Where do the Oilers finish this season?

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I think the strange schedule might help shake up the standings and open the door for some unexpected rankings.

I also think the Oilers are a little bit overdue and if they DON'T take drastic strides this season, I will be more disappointed than I think I've ever been with this team.

There is no excuse not to be in the playoffs after 48 games.

I predict they'll (finally) play some big boy hockey.

5th place finish and that should set them up against a beatable 1rst round opponent this spring.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I picked 3rd (by virtue of winning the division, I'll say 5th in actuall points). Call it blind homer optimism, but I think everything is set up perfectly for us for a number of reasons:

1. VAN is a team on the limp and IIRC only had 4 players playing during the lockout. They will get out of the gate slowly as well as having to deal with the Luongo media circus that will only grow relative to a slow start. Despite all these factors, they'll still be a playoff team and the division crown will likely come down to a few points, but the advantage will be ours thanks to....

2. Our very good collection of picks and prospects being available for an upgrade at the deadline. We've stockpiled for a while, and though a team shouldn't get too complacent with its developmental system, we don't have room for them all. A prospect like Paajarvi, Musil or Marincin (plus pick) is worth giving up for a chance to secure a playoff spot and make some noise.

3. Our PP is going to be lethal. We were 3rd last year with an 18 yr old Nuge and Corey Potter at the point. Everyone is a year older and wiser and Kreuger is very crafty in keeping the OKC unit together. The competition has had a week to practice and diagram their PK. Our PP has had that same time and 30+ game situations of preparation.

4. Taylor Hall taking the next step. In watching all these season preview shows I've seen much love for Ebs and The Nuge, and Hallsy seems to be the forgotten man despite being (IMO) the best player on the team. I think his developmental curve will follow a similar path to JT (and it has to this point), and Hall will put up a point per game.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I think the strange schedule might help shake up the standings and open the door for some unexpected rankings.

I also think the Oilers are a little bit overdue and if they DON'T take drastic strides this season, I will be more disappointed than I think I've ever been with this team.

5th place finish and that should set them up against a beatable 1rst round opponent this spring.
Yup. That's where I am with this team as well. If they don't make significant strides this season then the club is in trouble. It won't be a stretch to say that they're wandering in the woods.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Nobody has mentioned Krueger's system. If its a realistic one for the western conf, and if the Oilers have the team to follow thru. My worries are more based on past issues with significant injuries that snake bite this team. The farm really has crap for call ups, so that's why I stay conservative and say 10-12.
Wanna be wrong obviously.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Yup. That's where I am with this team as well. If they don't make significant strides this season then the club is in trouble. It won't be a stretch to say that they're wandering in the woods.

Without significant improvement, the comparisons to the Pittsburgh/Chicago model stop and be replaced with the Islanders, Panthers, Blue Jackets, etc.

The tricky part is pinning down what acceptable improvement would look like. Would finishing 11th in the conference be ok? 9th? Or is it playoffs or bust? I can see a long off season with lots of debate on these forums if we end up in a scenario where we finish 12th or 13th but are maybe only 5-6 points out of a playoff spot.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
5th place and people already really HATE Yakupov but he still doesn't care.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Has anyone else watched too many prediction shows (tsn,sportsnet) and other related hockey shows that your brain is ready to explode? I've heard enough speculation for at least a year, I just want hockey to start so we can see what we got

The Perfect Human*

Has anyone else watched too many prediction shows (tsn,sportsnet) and other related hockey shows that your brain is ready to explode? I've heard enough speculation for at least a year, I just want hockey to start so we can see what we got

This. I have a feeling given that it's a shortened season, and that there's been an 8-month delay for different players to advance or regress to a level that we don't know, that the TSN panel really has no idea how to predict what's going to happen.

Their predictions are basically based on how players were performing as of the end of last season - which is probably the best way to go.

But to be honest, I feel their predictions aren't going to be as accurate as they've been in the past, given the circumstances.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto

If this team performs like it did in the last three seasons, I expect Tambellini to be turfed.

Can't be proud of finishing with top draft picks every year. I expect results this season.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
:laugh:

Our segment on Hockey Central was funny

Mike Keenan: They will not make the playoffs, so it doesn't matter

*Silence*

Maclean: ... I got them in...

*Silence*

Kypreos: ... I got them in too...

Brad May: I got them in...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:laugh:

Our segment on Hockey Central was funny

Mike Keenan: They will not make the playoffs, so it doesn't matter

*Silence*

Maclean: ... I got them in...

*Silence*

Kypreos: ... I got them in too...

Brad May: I got them in...

Most of TSN was the same way.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Sportsnet analysts are a joke. They are only there to get their face on TV and spend more time trying to talk over each other than make a valid point. Can't stand watching them at all. That and John Shannon looks like Bubbles.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I voted 6th. I believe all of us long suffering Oiler fans have earned this. Time to start a Redwings run of in the playoffs every year and always contending. We deserve this finally!

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
This is honestly one of the most honest threads I've seen in a long time, not very much of the we're the best offence in the world we're gonna own teams stuff I read when I lurk other oilers threads, it's refreshing as a fringe oilers fan (live in edmonton) the core is exciting, I place the oilers between 7th and 9th, but I think that ranking rests solely on Kruegers team defense and Dubnyks play.

Honestly the thing I'm looking forward to most this year is finally a competitive BoA. We added some big pieces, you got a year older, plus Yak & Schultz. I think it's gonna be a fun year, I'm stoked!

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Oil will make the playoffs if they call penalties, but they wont if the refs put the whistles away like they did as the season went on. Our kids are skilled enough to excel if the league allows them to play, but if other team are able to slow the game down without getting penalized, this team doesnt have the size or experience to fight through it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad