When will Petan sign and what role will he play?

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Why would you worried about a contract that:

1) doesn't exist
2) is going to slide when it's signed.

Until one of our 13 forwards is traded, there's simply no room for him on the roster.

1) I'm quite sure he will be signed
2) I doubt he is going to the CHL so it won't slide.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Most of the bonus money goes to Laine, 2.65 mil. The next biggest chunk is for Connor, .85 mil. Then Roslovic with the rest, .2125 mil. We were told that all bonuses were earned last year. Why would we expect those 3 players to not earn their bonus money this year? Rather than being "unlikely", I think it is the exact opposite. It is highly likely they will be earned.

Beyond that, do you think it would be good management to negotiate those bonuses into players contracts and then proceed on the risky assumption that they are not earned?

It takes one injury to make one of those bonuses not fillable. There are many reasons why they may not be reached. We are only talking about a very small number

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It takes one injury to make one of those bonuses not fillable. There are many reasons why they may not be reached. We are only talking about a very small number

So .... do you think it is good management to proceed on the assumption that some of those bonuses won't be earned?

I'm not worried about going over 20-30k, but where are you drawing the line? Should we assume Laine's bonuses won't be earned and spend an extra 2.5 mil? That would be crippling in the next year.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
So .... do you think it is good management to proceed on the assumption that some of those bonuses won't be earned?

I'm not worried about going over 20-30k, but where are you drawing the line? Should we assume Laine's bonuses won't be earned and spend an extra 2.5 mil? That would be crippling in the next year.

I'd draw the line at 100-200K. That amount isn't going to cripple us if they are all reached

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd draw the line at 100-200K. That amount isn't going to cripple us if they are all reached

OK, fair enough. But we are going to be so seriously cap strapped next year that it might force us to trade a good player. Going over in bonus this year can be carried over. Next year it is actual salary cap and there is no option to go over. You simply have to meet the cap. The bonus overage comes off the top.

Well, actually I'm not sure what the consequences are. It never comes up so I assume it must be pretty severe.

So everybody earns their bonuses putting us 100k over. What do you do?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

1) There's no doubt he will be signed. Where he plays next year was the original question. I doubt he starts in Winnipeg unless he blows Mo away at camp. Even then, Connor & particularly Roslovic blew Mo away last year, yet both started in the AHL. Losing solid depth players to waivers trumps a waiver exempt rookie from making the roster 9 Times out of 10.

2) Contracts can slide in the AHL

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
OK, fair enough. But we are going to be so seriously cap strapped next year that it might force us to trade a good player. Going over in bonus this year can be carried over. Next year it is actual salary cap and there is no option to go over. You simply have to meet the cap. The bonus overage comes off the top.

Well, actually I'm not sure what the consequences are. It never comes up so I assume it must be pretty severe.

So everybody earns their bonuses putting us 100k over. What do you do?

100K is not going to be the difference. It's less than 1/6 of the min salary. No way we will be that close to the cap.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
1) There's no doubt he will be signed. Where he plays next year was the original question. I doubt he starts in Winnipeg unless he blows Mo away at camp. Even then, Connor & particularly Roslovic blew Mo away last year, yet both started in the AHL. Losing solid depth players to waivers trumps a waiver exempt rookie from making the roster 9 Times out of 10.

When was the last time we lost someone to waivers? A few years ago it wouldn't matter cause we didn't have a lot of depth anyways.
I can't see the Jets putting Petan on waivers. Either he plays this year on the 23 man roster or he gets traded.
I actually think Petan can have some success this year. He just needs the opportunity and some confidence.

Reactions: Tommigun

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Petan needs waivers this year. I doubt he clears, even on cut down day.

Reactions: The Big M

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
100K is not going to be the difference. It's less than 1/6 of the min salary. No way we will be that close to the cap.

Wait a minute, pick a side. Didn't this start by you making the point that we can get closer to the cap this year because we don't need to worry about all the bonuses being earned? If they are earned the bonus overage carries over to the following year. In 2019/2020, yes we are going to be that close to the cap. That's when Wheeler, Laine and Connor get their next contracts.

What does being some fraction of the min salary have to do with anything? You can't go over the cap and you can't carry that overage for another year. It has to be dealt with one way or another. What are you going to do?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When was the last time we lost someone to waivers? A few years ago it wouldn't matter cause we didn't have a lot of depth anyways.
I can't see the Jets putting Petan on waivers. Either he plays this year on the 23 man roster or he gets traded.
I actually think Petan can have some success this year. He just needs the opportunity and some confidence.

Petan needs waivers this year. I doubt he clears, even on cut down day.

I'm not referring to Petan. I was referring & responding to kcin94 posts regarding K-Ves.

Hard for you to know that tho since I used a pronoun in my responses

I'm in agreement with you. Petan makes the Jets & would never clear waivers. The result of Petan & Dano being the 12th & 13th forwards have Vesalainen on the outside looking in...once he signs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Wait a minute, pick a side. Didn't this start by you making the point that we can get closer to the cap this year because we don't need to worry about all the bonuses being earned? If they are earned the bonus overage carries over to the following year. In 2019/2020, yes we are going to be that close to the cap. That's when Wheeler, Laine and Connor get their next contracts.

What does being some fraction of the min salary have to do with anything? You can't go over the cap and you can't carry that overage for another year. It has to be dealt with one way or another. What are you going to do?
And Copp will probably want more as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I'm not referring to Petan. I was referring & responding to kcin94 posts regarding K-Ves.

I'm in agreement with you. Petan makes the Jets & would never clear waivers. The result of Petan & Dano being the 12th & 13th forwards have Vesalainen on the outside looking in...once he signs.
Oh I see...I guess it's up to Vesalainen to come in earn a spot on the roster. If he does great. We would have to move someone.
I don't think it would be a bad idea for Vesalainen to play in the AHL for one year if he doesn't win a spot on the roster.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
A) when ink touches paper

B) he will play the role of Nic Petan.

Ok so it's not really funny. Been a long day.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Pretty sure you agree with everything I said & disagree with everything he said...

To reiterate, the numbers quoted put the Jets a measly $26,670 over the cap.

That would mean the following year the Jets would have $79,474,330.00 as opposed to $79,500,000.00.

If you think that's something to worry about (it's not) don't worry. Neither Morrissey or Petan will be signing at the amounts specified, so you can put $1.5 million towards that $26,670 overage putting the Jets at least $1,474,300.00 under the cap.

The answer to your trade deadline question was answered in my initial post & restated within this one.

and that is under the assumption that all max bonuses are reached, which is unlikely.
I would be more concerned with a Vesalainen contract

It's actually highly likely all bonus' are reached or at least come very close.
Didn't everyone max out last year?

Why would you worry about a contract that:
1) doesn't exist
2) is going to slide when it's signed.

Until one of our 13 forwards is traded, there's simply no room for him on the roster.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
I hope Petan plays the system. 800k? Really? There isn't enough depth here.

1.2 mil 1 year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Surprised it was a two way but it won't really matter as he will be on an NHL roster one way or another.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm wondering why it's a two-way deal. Isn't it a given that he would be claimed if he had to clear waivers? Or are they planning on starting and keeping him with the Moose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad