Confirmed with Link: When Will Werenski Sign (UPDATE: 9 September 2019, apparently - $15m/3yr)

When will Werenski sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I changed my vote.

I don't think the FO will let this drag on. After last season's "are they going to sign or are they going to be traded" circus, it's really not an option.

I'm of the thinking that his trade value will never be higher than it is now. I'll guess he's not wearing the CBJ sweater come opening night.

If it comes to that I might very well give up on the Jackets. Short of trading him for Marner or a like caliber player there is no way that he should be traded. jarmo needs to recognize the changing times re: RFA's and get with the program.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Man, I really like Z but he can frustrate the hell out of me sometimes....like that play in game 1 against Boston when he let up because he thought the play was offside and let his man go to the net for an easy OT winner.
That being said, you can't deny his chemistry with Jones, so I think he'll want to stay. But for how much and when....no clue.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If it comes to that I might very well give up on the Jackets. Short of trading him for Marner or a like caliber player there is no way that he should be traded. jarmo needs to recognize the changing times re: RFA's and get with the program.

Jarmo's record with RFAs-with the exception of Jones-is putrid. Here's his list of follies:

1) Johansen. It took a special brand of stupid and stubborn not to sign him to 6 years @ $6 million.

2) Atkinson: He got a little lucky here. Atkinson should have been long termed on his previous deal to his current one. Still, Jarmo's intuition and strategy was wrong concerning Cam.

3) Anderson. The lack of vision and pigheadedness on this deal is going to cost the team a bundle. Anderson should be in year 3 of a 6 year deal.

4) Bobrovsky. Why he was on 2 and 4 year deals after Vezina #1 should befuddle everyone. He should be in year 5 of a 6 year deal this coming season.

5) Werenski. This deal should have been done last season. Yeah, it would have been at a bit of a premium, but would have been a bargain compared to what he is going to have to pay a one way defenseman.

If Zito is such a managerial talent, he should be able to turn Jarmo on this RFA stuff. If he can't, he ought to head out of dodge at the first available opportunity because a team with Jarmo's RFA strategy cannot win in the NHL anymore. If he thinks Jarmo's approach to RFAs is sound, then he isn't the talented AGM he's made out to be.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Man, I really like Z but he can frustrate the hell out of me sometimes....like that play in game 1 against Boston when he let up because he thought the play was offside and let his man go to the net for an easy OT winner.
That being said, you can't deny his chemistry with Jones, so I think he'll want to stay. But for how much and when....no clue.

Every single Blue Jacket lets up when they gain the zone. All of them. Granted, Z still gets beat even when he gets back on his horse, but I don't really blame him for this.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Going to give Jarmo a bit of slack here. I was thinking that we are now in that "everybody is waiting for Trouba(?) to sign before offers are accepted" mode. Not that Zach is as experienced but you get the idea. McAvoy and Carlo from Boston probably waiting too. Provorov & DeAngelo among others.

Now Jarmo could be a trend setter but I do't see that happening. C'mon Jarmo, lock him up for 8 years at $7 mill. Set the market. Zach is clearly the best offensive D man of all the 3 year guys and he actually could be the guy causing the logjam.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The mind set of the upcoming generation has changed in terms of length. Matthews set the tone for multiple contracts, betting on themselves with shorter 5 year contracts. If we're determined to only go long term, then we may run into a situation like Marner. I'm leaning towards Marner 2.0

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
When he becomes a UFA, he'll probably look at the direction of our team and make a decision based on that. His brother lives with him and works at Honda plus his parents are at his apartment all the time. There was also a story from Portz about Zack and some of the Blue Jackets being frustrated with the CBJ marketing department. According to the story, he felt the CBJ should be doing a lot more to promote the team and players in the community and they would all be willing to help. So he seems to be content and wanting to make a go of it here inColumbus.
Management won’t let it get to that point . He would be traded prior to that .

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's a tough market to figure the value of RFA.
Normally I don't trust Jarmo on these deals but I'm guessing with all the defections he will have to get it done.

Young dmen are weird. Murray was great his first year and badly regressed (along with injuries) and now he appears like he's getting better again. Z was even better his first year and regressed his second year.

But I think with all the defections (as well as our cap space) that we will sign him, unless he doesn't want to be here, and n that case they will have to trade him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Personally, I'm not going to worry unless/until we get to September without him signed. Got enough stress in life right now.

Reactions: Ice9

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Young dmen are weird. Murray was great his first year and badly regressed (along with injuries) and now he appears like he's getting better again. Z was even better his first year and regressed his second year.

Its not just defenseman, and NEITHER guy has "regressed" as a hockey player since their rookie NHL seasons.

The people who say that just simply look at the "results" or the "numbers", mainly OFFENSIVE numbers. The truth is NO hockey player/NHL player gets worse as a player at 19-20-21 years old, the things that DO change are the fans perception/"hype" of the player, along with MANY-MANY situational things involving the team personnel and the on-ice usage and deployment of each individual player. Injuries and quite a bit different off ice/preparation "issues" are 2 legit issues that can affect a player negatively. Ex: BC Summer ER visit.

However, a player going from easier ice time his 1st year or so, and then not being able to adapt as quickly as others can to more or tougher ice time, should not be seen as "regressing", as in Werenski's case.

And to add to this, and to add to more of my HATE for the decimals, just how much of the game of hockey (and Werenski's wrist shots from the point through 8 bodies) is "a game of inches"?! Where do all the instances of "luck" or "chance" fit into the "numbers"/"analytics" and the concept of "regression"? Serious questions.

Murray-Jones is a superior #1 pairing, and will be going forward.

I believe we see Werenski moved this summer and the initial reaction will be very similar to the Jones trade along with the results moving forward.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo's record with RFAs-with the exception of Jones-is putrid. Here's his list of follies:

1) Johansen. It took a special brand of stupid and stubborn not to sign him to 6 years @ $6 million.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Johansen turn down that offer (to the extent that it was an offer that was actually made)? Wasn't he pushing for Kane/Toews comps?

Upon researching, I guess the publicly stated offer was 6x5.33. So pretty darn close. Jarmo learned his lesson, offered Wennberg 6x6 coming off a career year, and we see how that's turning out lol.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Johansen turn down that offer (to the extent that it was an offer that was actually made)? Wasn't he pushing for Kane/Toews comps?

Upon researching, I guess the publicly stated offer was 6x5.33. So pretty darn close. Jarmo learned his lesson, offered Wennberg 6x6 coming off a career year, and we see how that's turning out lol.

I wouldn't have been able to recall the specifics of Johansen's deal. Thanks for the info.

Jarmo's a day late and a dollar short with RFAs. His record is so bad with them-I doubt any GM who has been around as long as he has been has been so inept with RFAs. His only competition among all GMs is Dubas and he has youthful arrogance and inexperience as excuses.

The model for RFAs that any decent GM should have copied is Poile's in Nashville. It's been in place for years. Werenski shouldn't even be a discussion now. He should have been signed mid season last year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When he and his agent get a deal they can accept. Honestly, I don't expect this to go on too long. This will probably be a discussion about term. They might be going for bonus money. It takes time, not too worried about it.

I tend to think both sides want to go longish term. I haven't seen much that gives me pause with Werenski.

Reactions: Viqsi

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Jarmo's a day late and a dollar short with RFAs. His record is so bad with them-I doubt any GM who has been around as long as he has been has been so inept with RFAs. His only competition among all GMs is Dubas and he has youthful arrogance and inexperience as excuses.

The model for RFAs that any decent GM should have copied is Poile's in Nashville. It's been in place for years. Werenski shouldn't even be a discussion now. He should have been signed mid season last year.

Yeah... Umm.. Heavy on accusation and low on substance. For the latter, I'm not sure that's true. One thing is pretty sure about RFA's, there is usually little reason to sign mid-season. As for the former, we've had some issue with RFA's and I've had issues with some of his decisions, but I'd hardly put him in the bottom half of the league. Seems like some back seat gm'ing more than anything. I'll wait until after the contract is done before placing any judgement we should have more information then.

Reactions: Viqsi

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Are you ignoring Jarmo's well documented problems with signing top RFAs-Jones aside (thank you David Poile)

So when do you think he'll sign?

First question, I really haven't see anything unusual in that regard. Every year it seems some team has issues signing someone. Doesn't seem much worse than anyone else.

Second question, who cares? As long as he's in by camp, I don't care when the deal gets done.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah... Umm.. Heavy on accusation and low on substance. For the latter, I'm not sure that's true. One thing is pretty sure about RFA's, there is usually little reason to sign mid-season. As for the former, we've had some issue with RFA's and I've had issues with some of his decisions, but I'd hardly put him in the bottom half of the league. Seems like some back seat gm'ing more than anything. I'll wait until after the contract is done before placing any judgement we should have more information then.
Read some of my previous posts on the matter. Here. I got one for ya. Hope it has enough "substance" for ya. It was about 4 posts before your post. Sorry it was buried and you couldn't read it.:laugh:

2) Atkinson: He got a little lucky here. Atkinson should have been long termed on his previous deal to his current one. Still, Jarmo's intuition and strategy was wrong concerning Cam.

3) Anderson. The lack of vision and pigheadedness on this deal is going to cost the team a bundle. Anderson should be in year 3 of a 6 year deal.

4) Bobrovsky. Why he was on 2 and 4 year deals after Vezina #1 should befuddle everyone. He should be in year 5 of a 6 year deal this coming season.

5) Werenski. This deal should have been done last season. Yeah, it would have been at a bit of a premium, but would have been a bargain compared to what he is going to have to pay a one way defenseman.

If Zito is such a managerial talent, he should be able to turn Jarmo on this RFA stuff. If he can't, he ought to head out of dodge at the first available opportunity because a team with Jarmo's RFA strategy cannot win in the NHL anymore. If he thinks Jarmo's approach to RFAs is sound, then he isn't the talented AGM he's made out to be.

Later.​

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Read some of my previous posts on the matter. Here. I got one for ya. Hope it has enough "substance" for ya. It was about 4 posts before your post. Sorry it was buried and you couldn't read it.:laugh:

If Zito is such a managerial talent, he should be able to turn Jarmo on this RFA stuff. If he can't, he ought to head out of dodge at the first available opportunity because a team with Jarmo's RFA strategy cannot win in the NHL anymore. If he thinks Jarmo's approach to RFAs is sound, then he isn't the talented AGM he's made out to be.​

You make a lot off assumptions and accusations. I can say that we should never have signed Bob for what we did and would stand by the decision today. There is nothing of analysis in your post, just a bunch of judgments after the fact. Some I might agree with, others I think you just don't like JK so you're just throwing crap at the wall.

I had no issues with most of the deals you've listed. I don't see anything to suggest Werenski should have been done last year. I was fine with Atkinson and Anderson.

Whatever.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You make a lot off assumptions and accusations. I can say that we should never have signed Bob for what we did and would stand by the decision today. There is nothing of analysis in your post, just a bunch of judgments after the fact. Some I might agree with, others I think you just don't like JK so you're just throwing crap at the wall.

I had no issues with most of the deals you've listed. I don't see anything to suggest Werenski should have been done last year. I was fine with Atkinson and Anderson.

Whatever.

Not signing Bob for what we did? He carried this team to the playoffs on multiple occasions. gotcha. He should be in year 5 of a 6 year deal. Unless Elvis is the second coming, this fan base will be long for Bob come Thanksgiving.

Anderson was a no brain long term/low $ deal. You couldn't see that? Oh, well.

Atkinson was a goal scoring machine with wheels and youth. Not going to sign a player like that to a low money long term contract if you had a chance? Simply visionary.

smh. This convesation is boring me to tears. Later.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
History and retrospective analysis seem to support CR. I can't remember when Jarmo locked any player up before he had to and even when he eventually did he seems to have gone for too short of a term. Given the fiasco with B&B, to not have extended Zach during the season just seems like bad judgement. And this coming year he has Andy & PLD to deal with. I'd like to see both of them with solid 7 or 8 year deals before the end of the season

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What if they don't want to sign early? What if they don't want long term deals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad