Post-Game Talk: Where did my Hamburger go? Habs lose 5-2

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Kings led the league with an incredible 56.8% CF in 2013-2014 and 2012-2013.

Hawks were 4th in the league with an incredible 54.1% CF in 2012-2013.

Kings were 2nd in the league with 54.7% CF in 2011-2012.

Hawks led the league with 56.2% CF in 2009-2010.

Only exception in past 5 years is Boston in 2011, but they were still in the top half.

So essentially they do award the cup based on possession stats.

We're in deeper trouble than I thought. It will take a drastic 180 to get through a round or two during playoffs.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Kings led the league with an incredible 56.8% CF in 2013-2014 and 2012-2013.

Hawks were 4th in the league with an incredible 54.1% CF in 2012-2013.

Kings were 2nd in the league with 54.7% CF in 2011-2012.

Hawks led the league with 56.2% CF in 2009-2010.

Only exception in past 5 years is Boston in 2011, but they were still in the top half.

So essentially they do award the cup based on possession stats.

This is why people who scoff at advanced stats need to stop. Sure, advanced stats won't win you a game, but the numbers have shown, and proven, that they win you championships.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
One thing that struck me about the opening goal was how many shots Markov and Subban were getting on net before the eventual tip-in, and how quickly they were getting the shots off. It was almost as if they did it out of desperation at the end of a 4min PP, instead of on purpose.

PK is 23rd in the league in defencemen Shots On Goal. That's mind blowing!

Last edited:

coleharbrr

Mar 9, 2015
Depth wasn't needed and neither was Petry imho. Habs would have pretty much the same team without the TDL atm, unless they actually had gotten someone who can play on the top 9 without looking like a grinder in the wrong place.

Vanek was the right kind of deal, the last 4 deals were just ill-advised.
agreed! the deals made were unnecessary and only created havoc with the teams chemistry that was built up since training camp. the two guys from buffalo do nothing special that Thomas and Bournival weren't doing already.

Getting Petry from Edmonton also pointless. He is a good player sure, but our young guys from Hamilton Beaulieu, Pateryn and even Tinordi were doing just fine before the trades were made. Bottom line: were we winning, the team was scoring with the guys we had before the deals were made.

Losing Sekac was just dumb....but not as dumb as MTs refusal to play him.
That's all on then coach

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is why people who scoff at advanced stats need to stop. Sure, advanced stats won't win you a game, but the numbers have shown, and proven, that they win you championships.

Advanced stats are like any other stats.

Over a long period of time they means something. After an handful of games not so much.

The problem is people were talking about how much we ****** because of advanced stats after only 20 games. It's not uncommon for good teams to rely on talent alone to win game at the beginning of the season without displaying any worthwhile effort. Now that we are past the trade deadline and we are at the period of the years where it's the time to enter playoffs mode it is becoming worrying.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Advanced stats are like any other stats.

Over a long period of time they means something. After an handful of games not so much.

The problem is people were talking about how much we ****** because of advanced stats after only 20 games. It's not uncommon for good teams to rely on talent alone to win game at the beginning of the season without displaying any worthwhile effort. Now that we are past the trade deadline and we are at the period of the years where it's the time to enter playoffs mode it is becoming worrying.

It wasn't just 20 games. It was over a period of time that stretched out to last season. That's why it was worrying so early this year. And it hasn't changed.

Michelangelo

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
agreed! the deals made were unnecessary and only created havoc with the teams chemistry that was built up since training camp. the two guys from buffalo do nothing special that Thomas and Bournival weren't doing already.

Getting Petry from Edmonton also pointless. He is a good player sure, but our young guys from Hamilton Beaulieu, Pateryn and even Tinordi were doing just fine before the trades were made. Bottom line: were we winning, the team was scoring with the guys we had before the deals were made.

Losing Sekac was just dumb....but not as dumb as MTs refusal to play him.
That's all on then coach

I disagree. This team has had issues scoring for 2 years. This isn't new.
Mitchell and Flynn were brought in so we can have a decent 4th line going into the POs with guys that can still manage to get some points.
However, under Therrien, thoses guys aren't going to score much.
Petry was a great addition. Getting rid of Sekac isn't something I quite understand, but hopefully it will pay off in the POs.

But the flaws in the system and strategies we use have been discussed for 2 years now. Our team has played like crap over the vast majority of that period.
We have a coaching issue. What's worrisome is that we've had this last year too and it didn't stop Bergevin from extending his coach, and to four years no less!
The thought that Therrien is supposed to be coaching Patches-Price-Subban through their prime years is a very serious problem. Bergevin has rectified his mistakes before, but this one is the toughest to fix.

Nynja*

Therrien's system would stifle McDavid's offence.

"Connor here we dump and chase, you dump da puck in or you get benched"

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
lol

DB never went back to the SCF if you don't count the year he took over at the end of the year in 2009

And ironically Byslma didn't change a thing the year he took over for Therrien and the Pens won the cup. He was just a new voice that team needed badly until he could impliment his own system the following year.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
And ironically Byslma didn't change a thing the year he took over for Therrien and the Pens won the cup. He was just a new voice that team needed badly until he could impliment his own system the following year.

Bylsma was definitely a fresh of breath air, however I will disagree that he did not implement his system that very same year they won the cup. I will say this though, I credit Therrien for having left behind the effect on players for competing and grinding it out which benefited them in the playoffs.

I guess you can say that it was a combination of both.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bylsma also suffers from grinderitis by calling the Pens a grinding to the press. It is just that is isn't a petty ****** like Therrien, although his love of Craig Adams was something to behold.

Nynja*

Sooo you're telling me that the same pens that were barely a .500 team that turned into a .850 team by changing coach, was nothing to do with the coach? PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Dec 8, 2014
Sooo you're telling me that the same pens that were barely a .500 team that turned into a .850 team by changing coach, was nothing to do with the coach? PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

It was just a new voice. They hired a coach with the same strategies.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It was just a new voice. They hired a coach with the same strategies.
That's not at all what was said when they fired Therrien. The numbers went up dramatically. It takes more than just inspirational speeches to be able to achieve this kind of change.

Analyzer*

Having the puck more than the opposition only wins you championships if expressed in "advanced stats" form ?

If you watch the habs and know what you're looking for, you can easily see this team isn't as good as their record. You don't need advanced stats to see these midgets don't have the puck as much as other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad