Confirmed with Link: When Will Werenski Sign (UPDATE: 9 September 2019, apparently - $15m/3yr)

When will Werenski sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's a new era for the RFAs and the CBJ has a front office which loves to go to the mat with their talented RFAs.

Does Jarmo wake up and smell the roses of the new RFA era or does he stick to his uncompromising principles regarding RFAs?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I like how he constantly complains about Jarmo. He's complaining about the way Jarmo deals with RFA contracts while ignoring the fact that teams are having issues with signing all of the top RFA's. Also, while we have heard teams are having problems signing their RFA's, we haven't heard anything negative about Columbus and Werenski.

Reactions: Moch Daear

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I like how he constantly complains about Jarmo. He's complaining about the way Jarmo deals with RFA contracts while ignoring the fact that teams are having issues with signing all of the top RFA's. Also, while we have heard teams are having problems signing their RFA's, we haven't heard anything negative about Columbus and Werenski.
Are you ignoring Jarmo's well documented problems with signing top RFAs-Jones aside (thank you David Poile)

So when do you think he'll sign?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It's a new era for the RFAs and the CBJ has a front office which loves to go to the mat with their talented RFAs.

Does Jarmo wake up and smell the roses of the new RFA era or does he stick to his uncompromising principles regarding RFAs?

What are you talking about? Jarmo just overpaid for Harrington :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Are you ignoring Jarmo's well documented problems with signing top RFAs-Jones aside (thank you David Poile)

So when do you think he'll sign?

No. Are you ignoring the fact that pretty much every team is struggling to sign their good RFA's? Fact is, Jarmo gets them signed and to good contracts. I know so many on here hate our front office and think they are idiots, but we are really lucky to have such a good front office.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Werenski catches the short term 5 year deal for max $ bug that is going around I think it will be a tougher deal than might be expected. Personally I'd hope for 6 to 8 years at up to 7 mill. In any case I hope Jarmo locks him up ASAP.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. Later this month.

2. I agree with your position most of the time when it comes to management and treating of its own players/prospects, but I don't see how this will be another of those situations especially since the league has drifted towards long term deals.

3. I don't think a trade is likely or on the table as Jarmo has mentioned him as part of the young core multiple times, including on Monday.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1. Later this month.

2. I agree with your position most of the time when it comes to management and treating of its own players/prospects, but I don't see how this will be another of those situations especially since the league has drifted towards long term deals.

3. I don't think a trade is likely or on the table as Jarmo has mentioned him as part of the young core multiple times, including on Monday.

Given the massive off season losses of top personnel, I could see Jarmo giving away the farm to save some face. If Z signs prior to the opening game, I'm guessing he gets $8 million per year-which is absurd given his liabilities defensively. But he has all of the leverage and he and his agent know it.

I think the road to a contract for Z is going to be a lot rockier than most anticipate. That being said, he will sign a deal tomorrow at team friendly terms.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Given the massive off season losses of top personnel, I could see Jarmo giving away the farm to save some face. If Z signs prior to the opening game, I'm guessing he gets $8 million per year-which is absurd given his liabilities defensively. But he has all of the leverage and he and his agent know it.

I think the road to a contract for Z is going to be a lot rockier than most anticipate. That being said, he will sign a deal tomorrow at team friendly terms.

I don't think Jarmo is worried about saving face. With JD gone, he and Zito could be the safest management duo in the league other than St. Louis. Small market Columbus went all in on adding talent and lots of money at the deadline, thats a sign of ownership believing in the men in charge. I don't think that would change even if we fall off, as they understand our losses.

I think 7-8 years 6-8 million per season would be a steal down the line. I don't think he will ever be known for his defensive abilities, but I don't think he was a liability either. His offensive gifts are worthy of a big contract, and I think his defensive game has made lots of strides especially comparing where he was when the year began. He still has his moments, but I think on most teams in the league he'd be a top pairing guy, and at 21-22 years old that's nothing to sniff at.

Reactions: cbjfan and EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not going to search for it but there was an analysis of his game last season and if I recall correctly it showed his D to not be the liability many here seem to believe it is. :dunno:

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm not going to search for it but there was an analysis of his game last season and if I recall correctly it showed his D to not be the liability many here seem to believe it is. :dunno:

I don't know where this has come from honestly. Yes, he had stretches of terrible play defensively last year. I remember a game against Philly where he was repeatedly beaten like a drum. But this was his first season of getting major defensive responsibilities. He was the man when Jones was out, and played pretty well in that role. Once Jones came back, he had a hard time adjusting to his old role. But once the turn of the calendar hit, he was really good on both ends of the puck, and a beast in the playoffs.

Reactions: Viqsi and EspenK

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
How long does he wish to be HERE is my question. All I've ever heard was the "Detroit fan growing up" stuff. I'm not saying I buy into an idea that he wants to secretly be in Detroit. I dont know. I would tend to think a long, lucrative contract would be the way to go for the kid. He may want short term and bust out of here afterward. The right offer for the right guy would still make me consider a trade...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How long does he wish to be HERE is my question. All I've ever heard was the "Detroit fan growing up" stuff. I'm not saying I buy into an idea that he wants to secretly be in Detroit. I dont know. I would tend to think a long, lucrative contract would be the way to go for the kid. He may want short term and bust out of here afterward. The right offer for the right guy would still make me consider a trade...

I think it’s less about wanting to play in Detroit than wanting to play with his childhood friend Larkin.

Wait...

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I thought choices on this poll were going to be something along the lines of:
- Today
- Within the month
- End of Summer
- During preseason
- After opening night

I think it’s a certainty that he will he signed relatively soon to a long term deal. Unless Jarmo is up to something and he is swapped for a very very good forward.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Fro

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
When he becomes a UFA, he'll probably look at the direction of our team and make a decision based on that. His brother lives with him and works at Honda plus his parents are at his apartment all the time. There was also a story from Portz about Zack and some of the Blue Jackets being frustrated with the CBJ marketing department. According to the story, he felt the CBJ should be doing a lot more to promote the team and players in the community and they would all be willing to help. So he seems to be content and wanting to make a go of it here inColumbus.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I changed my vote.

I don't think the FO will let this drag on. After last season's "are they going to sign or are they going to be traded" circus, it's really not an option.

I'm of the thinking that his trade value will never be higher than it is now. I'll guess he's not wearing the CBJ sweater come opening night.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
IMO Werenski is the type of player you take a chance on and sign long term. It will set precedent for Jones next contract (hopefully longterm as well) and will probably be less than what Jones will be asking if they sign Werenski to a 4 or 5 year deal...Jones is already a #1 D (great in all situations) and having Werenski paired/watching him; is the best possible situation for him to take that next step. It might not be next year, or the year after that, but if it is going to happen; it has the best chance happening here.

I would go 8x8 and sign Jones 10x8
18m for a top pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->