Post-Game Talk: Where did my Hamburger go? Habs lose 5-2

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
These threads are comical after a loss.

Some of you live in some dream world where a brilliant coach puts a system in place where the other team is sure top lose, even if they show up a lot more hungry and outwork you. This magical system is so great that no grinding is involved, the puck just magically ends up on your players' sticks time after time without having to win any puck battles. Posession is endless with a gazillion passes in a row and ends up with a nice fancy play into the net.

:laugh:

Some of you need to start coaching, then send us videos of these great systems.

What you don't seem to grasp is that Therrien is probably the worst coach of any current playoffs team. Do you agree or disagree?

If you disagree, name us the coach that is worst than Therrien right now on a playoff team.

And mind you, we're currently in the playoffs because we have Price, Subban, Markov holding the fort and Pacioretty scoring goals for us. Not because we have a competent coach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
JJD looked like a fool in the in-game interview with Marc Denis , really anxious , didn't have a clue how to fight back into the game. Price and Subban comments were interesting, MT seems to have lost the players/room.
What were their comments?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What you don't seem to grasp is that Therrien is probably the worst coach of any current playoffs team. Do you agree or disagree?

If you disagree, name us the coach that is worst than Therrien right now on a playoff team.
And mind you, we're currently in the playoffs because we have Price, Subban, Markov holding the fort and Pacioretty scoring goals for us. Not because we have a competent coach.

Well the Pens have a rookie coach with no experience in the playoffs!

Capuano doesn't have much more, 6 playoff games I believe

And finally Therrien did take out Cooper and Julien last year.

So I'm not MT biggest fan, but you won't convince me that's he's the worst out there.

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Well the Pens have a rookie coach with no experience in the playoffs!

Capuano doesn't have much more, 6 playoff games I believe

And finally Therrien did take out Cooper and Julien last year.

So I'm not MT biggest fan, but you won't convince me that's he's the worst out there.

Sorry but the lack of experience doesn't mean they're inferior coaches.

If you actually watch Pens and Isles games, you know they have a better structure then we have. They just don't have Carey Price + Subban/Markov and that's the big difference.

Come on bro.

Cooper is better than Therrien by a mile.
Julien is also better but his roster is slow and his goalie have the Habs as his kryptonite.

And sorry but you can't win a playoff game with Lindback as your goalie, especially against the best goalie in the world, and now he's the Buffalo Sabres goalie.

Last edited:

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
my theory is the trades, the new guys they brought in, messed with the team chemistry too much. Bringing in those new guys and taking out Bournival and Thomas, screwed the chemistry on the team. Before the trades the team was playing great and winning. coincidence?

They started losing vs Sharks, only Petry was there then.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Sorry but if you actually watch Pens and Isles games, you know they have a better structure then we have. They just don't have Carey Price + Subban/Markov and that's the big difference.

Come on bro.

Cooper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Therrien
Julien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Therrien

And sorry but you can't win a playoff game with Lindback as your goalie, especially against the best goalie in the world, and now he's the Buffalo Sabres goalie.

Not sure about the Pens and Isles having better structure but whatever.

Also Julien, is where he is BTW because of Chara and Tim Thomas. So let's be patient and see if MT can change come playoff time. And again, believe me when I tell you I ain't his biggest fan!

Dec 8, 2014

I can't remember exactly, but it's the first time I hear PK talk about this risk-minimizing-thing and the team didn't follow the system... Not odd a guy like PK doesn't like this. Price basicaly said the same thing in a more polite way.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

They gave the cliche answers.

"Stick to the system" and another one was "we're not worried, we're first in the standings." Therrien also said something about not worrying because we're first. He doesn't have a clue.

I wonder if anyone in the organization has seen that we're bottom in the league in GFPG and have Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Carolina, New Jersey, etc. as our company and thought "****, we need to make adjustments/fix this!"

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
They gave the cliche answers.

"Stick to the system" and another one was "we're not worried, we're first in the standings." Therrien also said something about not worrying because we're first. He doesn't have a clue.

I wonder if anyone in the organization has seen that we're bottom in the league in GFPG and have Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Carolina, New Jersey, etc. as our company and thought "****, we need to make adjustments/fix this!"

If Therrien said that then it's pretty dumb, there is definitely some concern reagrding our play in the last 2 weeks.

There is a 3pts difference in the overall league standings from 1 to 8. It's unreal

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I just really hope that Therrien and this "system" hasn't drained Carey Price mentally. Physically? I'm not worried. He's 27, should be in prime shape. But mentally is another story. I don't care who you are, which goalie you are, whatever; knowing you have to allow 2 goals or less on a constant basis because your team can't score will eventually drain you mentally, and without Price, we're nothing.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Just like in 86, the team turns on the coach, slump horribly going into playoffs, and then boom.....we win the cup

In that year we were sixth in offense, fourth in defense, had the third best PP and the eight best PK in the league. Basically that team was a good one with a 100 point scorer in Naslund, our last 100 point scorer BTW, Smith as the #1 centre, Robinson as our #1 D and players like Carbonneau/Gainey/Chelios/Nilan/Skrudland/Dahlin providing great depth. We are not at this level, especially with our anemic offense. A new coach will help things marginally but wont change what we have, a bunch of offensively inept players. Why is Pacioretty able to score in this system while the rest of the players are shooting blanks?

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Not sure about the Pens and Isles having better structure but whatever.

Also Julien, is where he is BTW because of Chara and Tim Thomas. So let's be patient and see if MT can change come playoff time. And again, believe me when I tell you I ain't his biggest fan!

Julien had success with the Canadiens with a sub par team, with the Devils and now the Bruins. His record is also better and he won a Stanley Cup. I don't know how you can argue that he's a worst coach than Therrien. But hey, to each his opinion I guess!

I also hope Therrien can change come playoff time, but I have my doubts.

Dec 8, 2014
Julien had success with the Canadiens with a sub par team, with the Devils and now the Bruins. His record is also better and he won a Stanley Cup. I don't know how you can argue that he's a worst coach than Therrien. But hey, to each his opinion I guess!

And Julien was with team canada, seemed to have good chemistry with Babcock.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Seriously Carbo did a decent job with the team he had at that time. I'm not saying he should be back coaching this team, on the contrary I think theres better options out there, but he would do a better job than Therrien with our current team.

Carbo?? He was terrible. He was still sending message in the final minute of our season like a moron. Keeping our best player on the bench in the final minute with our goalie pulled..Similar to Gretzky not being chosen in the shootout for team canada.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If Therrien said that then it's pretty dumb, there is definitely some concern reagrding our play in the last 2 weeks.

There is a 3pts difference in the overall league standings from 1 to 8. It's unreal

He used the standings as an excuse vs Tampa. Last night he looked like he was fuming inside, but kept his composure. He blamed the loss on a lack of compete and effort. When asked about the lack of offence, he said offence wasn't the problem tonight.

Said his players need to work harder, etc. etc. Basically he doesn't know why his team can't score or why his PP is horrible or why his team gets outplayed every game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One year ago, this week in 2014:

NYR 4-5-1 in their last 10 games.
MTL with 3 losses in a row.

A little perspective that teams can end up playing great in April & May, even if they play like crap for a spell in March. And please spare me the doomsaying about Therrien and systems and offence. I already know what this team lacks. No need to repeat the flaws over and over. But even with its system/roster flaws, this group of forwards is playing way below their usual level. Call it a slump, call it coasting, but it's a separate issue from whatever system is in place. Yes, we have trouble scoring, but 7 goals in 6 games is not a typical example of that. Our low-scoring average is still a helluva lot better than 1.16 GPG.

Last night's game was a 40 minute colonoscopy. The last six games have been like binge-watching The Bachelor. The Habs will get back to eating solid food soon enough, just as they'll change the channel on this awful stretch of games.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Markov did the puck drop with captain Karlsson, does that mean Markov is the next captain ?

I swear I've seen Plekanec do it earlier this year. It's meaningless. The Sharks are in the same situation. No one thinks Marleau will be captain (he won't) but he's taken the ceremonial faceoff at least once this year.

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Carbo?? He was terrible. He was still sending message in the final minute of our season like a moron. Keeping our best player on the bench in the final minute with our goalie pulled..Similar to Gretzky not being chosen in the shootout for team canada.

I didn't say he was a good coach at all. I said he did a decent job with the team and roster he had at that time.

Regular season
2006–07: 82G - 42 W - 34 L - 6 OTL ; 90PTS ; 4th in Northeast ; Missed playoffs
2007-08: 82G - 47 W - 25 L - 10 OTL ; 104PTS ; 1st in Northeast ; Playoffs - W 4–3 over BOS, L 4–1 to PHI
2008–09: 66G - 35 W - 24 L - 7 OTL ; Fired before end of season

Mind you, I used the word decent lol.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't say he was a good coach at all. I said he did a decent job with the team and roster he had at that time.

Regular season
2006–07: 82G - 42 W - 34 L - 6 OTL ; 90PTS ; 4th in Northeast ; Missed playoffs
2007-08: 82G - 47 W - 25 L - 10 OTL ; 104PTS ; 1st in Northeast ; Playoffs - W 4–3 over BOS, L 4–1 to PHI
2008–09: 66G - 35 W - 24 L - 7 OTL ; Fired before end of season

Mind you, I used the word decent lol.

Carbo was a terrible coach. The only reason we had success in 07-08 was because we were great on the PP.
Replacing one terrible coach with another is not a solution.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

He was fired right before the playoffs IIRC.

Therrien is not a better coach then Julien, but I was reffering on Julien being a better coach can be argued that he also took advantage of a great pair of defenseman years ago in Seidenberg and Chara and a hot Tim Thomas!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad