What's up with Tavares?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He''s a streaky player but yeah he's been a disappointment lately, got to think he'll pick it up again soon.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Been watching the Islanders this season a lot (great team) and noticed this guy has honestly been really bad lately (last 25 games), his speed
He never had any significant speed anyway. He's more a cerebral player with a great shot and passing abilities. Honestly, it'd be pretty tough to evaluate him based on how he moves on the ice. You wouldn't think much looking at his movement and skating technique, but he's usually ahead of the game, making sick plays left and right.

When he's not scoring, he doesn't look that special though. And I guess that's the case at the moment. Just not connecting with his plays. It happens.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I think his poor skating hampers him so much, he's so slow he ends up being behind the play a lot. He looks like he's 40 years old in 3-on-3 OT sometimes.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I feel like barzal is getting in his head. Tavares is prone to being streaky but right now hes completely out of it. If its not about him being checked out, than it has to be something else.

Im so torn on what to do with him. Committing the kind of salary he demands at that term is risky. He looks slower, too. Which is not good because he's not exactly fast to begin with.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
His lack of speed has always hampered him as a player. He's still great but
he would probably be an MVP candidate and top point producer if he could skate like the wind.
This year Barzal has been the best NYI.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He always looks like he’s skating in cement. So nothing new under the sun.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I know I'll just be accused of saying this because he might leave, but I'm honestly not sure I wouldn't rather let JT walk than re-sign him at anything over 10M long-term.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I'm getting so so so sick of him. I'm sick of his bland attitude. He's taking too much blame on himself and not giving his teammates enough crap for playing like **** all year. He needs to kick his teammates' asses.

I'm ready to move on and give the Barzal the keys to the team.
Problem is then we're right back to needing another top6 C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It has to be getting old playing for the islanders for soooo long. Every season is a waste. Dude has to get out of there before he ends up like Joe Thornton without a cup.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Pretty much put a fork In the Isles if they lose this, so maybe he will go on a run in garbage time to earn him some extra $$$$$

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I know I'll just be accused of saying this because he might leave, but I'm honestly not sure I wouldn't rather let JT walk than re-sign him at anything over 10M long-term.
Fair enough, but if they aren’t keeping him they needed to trade him.

Something > nothing

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Fair enough, but if they aren’t keeping him they needed to trade him.

Something > nothing
Yeah it's starting to look like they made a big mistake not trading him and Bailey. Think about how much they could've gotten for those two.

Who knows though, maybe JT re-signs to a reasonable amount and goes back to playing like he did the first half of the season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As a fan that watches many Islander games, he looks a step slow of late. His stats are better than what he has been lately. All season if we are to take a macro look, he has been good this year. But of late, yes, he has been disappointing. He's still one of the best C's in the game, but to coin a phrase he suddenly looks old.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah it's starting to look like they made a big mistake not trading him and Bailey. Think about how much they could've gotten for those two.

Who knows though, maybe JT re-signs to a reasonable amount and goes back to playing like he did the first half of the season.
I think their biggest mistake was not getting a goalie.

You have to think the impending decision is weighing on him. He’s a loyal guy whom I believe has always had his heart in NY.. but he also recognizes a franchise that’s been spinning its wheels for a while and he may have a better opportunity to win somewhere else.

It’s gotta be tough.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Started if hot with a some hat tricks and put up points but he last 2 months he hasn’t looked great. Idk. The points are still there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He does. There is nothing in his career to suggest to me he is that type of player. But when you are the best player on the team, and one of the NHL's best Centers. You got to lead the team. Not be outshone by a 20 year old rookie trying his best to will the Islanders into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad