When to extend Byfield?

• During season

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • After season

Votes: 46 71.9%

• Total voters

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
It is very early but Byfield looks like one of the best players on the team. He is RFA in July. What do you do armchair gms? Try to extend him mid-season, January or February, hoping to get him at a lower AAV than if you wait until the season is over to give the team more cap space for goalie upgrades next year or wait until the off-season in case he doesn't play well all season?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It is very early but Byfield looks like one of the best players on the team. He is RFA in July. What do you do armchair gms? Try to extend him mid-season, January or February, hoping to get him at a lower AAV than if you wait until the season is over to give the team more cap space for goalie upgrades next year or wait until the off-season in case he doesn't play well all season?
Bust Byfield?? Good one, man.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I don't know why Byfield would be willing to sign before the offseason. His earning power can't possibly be lower than it is now unless he has another 3 goal season, which is unlikely. If he puts up another dud of a year production wise then he'll be in line for the same contract he'd be able to get now. If he breaks out he will secure himself a nice bridge deal or a trade next summer.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I don't know why Byfield would be willing to sign before the offseason. His earning power can't possibly be lower than it is now unless he has another 3 goal season, which is unlikely. If he puts up another dud of a year production wise then he'll be in line for the same contract he'd be able to get now. If he breaks out he will secure himself a nice bridge deal or a trade next summer.
He has only been healthy for half of the last two seasons. Vilardi only received a $1million/1 year contract last year. Could Byfield be interested in a 2-3 year contract at $2-4 million/year to take out some risk of having to play on a contract similar to Vilardi's last year?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Don't feel like there's any rush to get this done with Roy and Arvidsson being higher priorities. Unless Byfield goes off this year and gets 20+ goals, 50+ points there's no reason to get this done before the season ends.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
No reason to make any deal prior to the end of the season.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Don't feel like there's any rush to get this done with Roy and Arvidsson being higher priorities. Unless Byfield goes off this year and gets 20+ goals, 50+ points there's no reason to get this done before the season ends.
What do you think he would get with 20g/50p? Something like Kempe (5x5) after he hit 50 points? And if he gets 30 goals and 70 points? This is one of the risks with how the Kings have built the current team...including Kopitar's extension. If Byfield has a 50-70 point season, then his contract will eat up most/all savings from replacing Arvidsson and Roy with internal options leaving only the increase in the salary cap to fit a more expensive goalie. If the Kings prioritize Roy and Arvidsson, do they have to trade Byfield if he puts up 50+ points like Minnesota traded Fiala?

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
He has only been healthy for half of the last two seasons. Vilardi only received a $1million/1 year contract last year. Could Byfield be interested in a 2-3 year contract at $2-4 million/year to take out some risk of having to play on a contract similar to Vilardi's last year?
Lafreniere got 2x$2.325m. Byfield will be the same age as Laf was when he signs his deal and will probably have less production so I wouldn't go any higher than that.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
They should just wait at the last moment with him. He has a lot to prove this season.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No rush for either party.

Also wrt Roy and Arvi there’s no rush there either because there are too many young players that we are hoping take a step. What happens there affects their value to us and if we move one or both at the TDL (assuming Arvi is fit). Way too early for any of them.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Come on, you know the next thing put in front of him is a minimum qualifying offer. Even if he makes significant strides, he’s not going to do enough to shift the cap picture. Look at Vilardi. He had a better track record overall than Q when he finished his ELC. Both have had ups and downs with play and health.

Vilardi took a paycut on his RFA deal. He was coming off 18g, 37 points in 89 games. Q has 101 games and 9g, 34 points to date. At this rate, for him to cross the $1 / $1.5 M threshold will take at least a 10-15 goal campaign.

I guess it’s probable given his current ice time. Given he hasn’t shown the ability to carry a line yet, it mostly comes down to how good his line mates are this year. But that is the biggest wild card in play. Will he stick with the first line for enough games to get off to a good start in terms of production?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Roy & Arvidsson both should go down the road this summer. Roy at the very least.

Too many middle-roster, 4-6 million dollar contracts. They aren’t my first choice of guys to go, but them being UFA simplifies it.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Roy & Arvidsson both should go down the road this summer. Roy at the very least.

Too many middle-roster, 4-6 million dollar contracts. They aren’t my first choice of guys to go, but them being UFA simplifies it.
If Roy is re-signed he wasn't asking for enough money. It's his chance to cash in, he needs to take advantage. Arvidsson, the same but to a lesser extent. I really don't see either being retained unless it's a great value for the team.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
He has one non-empty net point so far this season playing on the top line.

His value has never been lower, but there's a good chance it'll be lower after the next game. Then lower after the game after that, and so on.

Given that, he's probably still best advised to wait until the season's over, ask for a contract comparable to Stutzle, then after everyone stops laughing, sign a one-year prove-it deal and pray he finally turns things around next season.

I don't want to say "bust", yet, but he's actually worse than I thought he'd be when the Kings originally drafted him over Tim. What a disastrous pick for this team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

As much as I love them I agree, we need ELC contributions and if SPence and Clarke can't adequately cover for Roy and Turcotte/Laf/et. al. can't even start to cover for Arvidsson we are dead in the water anyway.

Byfield and the team are most likely headed for a simple bridge 'show me' deal unless his 'expected' turns into production in short order. If he wouldn't have been literally robbed of two assists (there's seriously no reason for it, these aren't 'almosts', one was taken away and one was a clear touch and both were primary) he'd be on a 55 point pace right this minute so it's not out of the question as some others seem to think.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
As much as I love them I agree, we need ELC contributions and if SPence and Clarke can't adequately cover for Roy and Turcotte/Laf/et. al. can't even start to cover for Arvidsson we are dead in the water anyway.

Byfield and the team are most likely headed for a simple bridge 'show me' deal unless his 'expected' turns into production in short order. If he wouldn't have been literally robbed of two assists (there's seriously no reason for it, these aren't 'almosts', one was taken away and one was a clear touch and both were primary) he'd be on a 55 point pace right this minute so it's not out of the question as some others seem to think.
He's hit one or two posts too. I get the frustration and I'm mindful of John Wooden's advice to "not mistake activity for achievement," but he's looked better this year. Fast, dynamic, physical. He's doing everything but scoring, though as you mention he should have 1-3 in six games.

Still want to see him on a line with Fiala.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's hit one or two posts too. I get the frustration and I'm mindful of John Wooden's advice to "not mistake activity for achievement," but he's looked better this year. Fast, dynamic, physical. He's doing everything but scoring, though as you mention he should have 1-3 in six games.

Still want to see him on a line with Fiala.

It's true, literally inches and an inept scorekeeper away from PPG :laugh:

But I know that won't play well and is mostly just me being a homer but still, I don't understand how people can say they're seeing nothing from him. All indications are that he's right on the verge AND even if you ignore the posts the assists getting stripped is kind of dogshit and should correct in short order.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's true, literally inches and an inept scorekeeper away from PPG :laugh:

But I know that won't play well and is mostly just me being a homer but still, I don't understand how people can say they're seeing nothing from him. All indications are that he's right on the verge AND even if you ignore the posts the assists getting stripped is kind of dogshit and should correct in short order.
I'm convinced people who see nothing from him simply aren't paying attention or don't want to acknowledge the good he's done.

It's basically stubbornness or petulance at this point.

There are some who are seeing it but saying it's not enough - not sure I agree, but at least they recognize the good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad