When to extend Byfield?

• During season

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • After season

Votes: 46 71.9%

• Total voters

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
First, I'm not on "another team's board", I'm a Kings fan first even though I post, by far, more on the Leafs forum as it's my hometown team.

Second, I wasn't "crapping" on Byfield. It wasn't personal. I didn't like the pick when they made it (over Stutzle) and up until a couple of days ago not a single person could argue I was wrong. And even then:

Stutzle: 202 pts in 231 games, incl. 90 pts last year
Byfield: 52 pts in 122 games.

So not, the argument over who was the better pick is a long way from being settled but it's still heavily titled towards Ottawa.

Lastly, you ask if someone can imagine being a clown like me? Sitting on my post for years just so you could post this childish response is pretty f**king clownish itself.

Btw, as a Kings fan I'll be ecstatic if/when I'm proven wrong and Byfield truly hits the potential Blake saw in him (that I clearly didn't) on draft day. In the end, I can take the hit and cheap shots by clowns like you if it means another Cup banner hangs in the Staples Center rafters.

Have a nice day!
I was trying to give you a chance until you said "but it's still heavily tilted towards Ottawa". That is just not the case any more. They are both fantastic picks, but the reality is that Byfield has closed the gap significantly on Stutzle and most would argue QB has a higher ceiling because of his physical gifts. It's not often you see a player at 6'5" be able to do what he can. If he figures out a reliable slap/wrist shot then he could become quite dominant.

Up to this point in the season they are pretty close (see below) and Byfield is only averaging 15:05 of ice time while Stutzle is at 22:11.

Stutzle: 21GP - 5G 20A (+9) - 25 PTS
Byfield: 23GP - 8G 13A (+14) - 21 PTS

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was trying to give you a chance until you said "but it's still heavily tilted towards Ottawa". That is just not the case any more. They are both fantastic picks, but the reality is that Byfield has closed the gap significantly on Stutzle and most would argue QB has a higher ceiling because of his physical gifts. It's not often you see a player at 6'5" be able to do what he can. If he figures out a reliable slap/wrist shot then he could become quite dominant.

Up to this point in the season they are pretty close (see below) and Byfield is only averaging 15:05 of ice time while Stutzle is at 22:11.

I can see leaning on Stutzle's track record as of this point, but this season, they're performing basically as advertised by their draft stock. At this point, ignoring the past, it's just all conjecture about trajectory.

But i'll be god damned if it doesn't feel good if all the shit we had to eat as Byfield supporters/Kings fans isn't blowing up in a lot of people's faces, watching people cling to the very last possible critiques of QBs game in their hatred just shows how desperately miserable some people want to be.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The way Byfield is playing right now I don't even want him to even think about where to be if the play goes the other way. Just let Kopitar do that for the time being and cut him loose on the forecheck as a winger. There is plenty of time for him to take over that responsibility if necessary, but for now, just let him menace other teams on the boards and give defensemen worse PTSD than Thornton after game 7.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Its going to be interesting to see what QB's contract will be assuming he continues at this pace.. Stutzle got 8+mil x 8 years... after 90 pts in 78 games in 3rd pro season and solid 2 seasons before that. QB ELC slid one year he only played 6 games in 20-21.. and has weak numbers in his seasons before this. Im guessing that may impact the package a bit? Still guessing it will be 7.5m x 8 at minimum.. probably more. Regardless, some guys are gone at minimum one (and maybe both) of Roy and RV. Spence also needs a deal.. maybe he gets 3mil x 5 or whatever. Cap going up helps, but there will be some juggling going on.

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

As your post hints, QB's points/60 is higher (as is his individual scoring chance generation).

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 17-46-04 Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick.png

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Give QB 6X6 (or 6X7), then back up the Brink’s truck in the next contract. Similar to Kopi’s contract history.

I don't think he would accept that contract anymore and I don't think it's great for the Kings anyways. More than likely he gets either an 8 year deal through the rest of his prime years like countless other young players have gotten, or a 3 year deal similar to Zegras. Six also puts the Kings in that weird spot where you are then likely going to have to give an 8 year deal to a player who is 28 years old or risk losing him.

8 year deal would be the best situation for both the team and player as it usually is in these situations.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Byfield began to truly progress lasy year when we put him on the top line. He leveled up again this year when we put him back there again to start this season. He's gone off since we put him on PP1. Seems as though showing some faith in him engenders significant returns. Give him 8 and build around him.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I’m hoping in Kopi’s last season that they purposefully split time at center. Kopi as the security blanket until he doesn’t need to be one.
What?
The Leafs didn't have a shot at top 3 pick because unlike the Kings they've been a playoff team for 7 years straight. Of course they could use a top forward on an ELC, so could every team. Not sure what point you're even trying to make here.

As for Robertson, for every prospect on every team there are those that overvalue him and those that don't. If you followed the Leafs board, or any other, you'd see the distinction. But he's actually playing pretty well since his last call-up and he may be turn out to be another prospect I was wrong about.
Go ahead and use the Leafs being a playoff team for 7 years straight like it means something compared to the last decade of Kings hockey, down years and all. You took a potshot at Byfield and you can’t be surprised people are shooting back even if you are a Kings fan.

Last edited:

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Kopitar really is the gift that keeps on giving and pretty much the best thing to ever happen to the Kings outside of obviously winning the cups which he had a heavy hand in. Having him continue to be a GigaChad gives Byfield the perfect ramp to develop into an elite player and still gives him his inevitable shot to try to take the reigns after him. It is inevitable that Byfield gets tried at center again sooner or later in the future. He is the only one on the roster that possibly can, but at least the net is there that he can be an elite top line player whether he can make that jump or not.

His next deal is definitely going to be much more lucrative now, and neither side is going to get anything done until the offseason likely, but you really only have two choices. Either you get him in a bridge deal for ~$5M/year for 3-4 years or so, or you go all in and roll the dice on the ~$7-8M/year long-term and try to get a discount on those prime years if you are confident he reaches his ceiling.
Give him 8 years. Maybe 7m? I think that contract will be a steal quickly. Then again If I'm his agent I tell him to take the bridge and go long term in 3 years for a double digit figure, if everything goes as planned/hoped for.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I'd like to see TMac give him some occasional PK time on the second unit.

Fast players put pressure on the opposition's PP pointmen. QB's long reach gives him an advantage when trying to disrupt passes as well.

Kings have to think about the long term. Grooming another option on the PK helps lighten the load on Kopitar/Danault/Liz, and gives you some insurance incase one of them gets injured. Also gives QB more opportunity to work on his draws.
Qb and Lizz as PK duo would be like Schwarzenegger and Devito.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I've grown to appreciate what a sound game Byfield plays. There's nothing cheap about it. There's no unnecessary-risk in his game.

He knows when to keep it north/south and knows when to pick his spots. His "flashy" plays are always appropriate to the situation. Flashy with a purpose.

He rarely makes a bad turnover. He's not gonna attempt the low percentage pass across the ice that kills your team's o-zone shift. He's not gonna turn the puck over at the blueline when your team needs a line change.

He's becoming one of those guys you never have to worry about.

Amazing how wrong professional scouts can be. Hockey IQ seems to be one his better traits.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I've grown to appreciate what a sound game Byfield plays. There's nothing cheap about it. There's no unnecessary-risk in his game.

He knows when to keep it north/south and knows when to pick his spots. His "flashy" plays are always appropriate to the situation. Flashy with a purpose.

He rarely makes a bad turnover. He's not gonna attempt the low percentage pass across the ice that kills your team's o-zone shift. He's not gonna turn the puck over at the blueline when your team needs a line change.

Amazing how wrong professional scouts can be. Hockey IQ seems to be one his better traits.
Most of the IQ narrative came from one or two sources that was then repeated by self appointed experts on YouTube be guys that most likely never saw anything other than the odd highlight reel. It was utter nonsense from the beginning.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I've said it a few times, so sorry for being a broken record - but I think some people don't realize that hockey IQ can be broken in different categories.

And we have two polar opposites of hockey IQ examples on the team.

On one hand is Kevin Fiala. He has instincts, a better understanding of his capabilities, and processes the play very well. But the dude makes the same mistakes over and over, and gets himself in trouble when he gets overconfident.

On the other hand is Byfield. He doesn't (and didn't) have the same instincts or play processing. And the habits he learned in junior just don't work in the NHL, affecting confidence. But you can see the way he applies different skillsets differently. He's adjusting. So he lacks the same instincts, but he's learning to play in varying situations. When he's trying to figure it out, he uses his strength and speed to buy himself time.

That's also why I felt he needed more ice time, as I felt with Kaliyev. More reps and opportunity, while playing with skilled players, would also help them learn some good habits quicker. If they became overwhelmed, you can scale it back.

It's also why, for example, I'd be okay with having Clarke up and playing the third pair for now. He has the instincts that, even with less ice time, he'll generally play well. And the responsibility can be scaled up with more immediate success. He'll probably also never be a defensive stalwart. I think he can adjust, but won't necessarily learn at an elite level how to defend - he'll always go by his gut and his quick processing of the play.

Anyway, to your point, I agree that many scouts got it wrong with hockey IQ. I think a big problem is how nebulous the term is, and it's like how art is defined: you know it when you see it. And I think a lot of people refer to hockey IQ exclusively with instincts and reading the play, while forgetting how coachability and capacity to learn plays into it.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

This is 100% drivel. I was told he has poor IQ

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
all it took was that one blind redirection-pass to kopitar for a goal to dispel the "hockey IQ" argument for me.. that's unteachable

Hoping this kid comes into his own and gets to be a 70-point per season centerman. The Kings need this to happen badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad