Speculation: Where does Braden Holtby end up after this season?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm pretty sure his next contract will be something like 5 years @ $10 million per year. Samsonov is the real deal and most definitely will be on the Caps roster the following season. Plus they also have a guy in Vitek Vanecek and Copley is no slouch either.

So where could Holtby end up or where do see him as a good fit for a team?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There's always demand for a guy who has won the Cup and performed pretty well. He's from Sask so the Flames would make sense. But there would be at least 4-5 teams lining up to pay top dollar, maybe 10.

GMs absolutely hate to lose because of poor goaltending and many of them fool themselves into believing that a better goalie could solve all their problems.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There's always demand for a guy who has won the Cup and performed pretty well. He's from Sask so the Flames would make sense. But there would be at least 4-5 teams lining up to pay top dollar, maybe 10.

GMs absolutely hate to lose because of poor goaltending and many of them fool themselves into believing that a better goalie could solve all their problems.

A better goalie can solve a ton of problems though.

Reactions: BHD and Vachon23

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flames are a definite possibility if Rittich takes a step back this year. Brodie, Hamonic, and Frolik will all be UFA at the end of the season and I don't really see them bringing more than one of them back.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I could see him going to Edmonton for Koskinen (Salary retained) in a fairly large deal. Could also see him going to Calgary.

Furious George

Ville the Villain
Mar 22, 2006
Shark Infested Water
I could see him going to Edmonton for Koskinen (Salary retained) in a fairly large deal. Could also see him going to Calgary.
You think there's going to be a fairly large deal involving the rights to an impending UFA? What precedent is there for "fairly large" deals involving negotiation rights? Especially in the age of the one week negotiation window, I'd say that's highly unlikely.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps would never take Koskinen back in any type of deal, as they have too many good goalies. He has a contract that Chiarelli never should have given him. Either Koskinen finds his way to being a better goalie or the Oilers will have to buy him out.

Reactions: Morrison

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Flames really haven't had a good #1 since Mike Vernon. If there's one piece that is missing from the team that could really make them a serious Cup contender, it's goaltending.
2003-04 Cup Finals (4-3 loss) with Kipper posting a regular season NHL GAA record wasn't that?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
You think there's going to be a fairly large deal involving the rights to an impending UFA? What precedent is there for "fairly large" deals involving negotiation rights? Especially in the age of the one week negotiation window, I'd say that's highly unlikely.
The only trade scenario I could see happening is a team giving up a conditional 4th round pick for Holtby's rights before July 1st. If the said team signs Holtby to a long term deal, then that 4th becomes a 1st rounder(yes Holtby is worth a 1st round pick as he's a very good #1 goalie).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps are going to resign him. Deal will be for 5 years 45m.
That makes no sense what so ever. Samsonov will be the #1 going into next season after this one. The Caps will protect him in the expansion draft for sure. Also, they will more likely give that money to Backstrom. Center position is far more important than any goalie.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Caps are going to resign him. Deal will be for 5 years 45m.

Just absolutely no way that contract happens.

For two reasons....

1) There is no way the capitals FO wants Samsonov to ride the pine or be in the AHL for another 6 years.

2) with another’s expansion draft coming up and only being allowed to protect one goalie, Samsonov is most assuredly going to be that goalie.

May be the 2nd option actually is the reason they give him that deal. Then Holtby is the one being sent to Seattle.

But you would think that Holtby and his team are thinking the same way that I am. He’s a FA and is free to sign anywhere. If he really doesn’t want to be in Seattle, then I’m sure his team is smart enough to stay away from the Capitals.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Depending how’s Samsonov turns out this season, only he or Holtby will be the Caps goalie.

Holtby has said he really wants to stay but of course that doesn’t mean. If Samsonov doesnt look ready or good I bet the Caps pay Holtby whatever he wants.

As for where Holtby would leave to? Who knows. Whoever needs a goalie and is a competitor lol

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Flames are a definite possibility if Rittich takes a step back this year. Brodie, Hamonic, and Frolik will all be UFA at the end of the season and I don't really see them bringing more than one of them back.

Imagine if Rittich did take a step back, you can't rely on Talbot. Although Flames have some decent defence to help the goaltenders fortunately.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He's only 30. Caps likely make him a very good offer to stay and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes it. They're still a top team and if Ovi and Backstrom re-up they still will be for a while longer.

- Samsonov was great in the KHL but just had a pretty bad first year in North America.
- Vanecek has a mediocre AHL career.
- Copely just played his first season in the NHL at 27.

This isn't meant to a chirp, each of those guys has some promise, it's just to point out that the caps aren't exactly in "sure thing" territory with any of their replacements. If they have someone as good as Holtby why would they throw that away to gamble on one of these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad