Where do the Oilers finish this season?

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
They're making the playoffs this year somewhere in the 8-6th seed. I feel like the team is coming into this season with an entire new attitude. There have been flashes of brilliance on this team ever since Hall and Eberle have joined the team. Last year, while scoresheets may say otherwise, this team showed they are 100% capable of playing with the best. I could be wrong but there was a point where the oilers were #1 in the west or something (might have been two years ago) and had like an 6 or 8 game winning streak. We have a healthy Hall, Whitney, Hemsky and Hopkins, partially addressed some holes on defence and have a goal tender whom I believe is both confident and ready to make big strides for both himself his teammates. I was at the practice today and found it difficult to keep a straight face after watching Yakupov's play. Seeing his release in real life is truly astonishing, Edmonton has not had someone who can one-time pucks like this for who knows how long. He should be a great addition to the team and provide incredible secondary scoring with his line mates. If we can have two true scoring lines. A little bit of help from our third line (everyone on this line is 110% capable of 10+ goals pro-rated) but also count on them to play the role 3rd liners are expected to and then get the boys on the fourth line doing their jobs our forwards are nothing to worry about. Getting the puck out of our end is truly the only problem I see but I think the D are ready to play. The last factor: the shortened season. I think this works highly in the Oilers favour. A quick strong start will be likely and key. All in all I'm just excited to see these boys play again. My predictions are based off of everyone just doing their jobs and remaining healthy. It's the third year I'm saying this (and I'm not alone), but "There is a lot to be excited for in oil country". Heres to hoping for the best. :)

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
46.5% think Edmonton will make the playoffs
51.6% think Edmonton won't make the playoffs

It's interesting to note the weird distribution around 8-9th.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
If you increase that by about 15-20% due to home-town bias, that puts it at about 70% unlikely, which I think is pretty accurate. Next year we'll be playoff bound.

haha I don't think one can really deduce anything by how we are voting in this poll. You can also consider the fact that we've been burned so many times. People might be a little hesitant to vote high because they don't want to have a broken heart. So many ways of seeing it, these numbers don't mean much. I personally think we are going to go undefeated and win the cup.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I see this team battling with PHX NASH and DAL for the last couple sports. Difference between 6th-10th will be something like 4 points...so who knows. They'll be in the mix till late in the season

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I voted 6th... I see I am in the minority of predicting playoffs. That's fine, I voted with my heart.

Let's just make sure we lock this poll on Sunday and keep it as evidence for next summer when we hear "Oiler fans were spouting on about the Stanley Cup and just look what happened".

It would be nice to able to throw some evidence of modesty back at 'em.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
12th is my prediction, but with the shortened season we may be able to make the playoffs if we go on a run. I doubt theres more then 15 points separating the 8th seed from the 15th.

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
Voted 10th

I think this season it's reasonable to expect the oilers finish somewhere a bit below the playoff line, and I'd be okay with that. I'd be super happy if the oilers made the playoffs, although it's possible I'm not expecting it. The most important thing now IMO is to get some results after 3 bad years (or as someone would refer to as "tanking"). By that I mean not ending up on the bottom of the table. Sure the draft looks good (again) and I'm pretty sure top 5 pick would be very valuable, but I don't even want it. I would much rather see this team finally show some real improvement instead, even if we still missed the playoffs.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Lets examine the western conference 8th seed.
L.A took the final west playoff spot last season with 95 points. In 2010-11 season chicago took the 8th seed with 97 points and in 2009-10 colorado was 8th with again 95 points
95x0.59= 56 points 48 games is roughly 59% of a regular 82 game season.
So theoretically the 8th seed will be had at close to 56 points or 28 wins.
Furthermore, the oilers last season had 74 points which when scaled down to 48 games using the same equation is 44 points.

I don't know if we will make the playoffs i want to believe we will but i'm not confident about our defense. I'm not worried about the GF (i think we will be top in GF) i am worried about GA if we are going to make the playoffs GA needs to improve significantly.

I hope this makes some sense.

Hurt me brain:banghead:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
More 1st's than 2,3 and 4 combined is a little odd as well.

1sts are the homers\superfans\dont care what other team has we are the best voters (ppl who voted 14\15 are he opposite)

2,3,4 might have put some thought in before voting.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
The Van and Minny games will make or break the playoffs for us.

I just don't see us changing are losing ways against Minny this year. There team is really good and they have always had our number. They are better then us in every position, at least on paper.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The main reason I think we'll miss the playoffs, is the only are we've partially addressed since last season was secondary scoring.

We have 2 lines that can score, offset by 2 lines that are offensive Black holes.

Here are the things that have to happen THIS YEAR for us to make the playoffs:
- Gagner breaks out as a legit #2C with consistency, and a pro-rated 55+ point season (Doubtful).
- Dubnyk proves he is a legit NHL starter (Doubtful - having not played much during the lockout).
- Horcoff, Smyth have bounceback years (Doubtful - as they have been on a steady regression for a number of years).
- Whitney/Hemsky/Belanger have to prove last year was an aberration, and they are the players they were 2+ seasons ago. (Possible).

Everything is possible, but IMHO most of it is doubtful.

The good news is, I don't think we're a lottery team anymore.

HockeyOrDie

Hockey Hockey Hockey
May 13, 2011
www.HockeyOrDie.com
Adam Proteau of THN predicts the Oil will finish 11th in the West:

"11. Edmonton. Oilers fans, players and management are desperate to get back into the playoffs for the first time since 2006 – and with so many young stars now part of the fold, they’re on the verge of turning the corner and getting back to respectability. But with all due respect to rookies Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, they’ll still need the veterans on the team (i.e. Shawn Horcoff, Devan Dubnyk, Ryan Whitney and Ales Hemsky) to do some of the heavy lifting to get them there. The West is so competitive, Edmonton might be back in the draft lottery once again, but I think this is the year they slowly start creeping up their division standings. Small consolation? Sure. But at least it’s a consolation."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49400-Personal-predictions-for-2013.html

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Adam Proteau of THN predicts the Oil will finish 11th in the West:

"11. Edmonton. Oilers fans, players and management are desperate to get back into the playoffs for the first time since 2006 – and with so many young stars now part of the fold, they’re on the verge of turning the corner and getting back to respectability. But with all due respect to rookies Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, they’ll still need the veterans on the team (i.e. Shawn Horcoff, Devan Dubnyk, Ryan Whitney and Ales Hemsky) to do some of the heavy lifting to get them there. The West is so competitive, Edmonton might be back in the draft lottery once again, but I think this is the year they slowly start creeping up their division standings. Small consolation? Sure. But at least it’s a consolation."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49400-Personal-predictions-for-2013.html

I'm not gonna argue their predictions, but THN is complete garbage.

No Good Names Left

Jan 30, 2007
The Van and Minny games will make or break the playoffs for us.

To me, the 9 game road trip is the make or break scenario. Play well and get confidence, might make playoffs. Play sh!tty and we are done for playoffs.

I am not liking Vancouver nearly as much this year as the past years.
With Minny playing less conservative, more offensive, I think we stand a better chance.

HockeyOrDie

Hockey Hockey Hockey
May 13, 2011
www.HockeyOrDie.com
FWIW:

3 out of the 5 panel "experts" on Sportsnet just said that they predict that the Oilers will make the playoffs even though SN officially have them finishing 11th.

Goaltending, sandpaper and grit were mentioned as possible issues, but they felt that the pieces were there and it's very possible they could make it in.

Kypreos also said that he had heard from an NHL scout (I believe) that Schultz was being compared to a cross between Doughty and Karlsson.

Last edited:

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
TSN has them finishing 13th.

Yeah that surprised me their panel seemed to talk about the oilers so well yet the have us only improving one spot
I honestly think they are wrong this year I don't know if we make playoffs but we should be IMO somewhere around 11-8

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
TSN's projection was hilarious. All they did was gush about the team and their chances and then boom "TSN projects the Edmonton Oilers to finish 13th."

"Wow, I thought that we'd have them one or two spots higher." -Duthie

Shut up Duthie.

I know that the team has done nothing but fail for six seasons but way to go out on a limb guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad