When will Petan sign and what role will he play?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just curious on everyone's thought on the Nic Petan regarding his next contract and where on the team he will fit.

I have a question as well... Does he have to pass though waivers this upcoming season?
If he is not given a chance with a scoring line and perhaps some second unit power play time, then there's no role for him on this team.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think Chevy is working on a Petan trade to free up space to re-sign Morrissey to a massive 8 year extension.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind seeing him getting into the lineup. But Maurice is still coach so I cant see Petan playing at center. And we have better options at almost every wing spot than him.

Him and Dano will be full time press box guys. Lemieux will be the one who sneaks in to 4th line wing.

Any multiple top six injuries and I see Petan getting a lot of ice time though.

Reactions: GNP

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Look at the cap space. With Petan it will be very, very tight to get Morrissey on a long-term deal. Freeing up one million would likely be enough though.
If Petan is gone, you are left with 12 forwards. So someone has to be put on the roster. If Petan get's around $800,000 I doubt you save much. Now for signing that's another story as Petan's agent is Trouba's agent. So who knows how long.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What in the world do you think Morrissey will sign for? :huh:
Between 5.5 and 6 million on a long term 8 year deal. Before criticizing, you might want to look at our cap situation and do that math. Things are VERY tight when you factor in projected bonuses and especially if we want to have room to make a trade deadline acquisition.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Between 5.5 and 6 million on a long term 8 year deal. Before criticizing, you might want to look at our cap situation and do that math. Things are VERY tight when you factor in projected bonuses and especially if we want to have room to make a trade deadline acquisition.

So what do you expect Petan to get exactly?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
We have $10 million in cap space right now, here's how I break it down:

$6 million to Morrissey AAV on an 8 year deal
$3.5 million for ELC bonuses

That only leaves $500,000 for a trade deadline acquisition, and nothing for Petan.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Chevy is working on a Petan trade to free up space to re-sign Morrissey to a massive 8 year extension.

Makes no sense. You'd still need to replace him on roster. So assuming Petan signs for 800-850k you save AT MOST 200K if you sign a guy for league min. If you replacing him internally a lot of guys on elc have 800-925k cap hits so it might cost you more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There’s no players left that I think Petan would play poorly with, except Tanev. So I think he shows quite well this year.
I agree. I think he's been a bit forgotten, but he's a real talent. I expect him to show up quicker and stronger and be a very effective forward in just about any role.

A few years ago he was very effective with Copp and Armia, so he doesn't need to play with top offensive players to be effective.

Reactions: GNP

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Petan has a role on this team if he seizes it. It could be making this team out of camp, injury replacement or replacing an underperforming player. Internal competition is great. We need players like this.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad