Confirmed with Link: When Will Werenski Sign (UPDATE: 9 September 2019, apparently - $15m/3yr)

When will Werenski sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yup. Players are likely to go after the Olympics too. But we'll see how that ends.
I think that the league will gladly cede to the players on the Olympics. The average age of an NHL fan is pretty old and the Olympics is a free marketing opportunity to broaden the sport's appeal. The 3 week interruption to the season is a pain, but other than that it's a win-win proposition. The players want it and the league only serves to benefit from it.

The league may have taken the Olympics away just for the opportunity to use it as a bargaining chip in these negotiations.

I'm highly optimistic that there won't be a work stoppage/lockout relating to this upcoming CBA.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that the league will gladly cede to the players on the Olympics. The average age of an NHL fan is pretty old and the Olympics is a free marketing opportunity to broaden the sport's appeal. The 3 week interruption to the season is a pain, but other than that it's a win-win proposition. The players want it and the league only serves to benefit from it.
I understand that the traditional objection is that it's an opportunity for players to get injured (and thus unavailable to the League) that doesn't earn the league or any team owners a single red cent. I want to believe that it's an easy cession regardless, though, for the reasons you've mentioned.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given that the next Olympics is in Beijing I think they'll obviously want to go. I'd say the same for Milan in 2026, but the NHL will probably keep pushing the IIHF to get a slice of the profits, and you can guess how that will go.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Given that the next Olympics is in Beijing I think they'll obviously want to go. I'd say the same for Milan in 2026, but the NHL will probably keep pushing the IIHF to get a slice of the profits, and you can guess how that will go.

Did they ever resolve the insurance situation with the IIHF?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think an Olympics temporary out clause needs to be part of player contracts just like NTC/MMC.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Werenski (or his agent) is a genius. Ivan Provorov will be kicking himself for years to come.

I just read Michael Arace's opinion piece in today's Columbus Dispatch {Ohio's Greatest Home Newspaper}. It is the first time I have seen speculation about what the US television rights package might bring. Arace cites the current NBC package as 10 years for $2 billion. He speculates the next package will be 10 years for $15 billion. Given the way streaming is available as opposed to 10 years ago, it is not hard to assume a huge increase.

So let's say hockey related revenue doubles. Given that we now have a guarantee of labor peace until after that deal goes into effect, the new TV contract should just about double the salary cap. What is now $81.5 million suddenly becomes $163 million.

Zack Werenski will have an opportunity to begin a new contract in October 2022. All things being equal, his $7 million contract now becomes a $14 million contract.
Ivan Provorov will play for 3 more years after Zack signs for a cool $6.75 million. Plus he has given up two years of his UFA rights.

Zack Werenski is a genius.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Werenski (or his agent) is a genius. Ivan Provorov will be kicking himself for years to come.

I just read Michael Arace's opinion piece in today's Columbus Dispatch {Ohio's Greatest Home Newspaper}. It is the first time I have seen speculation about what the US television rights package might bring. Arace cites the current NBC package as 10 years for $2 billion. He speculates the next package will be 10 years for $15 billion. Given the way streaming is available as opposed to 10 years ago, it is not hard to assume a huge increase.

So let's say hockey related revenue doubles. Given that we now have a guarantee of labor peace until after that deal goes into effect, the new TV contract should just about double the salary cap. What is now $81.5 million suddenly becomes $163 million.

Zack Werenski will have an opportunity to begin a new contract in October 2022. All things being equal, his $7 million contract now becomes a $14 million contract.
Ivan Provorov will play for 3 more years after Zack signs for a cool $6.75 million. Plus he has given up two years of his UFA rights.

Even if the $15B part is accurate (I have no idea and I wouldn't take it from Arace), that's about $50m per team per year. If hockey related revenue is like an average of $164m per team, then it would be a roughly 30% increase. That makes $7m per into $9m per.

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I wouldn't say he's a genius, he just believes in himself. Some players want the security of a long term deal right away. Others are willing to take a gamble on themselves and sign a long term deal as they enter their prime for a much larger amount.

If Zach were to suffer a career ending injury before his next contract or if his play were to fall of a cliff he'd be the one kicking himself for not signing long term.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Many people questioned ZW (and Wennberg) heart and commitment to the NHL. Recently he has seemed rather lazy and played with zero urgency. Do others see this?

here are some old gems regarding ZW (&AW)

Absurd because you don’t agree with it? Or what?
I think Wennberg, Murray, and to an extent Werenski all lack heart.
No the guy you all praise as ELITE but continually plays lazy D and never gives 100 percent of his full effort. Watch him turn the puck over and he will NEVER backcheck to try and save a goal. If we are going to label him as a future star then he needs to be held to a much higher standard. He can give much more than what he does.
It frustrates me that you would all crucify Johansen but Z gets a free pass.
Absurd because you don’t agree with it? Or what?
I think Wennberg, Murray, and to an extent Werenski all lack heart.
You may be under that opinion , but it’s far from absurd . Heart is gutting it out when your not 100 percent , for your team. It’s doing things that may be uncomfortable , but by you doing those things it makes the team better , like going into contested areas and trying to score , or shooting the puck for that matter . I watch Wennberg game after game , skate around like he has no cares in the world , refuses to shoot the puck , even though he’s been called out in the media , multiple times by his coach . After he’s embarrassed , and dominated by Wild Bill in Vegas , I watch him poke fun with Wild Bill on instagram.So you may be under the opinion , my observations are absurd , but you know the saying , if the shoe fits ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad