When will Petan sign and what role will he play?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard to say what is holding this up. Cap Friendly already has it up, but as unconfirmed. Maybe Petan's camp is working on the 2-way end of the deal. Seems to me this lands right on Petan's qualifying offer. It does seem like Chevy is squeezing down all the fringe of the lineup contracts to free up enough space to get Morrisey long term under the cap.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hard to say what is holding this up. Cap Friendly already has it up, but as unconfirmed. Maybe Petan's camp is working on the 2-way end of the deal. Seems to me this lands right on Petan's qualifying offer. It does seem like Chevy is squeezing down all the fringe of the lineup contracts to free up enough space to get Morrisey long term under the cap.

100k doesn't really impact Morrissey on a long term deal. They still have enough to ink him for 5 to 5.5 million depending on how much of an injury cushion they want to leave.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
100k doesn't really impact Morrissey on a long term deal. They still have enough to ink him for 5 to 5.5 million depending on how much of an injury cushion they want to leave.
I'm thinking Poolman starts with the Moose, as it would be very unusual to go 13 F and 8 D. This means they would need to add 1 forward. I'm thinking Vaselainen is pushing for an NHL job to come over and a decent amount of performance bonus money. Split the difference between Connor and Rosie you are looking at $400,000 - $500,000 in performance bonuses. Now every penny counts to get a Morrissey deal done.

Reactions: Mathil8

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
That doesn't mean he'll be placed on waivers, let alone clear them.
Why not give Dano a two way also he won't clear either. Who gets 2 ways other then players that might get sent down.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think if last year's winning lineup is maintained, the expectation would be for Petan to step into centring Perreault/Roslovic.

He's the front runner for a C spot.

However if Veselainen or Lemieux break through, Copp could slide to centre, with Petan fighting with players like Lipon for a press box seat.

He won't go through waivers guarantee Travis Green would want him in Vancouver. So it's either make or break.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds good for a prove-yourself contract. I hope he gets chances to play in the top-9, no use having him in the press box.
Someone has to sit in the pressbox. Best for the Jets if that person is making $874,125 over someone like Mathias' $2 M. Once your ELC is played through you are either a roster player or PB depth or an AHL player.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think if last year's winning lineup is maintained, the expectation would be for Petan to step into centring Perreault/Roslovic.

He's the front runner for a C spot.

However if Veselainen or Lemieux break through, Copp could slide to centre, with Petan fighting with players like Lipon for a press box seat.

He won't go through waivers guarantee Travis Green would want him in Vancouver. So it's either make or break.

I'm expecting Roslovic to be the C, and see Petan/Dano tried out on 3RW with Frenchy on the left.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Connor Roslo ??

Laine Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Ehlers

Copp Lowry Tanev

Thats optimal. Theres a wing spot open for either Petan Dano Appleton Vesa.. Whoever takes it .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Connor Roslo ??

Laine Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Little Ehlers

Copp Lowry Tanev

Thats optimal. Theres a wing spot open for either Petan Dano Appleton Vesa.. Whoever takes it .
I just don't know why you take Connie off that top line - they are dynamite together. I don't think Laine's playing style fits with those two at all unless he can get a lot more forceful along the boards. I see the cycle breaking up a lot with him there.

Laine should be with teammates who score off the rush. That way he can use his shot more when he's moving, which I think is especially hard for goalies to track.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I just don't know why you take Connie off that top line - they are dynamite together. I don't think Laine's playing style fits with those two at all unless he can get a lot more forceful along the boards. I see the cycle breaking up a lot with him there.

Laine should be with teammates who score off the rush. That way he can use his shot more when he's moving, which I think is especially hard for goalies to track.

Schiefele and Laine is the best combo Jets can put together.

I go Connor Little Wheeler as the other 1st line.

Perrault roslo petan?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Schiefele and Laine is the best combo Jets can put together.

I go Connor Little Wheeler as the other 1st line.

Perrault roslo petan?

Might work - Connor Little Wheeler could be good because Wheeler has shown chemistry with both of those players - but I still think Scheifele and Wheeler are just cycle beasts and play off each other so well.

Whatever they do, Laine has to find a way to rediscover his rush game. He doesn't cycle well, so he needs to start driving plays on the rush the way he did in his first year.

For Perreault, Roslovic and Petan, who plays C? I know that Mattchu is a C but I thought he didn't want to play C anymore (could have been due to injury.).

I know that some were talking about giving him an extended audition on a top 6 line which would finally give us an answer on his ability to fit in with our team. I think that would be ideal if it worked as Vesalainen could play a year with the Moose, and it would make our other 2 top nine lines stronger.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Whatever they do, Laine has to find a way to rediscover his rush game. He doesn't cycle well, so he needs to start driving plays on the rush the way he did in his first year.

My suspicion is that Maurice has coached this out of him for being defensively risky. If the puck gets turned over and comes back our way, Laine doesn't yet have the skating chops needed to break off and quickly get back into the play. He looks to me like a young man playing a conservative, defensively responsible game that fits with his current abilities, and we will see a more aggressive game return as his skating explosiveness develops.

Reactions: ffh and LowLefty

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My suspicion is that Maurice has coached this out of him for being defensively risky. If the puck gets turned over and comes back our way, Laine doesn't yet have the skating chops needed to break off and quickly get back into the play. He looks to me like a young man playing a conservative, defensively responsible game that fits with his current abilities, and we will see a more aggressive game return as his skating explosiveness develops.

I honestly hope this is the case because I know some players are never quite the same after hits like the one Patty took, and it also would show a pro with buy in to play for the team instead of himself which would be incredibly mature for someone his age.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I hope he finally gets his chance. He’s made some changes to his game and I think that will help him finally make an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad