Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Well maybe he told Chevy I'll be your glue guy too for the 5 years and take his salary as well no need to sign one.

If that's the case I'm ok with it. But 5 years to long.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I mean, I would’ve preferred wheeler sign many consecutive 1 year deals for league minimum, but in this universe where every UFA gets overpaid, I much prefer this than the alternative of trading him or letting him walk.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think this is fine for the Jets. just four years beyond his current contract so that is very reasonable. Also, like the Buff signing, it makes an organizational statement to the young core players, that the Jets are a team you can plan your whole career around if you produce at your highest level. I like it.
Very well said. It would be nice if the contract is front end loaded.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Full NMC for first 3 years then modified no-trade for final 2 years.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Very well said. It would be nice if the contract is front end loaded.
thanks. although I was incorrect in that the current contract plays out before the new one starts. I still think it is a good deal for both sides. checked the main board to see that other fans are very complimentary to Chevy for this one.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Well, I can't imagine that they make this deal unless they have a solid plan going forward for signing Morrissey and Laine long-term. Maybe this is the team telling us that Trouba isn't interested in being a Jet long-term and will be moved sometime this season.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
What a world we live in where the leading scorer and captain of your team decides to stay with your team probably til the end of their career and people are pissed lol

The eternal rebuild. You haven't won anything until you've won three cups in a row using only under-30-year-old Winnipeg-drafted Winnipeg-developed players who Want To Be Here (TM) according to some folks around here.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
As fans I'm sure we all would have loved a 3 year deal, but that was never going to happen. With the Jets being contenders for at least the next few years, this seems like the move that needed to be made. It very well could be poor value towards the end, but the Jets couldn't let Wheeler walk. And I doubt that the team wanted to play out the year with the contract distraction, and then Wheeler go to UFA in the summer and start speaking with other teams.

This isn't a deal that fans get to cheer about because of great "value", but I think it's a deal that needed to be made for the here and now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad