When will Petan sign and what role will he play?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Petan is younger than Andreas Johnsson, who TO considers their second best prospect, who also went PPG in the AHL like Petan.

People really need to stop writing him off as done.

Yeah. I’ve never been a fan of Petan and have always thought he looked pretty bad when playing with the Jets. I was a bit shocked how much people were cheering him on and saying how good he is, when I just couldn’t see it. I didn’t think he should have a roster spot and he was always ultimately sent down.

This year may be very different. His AHL numbers are very impressive and I hope he forces Maurice’s hand by forcefully grabbing a spot. In that case he has truely earned it and I’d be more than willing to cheer him on. He may very well be a late bloomer, and I agree he’s definitely not done. He’s just getting started. Either with the Jets or some other team.

Reactions: Jet and GNP

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
To reiterate, the numbers quoted put the Jets a measly $26,670 over the cap.

That would mean the following year the Jets would have $79,474,330.00 as opposed to $79,500,000.00.

If you think that's something to worry about (it's not) don't worry. Neither Morrissey or Petan will be signing at the amounts specified, so you can put $1.5 million towards that $26,670 overage putting the Jets at least $1,474,300.00 under the cap.

The answer to your trade deadline question was answered in my initial post & restated within this one.

and that is under the assumption that all max bonuses are reached, which is unlikely.

I would be more concerned with a Vesalainen contract

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have always been super high on Petan, ever since his Portland days.

I don't think he got a fair shot here, so I am all for giving him a good long look this season.

Give him a proove it contract imo.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Perrault is sweating a lot of things this year but not this.

I think Perrault is a good solid 2 way player -- but he doesn't score a lot- is very injury prone, does nothing in the playoffs, and is getting older. I can only see Perrault being traded, and replaced by someone like Petan or even Lemieux or Appleton ?? ( plenty of guys to fill his spot)

Perrault's time here will now be "short lived" especially with the financial Cap pressures, the Jet's are now facing. Let's be realistic here--"someone" will have to go, and it won't be cheap talented young guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommigun

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I do see Petan making the Jet's this upcoming year--and Lemieux is the other one. I also see Perrault definitely being moved-- he has fulfilled his purpose here, and it's time to move on. Something has to give here, to live within the Cap structure as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not sure how it’s going to go for Nic this season. There will be injuries and he will get his ice time so is this the season it comes together or do we see more of the same. As of July 29th Tanev is the only guy that probably is a bad fit line wise for Nic so that is a positive.

I will keep my fingers crossed because Nic breaking out and having a goood season would be a big +1 for us.

I am on the fence but am hoping for the best and I am happy for the size bias fans that have a new little guy to kick around now that Toby is gone.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't see Petan on the Jets. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded with JT, but the departure of Armia, Hendricks, and Stasny might give him a sliver of a window to crack the lineup.

Thinking logically about the Jets forward ranks, Petan still doesn't make sense on this team. The role that he would ideally play is filled far better by other players. Guys like Roslovic quickly overtook him and if Vesalainen has a good camp??

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
A role that would likely be quickly taken away from him to make way for Kristian Vesalainen. Unless Perreault/Little is not on the Jets roster.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I think Perrault is a good solid 2 way player -- but he doesn't score a lot- is very injury prone, does nothing in the playoffs, and is getting older. I can only see Perrault being traded, and replaced by someone like Petan or even Lemieux or Appleton ?? ( plenty of guys to fill his spot)

Perrault's time here will now be "short lived" especially with the financial Cap pressures, the Jet's are now facing. Let's be realistic here--"someone" will have to go, and it won't be cheap talented young guys.
Perreault isn't old by any stretch and still has alot of hockey left in him but looks to be a salary cap victim in the not to distant future. But what gets me is we should give his spot to a player who as of yet has not even cracked the lineup to sit in the press box. 1st prove you belong then make the jets move Perreault. Why should the jets move Perreault and put in a player who has yet proven he is anything more then a ahl player. Worst thing chevy can do is give 2 players spots on the 23 man roster by default and it looks like that's what he is doing again this year like 2 years ago.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I am on the fence but am hoping for the best and I am happy for the size bias fans that have a new little guy to kick around now that Toby is gone.

Toby was a giant compared to Petan. Personally, I've moved on and will now focus my size bias kicking around on Skyler. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ps241

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Petan wont be on the Jets this year for more than a handful of games.
Hes never been impressive as Jet. He looked good in the A but not as a Jet.
I still think he gets traded.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I do not think he has been given a real look tbh.

All his NHL games put together, he avgs. 11.17 mins a game with his most common linemates being Armia, Hendricks, Copp, and Thorbs.

In his most recent 15 game stint, he avgs. 8.25 mins a game.

Not to mention, he only starts 42% in the offensive zone.

How is he supposed to work with that?

The few FO he takes, he usually wins aswell.

I personally am willing to give him a good look, I think he could become a solid top 9 guy.

He should not be hid away on the 4th line, which often, imo has a role that does not suit him.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Am I the only one that sees him on the third line with Perreault and Roslo? That line would dominate possession vs easier match ups too.

I like this-- but I do see Roslo moving up to 2nd line center sometime in the upcoming season. I think Roslo gets a minimum of 50 points, but likely around 60. I'm impressed with this guy-- he's underrated and will turn a lot of heads

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
and that is under the assumption that all max bonuses are reached, which is unlikely.

I would be more concerned with a Vesalainen contract

Most of the bonus money goes to Laine, 2.65 mil. The next biggest chunk is for Connor, .85 mil. Then Roslovic with the rest, .2125 mil. We were told that all bonuses were earned last year. Why would we expect those 3 players to not earn their bonus money this year? Rather than being "unlikely", I think it is the exact opposite. It is highly likely they will be earned.

Beyond that, do you think it would be good management to negotiate those bonuses into players contracts and then proceed on the risky assumption that they are not earned?

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perreault isn't old by any stretch and still has alot of hockey left in him but looks to be a salary cap victim in the not to distant future. But what gets me is we should give his spot to a player who as of yet has not even cracked the lineup to sit in the press box. 1st prove you belong then make the jets move Perreault. Why should the jets move Perreault and put in a player who has yet proven he is anything more then a ahl player. Worst thing chevy can do is give 2 players spots on the 23 man roster by default and it looks like that's what he is doing again this year like 2 years ago.

Nobody is being 'given' spots. Petan is not even signed yet.

I assume you are referring to him and Dano. As of this moment they are the 12th and 13 best and most proven forwards in the system. If Vesalainen, also not signed yet, or Appleton, or Spacek or any other player beats them out for a spot on the roster there is no reason to assume Petan or Dano won't be waived or traded to make room. If Petan, Dano and Appleton all earn spots then maybe Perreault is the one traded.

There is no reason to assume anyone is being 'given' anything they haven't earned.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Am I the only one that sees him on the third line with Perreault and Roslo? That line would dominate possession vs easier match ups too.
I can imagine that scenario as well.
I've always looked at Petan as a Kyle Wellwood type--but with more drive and discipline. Both were offensively prolific in Junior, both are undersized and underrated.
If they don't trade him, this season will be his big chance to break into the Jets lineup. If gets his opportunity on the top-9, some bounces and builds his confidence I could see him producing like prime-Wellwood. Lots of ifs, but none implausible.

Reactions: JetsUK

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I believe he asked for a trade so i believe they will try to do that. I don't think he has much value on his own but.. As an add on perhaps he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad