Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Farwell says there is another major tenant wanting to come into the Aud on his show today. Besides Rangers and Titans. Not at liberty to discuss who it would be. My guess it's the Leafs if they lose tonight. Kidding don't attack!
I hear the New Jersey Devils are looking to relocate. Perhaps it is them? We can rename them the Kitchener Rockies? (Yeah, I know....oldsters joke!)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I hear the New Jersey Devils are looking to relocate. Perhaps it is them? We can rename them the Kitchener Rockies? (Yeah, I know....oldsters joke!)
A women's professional hockey team? But the Rangers would be fully against that idea.
Having said this, I suspect this will be discused then dropped. If they want an arena with wider concourses, it could be easily done if the money is available.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If and when Kitchener builds a new arena I hope that they will have tiered pricing.

If they build an arena to fit 10,000 like rumour has then it would be nice if the tickets were $25 like they currently are and then for the top sections make them $15-18.

Make it more affordable for more people to be able to go to the games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If and when Kitchener builds a new arena I hope that they will have tiered pricing.

If they build an arena to fit 10,000 like rumour has then it would be nice if the tickets were $25 like they currently are and then for the top sections make them $15-18.

Make it more affordable for more people to be able to go to the games.
Yeah it would be nice, but they’ll have to pay for the building. Don’t hold your breath!
Luckily (or unluckily) for me, I won’t be around to see it because I don’t think they build a new building anytime soon.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
What exactly is involved in repurposing the land from an old hospital? I believe it's a brownfield site. In the Soo, our new hospital has been open for ~15 years and the old site has not been repurposed yet. I think there is a lot more to it than just knocking it down and building whatever you want in it's place.
Happening in K-W more than you'd think. And that location would be ideal. Developers would be after it for sure.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I fully expect 1 more 2008 to sign. Everyone hoping for Xu. Plus I see atleast 1 new import starting the season. My preference would be 2 right away and have Sale traded by beginning of the season but I think he gets dealt closer to the deadline. 2 OAs have to go.

Forwards - 15
Defence - 7
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 3
Rehkopf
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 4
Lam
Romano
Stark
Paquette
2008 - 2
Headrick
Cameron

2005 - 2
Ando
Savard
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 2
Reid
MacNeil
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards

Last edited:
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hlacar signed.

Figured this was coming when he was at camp again last week. There was mutual interest last year. There's some much-needed ruggedness for the forward ranks.
This is why I mentioned it was intriguing that Hlacar was back in camp. Lots of fans wanted him signed last season. Big kid with an edge.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at some of this years picks other than Headrick there is some size. Rangers should have a big squad overall in a year or so when these players get into the weight room. The way the game is going in a more physical direction size helps. Fighting is limited in the CHL now but just knowing their is a player or two that can take care of someone running players can be a deterrent. I think the last two drafts have garnered some real skilled players if and that's a "big if" they can turn them into pro prospects. Future looks rosie if these kids are all given the proper training.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
IMG_7140.jpeg
The first tag is interesting 👀

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The way the game is going in a more physical direction size helps.
The game has been in a physical direction for a long time now. Especially post season. The Rangers, really since DeBoer, have been a team that chose to take the “high road”, and veer away from big, hard nosed teams.

Except for 2017-18, where MM went nuclear to put together an excellant playoff contender.

No surprise that that team gave us our best shot at making the OHL finals since the DeBoer era.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The game has been in a physical direction for a long time now. Especially post season. The Rangers, really since DeBoer, have been a team that chose to take the “high road”, and veer away from big, hard nosed teams.

Except for 2017-18, where MM went nuclear to put together an excellant playoff contender.

No surprise that that team gave us our best shot at making the OHL finals since the DeBoer era.
Watch NHL and see the hits. It's brutal. If you watch the Knights they actually play a pro style. Heavy forecheck where they hammer the opposing defense with big hits. Hunters teams have speed and go hard to the net. Rangers need to build a similar team being in the division. You never finesse your way to a banner. Physical teams get more respect.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am pumped for the Hlacar signing. He had 38 points in 48 games last year in the GOJHL. Their is some skill there to go with his size and physicality. He was 5th on his team for points too.

I just wish and I said it last year that Kitchener would have signed him out of camp. Even if he would have played not too many games last year he would have brought an edge to the team. Plus practicing daily with much more skilled players and more ice / gym time could have worked wonders for him.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Hlacar signed.

Figured this was coming when he was at camp again last week. There was mutual interest last year. There's some much-needed ruggedness for the forward ranks.

Agreed.

Having gone through the London series, my hope was that, on the contending team we keep referring to two years from now, we'd have two physical / rugged / "tough as nails" OA's to go along with the talented (and hopefully returning) Ellinas. To combine those three along with the drafted '07 group we currently have, in my opinion I think this would be the ultimate combination. Hopefully the '08's also turn out to be a good supporting cast.

Dirracolo and Hlacar appear to be those two - assuming Hlacar can prove he can play. Maybe Bottineau could be considered too. He doesn't shy away from the physical play, but I'd like to see the two that other teams hate to play against. I just want to see two 20 year-old "tough guys" that will allow everyone else to play their game. I think Oshawa getting OA Connor Punnett was a great trade that helped them to get where they are. Having two in my opinion is even better.

I Mac 80

Jul 23, 2023
I really like this signing. It looks like MM is finally maybe staring to realize that we need some size, grit and physicality in our lineup. We definitely need to be more tougher to play against especially in the playoffs where the games become more physical. We’ve been far too easy to play against the past couple of post seasons as we’ve had no push back against more physical teams. It’s ok to have some smaller skilled guys but you need a good mix of grinders and skilled guys. Our lineup the past few seasons as been too many players with very similar styles. In regards to next season it need to be a development year and anyone who won’t be here in two years should be traded for assets in picks and younger players. We should have enough to get into the playoffs as a lower seed to get valuable experience for our younger core. I have faith in the coaching staff to get the most out of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad