What's up with Tavares?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Question for Islanders fans:

What's stopping them from signing JT today? He isn't likely going to learn much more about the long term plans of NYI in the next 5 months and I doubt he would see signing a new deal as a distraction (considering it seems like the lack of deal is distracting him plenty as is).
I'm just trying to understand whats going on because frankly it doesn't seem worth it to him to delay this.
Is it a playoffs or bust scenario?

Maybe? It could also be that the salary cap hasn't been finalized.

Either way, I think for most NYI fans it's becoming clear (should have been clear for longer) that the primary issue isn't whether JT resigns. (I put everything conditionally because nobody knows. Snow does not talk to anyone except in the most controlled way. Nobody has any idea of NYI's thinking.) That's important. But the most important issue, by far, is that the front office needs to be totally overhauled.

Snow had zero incentive to trade Tavares IF giving up on the season would result in Snow losing his job. This is the problem. Apparently changing owners did not magically grant NYI decisiveness.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It was a missed opportunity of trading him at the deadline. Even if the Isles make the playoffs this team is not deep enough to go head to head with Pitt or TB the heavyweights of the East. The best thing to have done is add a 3rd first rd pick this upcoming draft to the already banked 2 1sts and build around their new star Center Barzal. Now it looks like sign JT or he will walk for free. The best case scenario is the Isles make the playoffs and play as far as they can go. But the way they are trending, unless JT's line starts picking it up. It's 50-50 they may have missed a golden opportunity.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
He's sad that all the eyes are on Barzal now.
052715_syndergaard_harvey_reacts_med_zolbvox2.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also, as it stands now. If the Isles miss the playoffs, and they and JT cannot come to an agreement. The most Snow can get for JT is a 2nd or 3rd pick for allowing a team to negotiate prior to July 1. That's a pittance for one of the best Centers in the game for the past 7 years. Sometimes I wonder about Snow and should he be managing a NHL team. His asset management skills are atrocious.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Never once in his career was he a better overall player

Giroux is a winger now. Let's keep this apples vs. apples.

Tavares, and every other center in the league, has alot more to do than covering the point and chipping the puck off the boards.

The Flyers thinking they're a better team with Giroux at wing says it all about Tavares vs. Giroux imo. Premium centers don't get moved to wing full time.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The Islanders have ONE more win than the Rangers lmao

The team you thought was great and only being held back by their coach (which is funny because he’s way better than Doug weight) until like yesterday?? Lmao.

Almost as funny as Lundqvist retiring without a cup

The islanders are a one line team... JT is either distracted, can’t wait to leave, or just doesn’t want to get hurt before hitting feee agency. He’s not trying out there and hasn’t been for 15 games

Reactions: SI90

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Isles should have moved him at the deadline. They were almost 10 points out with 20 games and still short-handed on D. This is going to haunt them if he leaves. I see Barzal, Beauvillier. Pulock and Bellows... maybe Ho-Sang, Aho and Dal Colle for the future. A lot of cap space is tied up with older guys on long term contracts like Ladd, Boychuk and Clutterbuck. Isles have about 26M left next season to sign everyone and Tavares is going to take about 10M of that. Nelson, Pulock, Davisdon need RFA, DeHaan going UFA and probably gone and then two seasons they have to have money for Lee, Beauvillier and Barzal. Not looking that great.

I would have moved him for a king's ransom and started building around Barzal.

Reactions: SI90

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Isles should have moved him at the deadline. They were almost 10 points out with 20 games and still short-handed on D. This is going to haunt them if he leaves. I see Barzal, Beauvillier. Pulock and Bellows... maybe Ho-Sang, Aho and Dal Colle for the future. A lot of cap space is tied up with older guys on long term contracts like Ladd, Boychuk and Clutterbuck. Isles have about 26M left next season to sign everyone and Tavares is going to take about 10M of that. Nelson, Pulock, Davisdon need RFA, DeHaan going UFA and probably gone and then two seasons they have to have money for Lee, Beauvillier and Barzal. Not looking that great.

I don’t disagree but they were 4 points out at the deadline not 10

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
lol true, I don't see him play that much so i'm only going off his point totals. Is he just snake bitten? Hurt? Maybe just being lazy?

I’m pretty sure he’s playing injured. I’m not sure the coaching staff is aware of it or not. He frequently has quiet stretches of 2-3 weeks but this is like 6-8 at this point. Wouldn’t surprise me if they fall out of it totally in the next week if he ends up going on IR if he truly is injured. There’s a point where either he or the coaching staff will say you’ve done enough to try and keep us in this just sit this out now

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He's obviously mailing it in. Already decided he's not coming back and since we're out of the playoffs.... what's the point?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

You and many of us. The Islanders are loyal to "their guys".... the most frustrating part is they could have explained to John that they are happy with his contributions and would be honored to extend him come July 1st, it's just that this season they have noticed deficiencies which will be addressed in the off season. Out of respect for him, they could've recouped some assets to improve the team, give John the opportunity to participate in the playoffs, hell, even asking him which teams he wouldn't mind making a run with.

This would've given him the opportunity to chase a cup and it would not rule out the possibility of him returning to the Islanders come July 1st. Sure its risky, but IMO not riskier then letting him walk for nothing. If managed properly it may have even increased his desire to stay given the honesty and the opportunity we'd give him to make a run. I don't believe the forgone conclusion many made that trading JT guarantees he wouldn't sign with us.

Instead, Snow used the guise of having playoff aspirations and being competitive by adding Davidson & Wagner, they will still miss the playoffs. So really, the TDL was another Garth Snow, smartest guy in the room move, I haven't read any sentiment online from a member of the NYI fanbase who believe the deadline moves got us closer to a playoff seed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking ahead folks. If JT and The Isles are at an impasse this summer. If the Isles let a team negotiate before July 1, what is the most they will receive for JT to allow a team to negotiate before he hits the open market?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Looking ahead folks. If JT and The Isles are at an impasse this summer. If the Isles let a team negotiate before July 1, what is the most they will receive for JT to allow a team to negotiate before he hits the open market?

Nothing. Aren't teams allowed to talk to UFA's after the draft anyway?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Y'all don't understand. The only world in which JT got traded was a world in which Snow had already been fired.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's mentality checked out of the Islander's. Will be pretty exciting to see him start fresh with a new team next year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Honestly, it's really, really hard to blame Tavares for anything.

His team sucks.
His teams arena sucks.
His teams fan support sucks.

That is a whole-lot of suck.

Hopefully he goes to a team in the off season that is a better fit for him.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Giroux is a winger now. Let's keep this apples vs. apples.

Tavares, and every other center in the league, has alot more to do than covering the point and chipping the puck off the boards.

The Flyers thinking they're a better team with Giroux at wing says it all about Tavares vs. Giroux imo. Premium centers don't get moved to wing full time.
Not Even close to true. Giroux is a winger this year by definition only. There's two centers on that line, Giroux still is very responsible defensively and has proven to be a far better defensive forward than Tavares his entire career. Giroux is also still the best Faceoff forward in the league. Couturier allows Giroux to be more creative offensively without worrying about the defense AS much.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If a contract cannot be reached. I would open up trading his rights to negotiate with an interested team to get the jump on July 1. My memory tells me 3rd rd picks have been spent on this for lesser players. Though Snow missed the boat, he could still get an asset for JT if he is not resigned. I would suggest a 2nd that turns into a conditional 1st rd pick if JT signs with the club. The Isles cannot afford losing him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: