Where can I find the Canes game on TV?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I watched tonight’s game on ESPN+ on a FireStick and that app is straight trash.

No restart from beginning.
Can’t hide scores in the Live section.
REW and FF go way too fast.
When REW/FFing, display disappears quickly.
If you exit playback, it goes to live when you go back to it.

I’m sure there are more. Just so disappointing given it’s friggin ESPN fer chrissakes…you’d think the king of sporting event broadcasting wouldn’t be so terrible. NHL’s app was far superior with its playback controls.

it’s possible that the native app on my Samsung TV is better, or the Roku version of the app is better, but it’s crazy that an app for Amazon’s device would be so overlooked.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
OK, well there it is, sounds pretty official. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm guessing they will offer the same NHL.tv product and price, but you will now need espn+ to get in the door...just like UFC PPV.

Since I already have espn+ currently, it will not be a cost increase for me...but for others it will bump the overall price up by $50...and that price is probably going up in the not-so-distant future.

3) NHL.tv also blacks out nationally televised games that are on NBCSports...but going forward, those games will be on ESPN...and you'll first need an ESPN+ account to pay up for the 1000 out-of-market games premium package.

So...turns out I was wrong about this. They've taken a product I was paying ~$140/yr for and folded it into a product I was already paying $50/yr for without increasing the price.

The only thing I'll miss from NHL.tv is that they had the nice time stamps on the games so you could easily go back and find critical points in games like goals, big saves, and hits. So, if you get home mid-game, and the score is whatever, 2-1, on NHL.tv, you could skip to those goals immediately and then go back to live.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I watched tonight’s game on ESPN+ on a FireStick and that app is straight trash.

No restart from beginning.
Can’t hide scores in the Live section.
REW and FF go way too fast.
When REW/FFing, display disappears quickly.
If you exit playback, it goes to live when you go back to it.

I’m sure there are more. Just so disappointing given it’s friggin ESPN fer chrissakes…you’d think the king of sporting event broadcasting wouldn’t be so terrible. NHL’s app was far superior with its playback controls.

it’s possible that the native app on my Samsung TV is better, or the Roku version of the app is better, but it’s crazy that an app for Amazon’s device would be so overlooked.

how was the audio sync for you? That was my big complaint. It was off several seconds at times. Also using the app via Amazon firetv.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
More Reasons to Despise Spectrum – A Rant

Backstory. Longtime cord cuter – early on PSVue, now YTTV which I like OK and GF watches using my account at her place so it ain’t going anywhere. Researching here and elsewhere I heard about VPN probs with Plus which I bought anyway because… hockey. Ended up with Spectrum Select which only tacked on $30 to internet bill. Figure $6 per home game, not bad and get the pre/post game shows. My Android TV won’t access their App but I have a Roku stick so no prob. The Spectrum stream is actually better than the Bally App stream so good for them. Problem – cannot pause, RW, FF nor record. I call Spectrum.

M: How can I FF, etc. or record Hurricanes games?
S: You need Spectrum Cloud Service.
M: How much?
S: $10.95/mo.
M: (A F***ing rip-off). Hmmm.
S: But it is only available on Samsung and Apple TVs.
M: (WTF?) That’s dumb.
S: Sorry sir. We can send you an Apple TV box and you can pay for it monthly or all at once.
M: (out of curiosity) How much?
S: $179
M: (@#*&^**!). Umm, no, but thank you.

Put down phone, I begin to channel @MrazeksVengeance . WRATH! Thoughts of RAMPAGE and MAYHEM well up inside me. I suppress the urge to drive to the Spectrum store and throw bricks in their windows.

upload_2021-10-16_11-50-29.jpeg

I mean, I live a pretty moral and ethical life. Don’t intentionally hurt people nor litter or park in handicap spaces though I could. I say ‘thank you” and “please”. Hold open doors for all kinds of folks. Why do they do this? Why make it so hard just to watch a GD hockey game? It’s not just the out and out rapacity but the utterly ineptness and convolutedness of it all- like a Rube Goldberg machine.
upload_2021-10-16_11-49-29.jpeg

Not the money issue for me; I’m OK there. I could have more riches than Croesus and I wouldn’t pay those greedy bastards a penny more.

So I sit here, and, probably just like most all of you, wonder how and why the world is going to hell in a hand basket so rapidly and inanely.

/End Rant.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
More Reasons to Despise Spectrum – A Rant

Backstory. Longtime cord cuter – early on PSVue, now YTTV which I like OK and GF watches using my account at her place so it ain’t going anywhere. Researching here and elsewhere I heard about VPN probs with Plus which I bought anyway because… hockey. Ended up with Spectrum Select which only tacked on $30 to internet bill. Figure $6 per home game, not bad and get the pre/post game shows. My Android TV won’t access their App but I have a Roku stick so no prob. The Spectrum stream is actually better than the Bally App stream so good for them. Problem – cannot pause, RW, FF nor record. I call Spectrum.

M: How can I FF, etc. or record Hurricanes games?
S: You need Spectrum Cloud Service.
M: How much?
S: $10.95/mo.
M: (A F***ing rip-off). Hmmm.
S: But it is only available on Samsung and Apple TVs.
M: (WTF?) That’s dumb.
S: Sorry sir. We can send you an Apple TV box and you can pay for it monthly or all at once.
M: (out of curiosity) How much?
S: $179
M: (@#*&^**!). Umm, no, but thank you.

Put down phone, I begin to channel @MrazeksVengeance . WRATH! Thoughts of RAMPAGE and MAYHEM well up inside me. I suppress the urge to drive to the Spectrum store and throw bricks in their windows.

View attachment 471115

I mean, I live a pretty moral and ethical life. Don’t intentionally hurt people nor litter or park in handicap spaces though I could. I say ‘thank you” and “please”. Hold open doors for all kinds of folks. Why do they do this? Why make it so hard just to watch a GD hockey game? It’s not just the out and out rapacity but the utterly ineptness and convolutedness of it all- like a Rube Goldberg machine.
View attachment 471114

Not the money issue for me; I’m OK there. I could have more riches than Croesus and I wouldn’t pay those greedy bastards a penny more.

So I sit here, and, probably just like most all of you, wonder how and why the world is going to hell in a hand basket so rapidly and inanely.

/End Rant.

STEAL THE f*** OUT OF EVERYTHING YOU CAN FROM THE CABLE INDUSTRY. f*** THEM.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
In a new twist, not only is there ESPN+ to watch out of town games, there's also "NHL LIVE" for $30 a month.

upload_2021-10-19_16-40-40.png

A) Could they have made this switch any more complicated if they tried?
B) Who in their right mind would pay $30 a month for NHL LIVE when you can pay $7 a month for ESPN+?!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
In a new twist, not only is there ESPN+ to watch out of town games, there's also "NHL LIVE" for $30 a month.

View attachment 472216

A) Could they have made this switch any more complicated if they tried?
B) Who in their right mind would pay $30 a month for NHL LIVE when you can pay $7 a month for ESPN+?!
Maybe that’s what’s available in Canada?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So i can confirm after last night that all you need is the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ package and a Roku device, then watch on Hulu. And you can follow that up by streaming Letterkenny. And if you've got a problem with streaming the Canes and Letterkennys then you got a problem with me. And i suggest you let that one marinate.

You don't even need a Roku. I use a Chromecast and stream it from my phone or laptop to the TV. But I've noticed no post-game - have they done away with that entirely or what? I'm not even seeing it in the Bally's app anymore.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You don't even need a Roku. I use a Chromecast and stream it from my phone or laptop to the TV. But I've noticed no post-game - have they done away with that entirely or what? I'm not even seeing it in the Bally's app anymore.
The lack of it in the Bally's app comes as a surprise.

My parents still have cable so i know they had the post game on this past weekend. ESPN/Hulu gives you a little pre game and after it ends they shut down the stream as well.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
It seems pre/post is hit or miss on Bally app. Trying to figure out if it is a home/away thing. Both are on the spectrum app and cable. Kinda why I went ahead and paid for the spectrum stream. Just getting too damn old to dick around these days.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well the Hulu/ESPN+ option no longer works on Roku. It's automatically dropping the feed when you attempt to load it if you live in-area. Was nice while it lasted.

Edit: annnnnnnnnnd not convinced it's not an app issue. I just tried pulling up the Seattle game on my Roku and it crashed. Was able to pull our game up on Hulu on my Samsung Smart TV (not Roku).

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I have hulu live but not an espn+ subscription- I've been able to get the national espn+ games through that but I wonder if when the canes have a nationally broadcast game if it will black me out. Will have to wait and see i guess

Reactions: geehaad

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Well the Hulu/ESPN+ option no longer works on Roku. It's automatically dropping the feed when you attempt to load it if you live in-area. Was nice while it lasted.

Edit: annnnnnnnnnd not convinced it's not an app issue. I just tried pulling up the Seattle game on my Roku and it crashed. Was able to pull our game up on Hulu on my Samsung Smart TV (not Roku).

I mainly watch on Firestick but tonight’s the first time its worked on my Roku.

Watching ESPN+ through HULU doesn’t have any blackout restrictions which is nice

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Since the trip to Flodiduh, it’s been blacked out and says blacked out.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I have stopped watching games entirely. Radio is fine, and I'm happy catching the highlights later if they're worth catching.

The cable bullshit game is just making me consume less sports in general (almost none at this point). They can either figure it out, and make it dead easy for me to consume my sport of choice at reasonable price without all the extra bullshit I don't want, or not. I'm done chasing them.

I'm honestly just as happy playing NHL20 as I am to watch hockey on TV, because then I only pay once.

They'd better figure this shit out. The golden goose won't live forever. There's too many other ways to spend your time now.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Amid sports TV chaos, what happens if Sinclair’s RSNs go bankrupt next year?

Worth a read if you subscribe to The Athletic. MLB oriented article but goes into how, in many cases, they don't own the digital rights for their planned apps and shares in detail their other woes. Teams might not get paid if they have to go into bankruptcy. Sounds like the parent company has been paying the bills.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Amid sports TV chaos, what happens if Sinclair’s RSNs go bankrupt next year?

Worth a read if you subscribe to The Athletic. MLB oriented article but goes into how, in many cases, they don't own the digital rights for their planned apps and shares in detail their other woes. Teams might not get paid if they have to go into bankruptcy. Sounds like the parent company has been paying the bills.

This makes me wonder how many teams own a good share of their broadcast rights and if the Canes might be one of them. I know most of us would rather give the Canes our money directly to catch our games than give a damn dime to Sinclair.

Staal Goodman

May 15, 2011
Swansboro, NC
There's some smoke coming from Capitol Broadcasting and the implosion of Sinclair that is interesting to see. I have heard it hinted at multiple times on 99.9 (I have it on as background sound during the day, brain rot incoming) that CBC is gonna have some type of sports channel coming in the next few months. They recently purchased WARZ to convert to an ATSC 3.0 multicast, but they have space for programming inventory on that channels ATSC 1.0 signal (simulcasted on a digital subchannel of WRAL proper) .

WNGT-CD - Wikipedia

Even just simulcasting 99.9 with a video feed during the afternoon hours would pull in better ratings than whatever Creflo Dollar scam that the channel is currently playing, so there is an opportunity there for them. And with Raycom no longer existing, CBC probably wants to get back into some local(ish) sports broadcast, since we all know those are where the ratings are in this streaming world.

Hell it wouldn't surprise me if they're working a sports streaming app to go along with it. I've used the WRAL app on Roku a few times and its presentation and use is leagues ahead of whatever crap Bally is using.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
FYI…Canes-Vegas now available on ESPN APP. So, my conclusion is that 48 hours is the time limit.

Btw: Vegas feed..great picture, no ticker and slim scoreboard on upper left.

I wish Bally would take that approach.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad