NHL owner and I was gonna invest $10 million a year in a goalie, without a doubt I would choose Holtby over Bob/Price. The funny thing is, Holtby has put up very good playoff numbers with an organization that has one of the worst playoff records in NHL history!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ottawa so badly needs a goalie. Wouldn't be a bad idea as melnyk might be willing to pay him to get to the cap floor with so much youth and ELCs/bridge deals on the payroll in the coming years with them on the upswing
I don't think the Sens will be a marked destination for top name FA.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Raanta can't stay healthy, Arizona could possibly use him.
They could, but would he really want to be there? Coyotes look like an up and coming team that could start to make the playoffs regularly, but they are not a Cup contender and I think Holtby will want that with his next team.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
If you want to talk about overpaidville, then look at Price and Bob! They are great goalies, but exactly have they done? Neither has had good playoff numbers. If I was an NHL owner and I was gonna invest $10 million a year in a goalie, without a doubt I would choose Holtby over Bob/Price. The funny thing is, Holtby has put up very good playoff numbers with an organization that has one of the worst playoff records in NHL history!
I never suggested either of those guys weren't overpaid, merely that Holtby will be the next one to get the brinks truck thrown at him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I don't think the Sens will be a marked destination for top name FA.
I agree but if they show they're on the up trend and melnyk is actually willing to pay NOW it's possible.

The other thing is holtbys options for a starting gig aren't vast. Not many team have a no.1 goalie opening AND are willing to pay on the open market for one. It's probably cheaper to trade for one than to sign one in FA now

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If available, Calgary is going to try. They tried to get Murray, Bishop, and Fleury at one point. Treliving is aware that he needs a solid goalie so this is make it or break it for Rittich.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I can’t see a thirty year old goalie willing to sign for just 4 years unless it’s a severe overpayment. He would look great on the Avs though!!!
Varlamov did with the Isles albeit for only 5 mil per after a mediocre season.

Yeah the reason I say 4 years is because MacKinnon will be due a new contract.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
They could, but would he really want to be there? Coyotes look like an up and coming team that could start to make the playoffs regularly, but they are not a Cup contender and I think Holtby will want that with his next team.

Cup contenders don't get there by still needing a $9 million goalie. He'll go somewhere that he's expected to be the difference maker, like Bobrovsky to Florida.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He will end up on Detroit.

They have the cap space to pay him. They need a legit goalie to replace Howard. The rebuild will be coming along.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Samsonov is the real deal and most definitely will be on the Caps roster the following season.

Ever found a real deal that failed to approach his potential? He is a kid with no NHL experience and something of an uneven AHL season last season. Deciding TODAY that you are going to put a cup contender in front of a bone rookie is a terrible mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad