Confirmed with Link: When Will Werenski Sign (UPDATE: 9 September 2019, apparently - $15m/3yr)

When will Werenski sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What if they don't want to sign early? What if they don't want long term deals?

Then the CBJ RFA players have been a unique group.

Seth Jones signed an under market deal. So you're saying Anderson and Atkinson (who professes to adore the city of Columbus) didn't want to?

Take off your "Jarmo is the greatest GM" blinders.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What if they don't want to sign early? What if they don't want long term deals?

You're right, that is/was a possibility. However, if Jarmo came forth in the middle of theseason and offered even 6 mm for 8 years I think the odds were in his favor. Now with RFA's playing hardball, once again his "late to the party" strategy could easily backfire. We'll see.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You're right, that is/was a possibility. However, if Jarmo came forth in the middle of theseason and offered even 6 mm for 8 years I think the odds were in his favor. Now with RFA's playing hardball, once again his "late to the party" strategy could easily backfire. We'll see.

So, if he is late to the party, I guess every other GM is late to the party also, right?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
When he becomes a UFA, he'll probably look at the direction of our team and make a decision based on that. His brother lives with him and works at Honda plus his parents are at his apartment all the time. There was also a story from Portz about Zack and some of the Blue Jackets being frustrated with the CBJ marketing department. According to the story, he felt the CBJ should be doing a lot more to promote the team and players in the community and they would all be willing to help. So he seems to be content and wanting to make a go of it here inColumbus.
Plus a house undergoing major renovation at Muirfield Village. He isn't going anywhere.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Its not just defenseman, and NEITHER guy has "regressed" as a hockey player since their rookie NHL seasons.

The people who say that just simply look at the "results" or the "numbers", mainly OFFENSIVE numbers. The truth is NO hockey player/NHL player gets worse as a player at 19-20-21 years old, the things that DO change are the fans perception/"hype" of the player, along with MANY-MANY situational things involving the team personnel and the on-ice usage and deployment of each individual player. Injuries and quite a bit different off ice/preparation "issues" are 2 legit issues that can affect a player negatively. Ex: BC Summer ER visit.

However, a player going from easier ice time his 1st year or so, and then not being able to adapt as quickly as others can to more or tougher ice time, should not be seen as "regressing", as in Werenski's case.

And to add to this, and to add to more of my HATE for the decimals, just how much of the game of hockey (and Werenski's wrist shots from the point through 8 bodies) is "a game of inches"?! Where do all the instances of "luck" or "chance" fit into the "numbers"/"analytics" and the concept of "regression"? Serious questions.

Murray-Jones is a superior #1 pairing, and will be going forward.

I believe we see Werenski moved this summer and the initial reaction will be very similar to the Jones trade along with the results moving forward.

Listen you're very condescending. That's obvious.
Two in Murray's second year the team didn't do squat in free agency and was on record as saying the biggest addition was "a full season of murray". He played his way down to the bottom pairing. Last off season most on here was ready to toss him to the side, then he came back and played well last season. So I do see (and yes I have Season Tickets and watch about every game) him regressing from his first season until last season.

So again take all you're crap who only look at results. I watch the CBJ a lot.

I hope he is a top pairing guy but to tell me he never regressed is wrong.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
History and retrospective analysis seem to support CR. I can't remember when Jarmo locked any player up before he had to and even when he eventually did he seems to have gone for too short of a term. Given the fiasco with B&B, to not have extended Zach during the season just seems like bad judgement. And this coming year he has Andy & PLD to deal with. I'd like to see both of them with solid 7 or 8 year deals before the end of the season

Pretty sure he signed Nick Foligno before he had to lol, but I believe he was a pending UFA not RFA? Was Nuti's deal early?

Anyway, you can say he should have signed him before the offseason, but it still requires Zach to sign the contract. Maybe he just didn't want to.

Brayden Point and Mitch Marner are high profile RFAs still not signed. Are those bad GMs too?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
History and retrospective analysis seem to support CR. I can't remember when Jarmo locked any player up before he had to and even when he eventually did he seems to have gone for too short of a term. Given the fiasco with B&B, to not have extended Zach during the season just seems like bad judgement. And this coming year he has Andy & PLD to deal with. I'd like to see both of them with solid 7 or 8 year deals before the end of the season

Wennberg, but I forget many consider that another case against Jarmo \shrug

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Listen you're very condescending. That's obvious.
Two in Murray's second year the team didn't do squat in free agency and was on record as saying the biggest addition was "a full season of murray". He played his way down to the bottom pairing. Last off season most on here was ready to toss him to the side, then he came back and played well last season. So I do see (and yes I have Season Tickets and watch about every game) him regressing from his first season until last season.

So again take all you're crap who only look at results. I watch the CBJ a lot.

I hope he is a top pairing guy but to tell me he never regressed is wrong.

Hey, I like getting responses, how does 1 do that around here? Did Murray EVER actually, "play his way down to the bottom pairing"??

Getting, "a full season of Murray", was in response/relation to Murray being injured and missing a huge chunk of time the year just before that. As I said in that initial response, injuries and different off ice issues are a couple things that can affect their growth or ability as a player. Not getting better, or not continuing the same supposed growth pattern is NOT "regressing". Goes for both Murray and Werenski, as now people are saying the same for Werenski.

How much of this "regression" or "playing down to the bottom pairing", was him literally his recovering from different injuries and getting back to "100%"?? How much of it was so he can actually HELP out and balance the defensive pairings/3rd pair? I mean, since you have season tickets, can you explain to me what Murray has ever regressed at? Why are injuries treated so different (as an "excuse") in regards to Murray and Werenski/others?

Again, there's so many different factors that led to Murray getting "bottom pairing" type minutes for a short time, other than him "playing his way down". The simple additions to the defense like Jones and Werenski, along with his injuries and simply being out of the lineup really are the main cause.

The FACT that so many on here were ready to toss him away quite literally PROVES my point. You think he just magically got better last offseason somehow and went from a bottom pairing level to top pairing level? Or was it that these people who had their anti Murray feelings ingrained into them for whatever reasons had many different things affecting their judgement other than his actual play?

What was Murray better at last year? And what was Werenski worse at?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wennberg, but I forget many consider that another case against Jarmo \shrug

You're missing the point. Wennberg signed 9/1 right before the season. If Jarmo had extended him during the previous season he might have got him for less. Its the whole concept of not extending guys coming off an ELC during the year but waiting for the season to be done.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You're missing the point. Wennberg signed 9/1 right before the season. If Jarmo had extended him during the previous season he might have got him for less. Its the whole concept of not extending guys coming off an ELC during the year but waiting for the season to be done.

But what if the player wants to wait?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

I did miss the point. I thought the main compliant was Jarmo not signing longer deals after the ELC for his RFAs to buy UFA years or just the short term contacts in general other than Jones (given Anderson, Johansen, Bob as examples). Wennberg was a counter to that argument regardless of what people think of him as a player.

I stand corrected.

Reactions: EspenK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Only until the hubbub died down...now for bad things like jumping off a bridge I have resisted for my entire life

So what you’re saying is that there is not one clear, consistent method by which to approach these kinds of situations and that each should be weighed on its own merit?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As every day passes without a top FA signing I believe that the damn will break for Zach (and Provorov and McAvoy) once Trouba signs which I think will happen prior to whenever his arbitration hearing is scheduled.

Once guys like Connor, Laine, Tkachuk, Boeser, et al start to sign, Jarmo should hop on those comps and start trying to extend PLD & Andy before the end of the season and next years UFA market send salaries skyrocketing again.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
As every day passes without a top FA signing I believe that the damn will break for Zach (and Provorov and McAvoy) once Trouba signs which I think will happen prior to whenever his arbitration hearing is scheduled.

Once guys like Connor, Laine, Tkachuk, Boeser, et al start to sign, Jarmo should hop on those comps and start trying to extend PLD & Andy before the end of the season and next years UFA market send salaries skyrocketing again.

We’re probably going to have to wait till September

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I wouldn't. That'd be pretty dangerous spending considering he just lost his best winger. If there is very little to no dropoff from his production with Panarin (or, even better production) we will have to break the bank for PLD, but it will be justified. I wouldn't extend him now.

As for Anderson, I agree.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How come all the CBJ RFAs have "wanted to wait" and the rest of the league's haven't? Until very recently.

Keep apologizing for Jarmo. It never gets old.

Nutivaara - signed in March.
Savard - signed in September.
Jones - signed a couple days before free agency.
Cam - signed his 3-year deal in March, then his 7-year deal in November.

Those don't really fit your narrative, though.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nutivaara - signed in March.
Savard - signed in September.
Jones - signed a couple days before free agency.
Cam - signed his 3-year deal in March, then his 7-year deal in November.

Those don't really fit your narrative, though.

Cam does. Cam should have been signed to a longer term deal when he signed the 3 year deal.

Jones was a gift. Pure and simple. Came from the Nashville culture. Good on Jarmo for taking advantage of it. You can't lose them all, right?

Nutivaara is a roster filler guy. Who cares.

Savard was entering his 6th professional season. Savard was going to be a UFA in one season past his signing date on this one. Throw Jarmo a parade.

Toot Jarmo's horn when Anderson's negotiations go north of $6 million/year. I'll be listening for it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not disagreeing with your overall notion, but someone on the other side could easily explain away the RFAs you listed as you just did here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad