Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just a question , if Wheeler is worth 8.25 million a year , what is Laine's next contract gonna be ? Gotta figure it's at least very close to Wheeler and that is really gonna be hard to fit everyone under the cap .

Reactions: FinJetster

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I like the signing.We will probably pay for it at the end of the contract but will we care if we have bagged a couple of cups?A few other points:
-A player isn't declining till he actually IS declining.We may have 2 or 3 years of top 10 winger yet.
-Any GM that would let a top 10 point getter walk should be fired.
-you can't trade every vet for prospects or you get what we have had up to last year
-It's all fine and good to say You would give him no more than 3 years but he would never sign that contract and he would be stupid if he did.
If we want to win,we need to sign these kind of contracts.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Always have some reservations about extending guys at this stage of their careers but it's not out of the ordinary for them to still be effective to 38.

From 33-38 Iginla played 368 games and tallied 306 points.

From 33-38 Marleau played 376 games and tallied 252 points.

Much like Marleau and Iginla to the point where they were 38, Wheels has been extremely durable throughout his career. I have no doubt Blake will be in tip top physique throughout this deal so hopefully the healthy trend continues and I hope at minimum we'll see a 45-50 point Wheeler at the time this contract is over, much the same as Marleau and Iginla to that point in their respective careers.

Wheeler, I think, stands a good chance at being as productive as Marleau or Iginla through 33-38 years of age. There is risk, no doubt. Fingers crossed. At the end of the day I think at the least within the next 3 years this team is better with Blake than without him in, so if we can win at least one Stanley Cup and accomplish the ultimate goal... I won't give a shit what happens after that to the point where Blake's extension is over (2024). Especially if he can still be as effective as Marleau or Iginla are/were and he hits 45-50 points at 37 and 38. Yes, overpaid at 8.25 per but... that's the price of doing business in this league.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm very surprised by the reaction on here. I thought it would be unanimously loved.

I was reluctant to post anything because I don't like this deal either.

The unfortunate part of the salary cap is you have to either let a guy walk a bit early or sign him to something that will bite you in the butt later on.

There's no reason to believe he won't be the next Patrick Marleau.
There's also no reason to believe he will be any different that a lot of guys who are on anchor contracts by their mid 30's.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Incoming Myers/Perreault and Trouba trades beginning next off-season. Hefty in term.

Also provides new parameters for Laine’s contract. Previously you could have argued using Scheifele as a base line + cap inflation, now that’s blown out of the window.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I like that we were able to resign him but if we lose any of our talented youth i will be pissed. Hopefully we can move little or MP at some point to clear up some more cap space for laine and connor.

I wonder what we are going to do with trouba and myers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No surprise about the total value... I predicted around $40 million. I would have preferred the AAV to be lower, over 6 years.

Still, an important signing.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Solid signing of our best player, our leader, our iron man for just over 8m per. Anyone complaining about this deal, will look foolish when he is putting up another 85 plus points, leading our team when needed, and being one the best players in the league.

So nice we will not have to deal with an expiring contract and resigning him during the season.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Not surprised a Leaf fan came running in here to tell us what a bad move it is.

I don't particularly like it. The Little, Enstrom, Pavelec contracts have shown Chevy gets attached to people. Plus they wanted to keep Ladd at 6+ ...how does that contract look now if he stayed?

That said, Wheeler should be good value for the majority of this deal. You cannot really argue that he has not earned the contract either.

The impact on retaining other players is obviously the concern here.

We need to ditch the Little contract.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
For people who don't like the deal, what would your solution have been?

The only other options are trade him, or let him walk after this season. You're not getting a better deal than this, he would get more than this on the open market.
Rolling 1 yr contracts would be their solution

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Wheeler is the first number retirement in 2.0 (likely).

Love Wheeler, just nervous about the impact on the young core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad