When will Petan sign and what role will he play?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan has a role on this team if he seizes it. It could be making this team out of camp, injury replacement or replacing an underperforming player. Internal competition is great. We need players like this.
I think Petan might well have a future. Perreault will likely be moved and Tanev is on the edge of the roster.

I could see a future like...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Vesalainen-Roslovic-Ehlers
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I would try to sign Petan on a Poolman-like contract. Dump Perreault and have Nic step into his spot at less than a 1/4 of the cost.

Reactions: GNP and blues10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sign him to a 1 year - $700,000-$800,000 contract.

IMO Petan will have to make his way into a roster spot this year. If it doesn't happen, then he should ask to be traded, as it appears there just isn't a fit for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Look at the cap space. With Petan it will be very, very tight to get Morrissey on a long-term deal. Freeing up one million would likely be enough though.

1. Petan doesn't make a mil and 2. If he is gone he has to be replaced. If he makes 800k and is replaced by a guy making 750k you have saved 50k. That is less than chicken feed. Never mind that the replacement for Petan might make as much or more.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I just don't think they see a spot for him. I think hes been passed on the depth chart. I also think he easily clears waivers so maybe moose.
I doubt he ever enters waivers. In the event he ever did I would doubt that he would clear hav you seen the forward depth on some teams in the NHL. I will agree to dis agree on this one. This isn’t James Wright, Mittens, Ben Maxwell, Brett Maclean etc.. oh ya , all those guys were claimed on waivers.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
1. Petan doesn't make a mil and 2. If he is gone he has to be replaced. If he makes 800k and is replaced by a guy making 750k you have saved 50k. That is less than chicken feed. Never mind that the replacement for Petan might make as much or more.

He also knows the system very well. Some guys take longer to develop a pro game. He has lots of tools. Let’s see if he is ready to use them at the NHL level.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would try to sign Petan on a Poolman-like contract. Dump Perreault and have Nic step into his spot at less than a 1/4 of the cost.
Perreault is sweating a lot of things this year but not this.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Petan is going to be needed by the Jets with that low salary.

He will break through.

He will be middle 6 staple for the Jets.

He will be on the 2nd pp unit right half wall.

He will raise the cup with the Jets :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Think he signs for $800,000. Starts the season in the PB unless we get a few injuries out of camp. He will get a few opportunities here and there and it will be up to him to take advantage. There are no longer plugs in the forward group so the excuse of needing better players to perform well is gone. And no Tanev is not a plug, he is actually a pretty effective player in many ways. If he plays with more speed he has a shot of carving out a secondary scoring role on the 3rd line and maybe make MP expendable next season when we are really starting to feel the cap crunch. A signed Vaselainen may quickly end his hopes however.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I hope they give him time in the top-9 - if that happens I expect him to play well, but if he doesn't we can move on at that point. Same goes for Dano. We have at least one winger spot available, plus potential injuries.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
We have $10 million in cap space right now, here's how I break it down:

$6 million to Morrissey AAV on an 8 year deal
$3.5 million for ELC bonuses

That only leaves $500,000 for a trade deadline acquisition, and nothing for Petan.
  • We have 10.239 million. If Petan gets $800,000 that leaves $9.43 million. While the Jets have $3.7 million in possible bonus money owed, not all bonus is met. Also you can exceed the salary cap by a certain percentage when it comes to bonus money. We can afford the $5.5- 6 million for Morrissey.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
We have $10 million in cap space right now, here's how I break it down:

$6 million to Morrissey AAV on an 8 year deal
$3.5 million for ELC bonuses

That only leaves $500,000 for a trade deadline acquisition, and nothing for Petan.

We're not using a 22 man roster.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Between 5.5 and 6 million on a long term 8 year deal. Before criticizing, you might want to look at our cap situation and do that math. Things are VERY tight when you factor in projected bonuses and especially if we want to have room to make a trade deadline acquisition.

Morrissey won't get $5.5 million & Petan won't get $1 million but I'll still play your game.

Counting bonus's the signings you suggest would indeed place the Jets over the cap by $26,670.

But the salary cap cushion allows teams to go over the cap by 7.5% with regards to bonus'

$26,670 represents a third of 1% of the cap, 0.34% to be precise.

I did the math as you requested. What are you worried about again?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Chevy is going to give 2 players who haven't made the team out of camp in the careers 2 roster spots. Possibly even a spot on the 3rd line. Back to missing the playoffs since this team is accident prone and they will get in to more games then they should. What happened to fighting for spots on team

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think Petan might well have a future. Perreault will likely be moved and Tanev is on the edge of the roster.

I could see a future like...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Vesalainen-Roslovic-Ehlers
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Damn that looks sad with wheeler on the 3rd
Hiw much is he getting psid to plsy on thee 3rd line?
Is this 2019 season or 2025? Lol

Reactions: Chr1s97

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Morrissey won't get $5.5 million & Petan won't get $1 million but I'll still play your game.

Counting bonus's the signings you suggest would indeed place the Jets over the cap by $26,670.

But the salary cap cushion allows teams to go over the cap by 7.5% with regards to bonus'

$26,670 represents a third of 1% of the cap, 0.34% to be precise.

I did the math as you requested. What are you worried about again?
And if you go over on bonuses, they count towards the following years cap. Do you foresee us being in a better cap situation next year? I sure don't. And where did you account for saving some money for a trade deadline acquisition?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
And if you go over on bonuses, they count towards the following years cap. Do you foresee us being in a better cap situation next year? I sure don't. And where did you account for saving some money for a trade deadline acquisition?

To reiterate, the numbers quoted put the Jets a measly $26,670 over the cap.

That would mean the following year the Jets would have $79,474,330.00 as opposed to $79,500,000.00.

If you think that's something to worry about (it's not) don't worry. Neither Morrissey or Petan will be signing at the amounts specified, so you can put $1.5 million towards that $26,670 overage putting the Jets at least $1,474,300.00 under the cap.

The answer to your trade deadline question was answered in my initial post & restated within this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad