What's up with Tavares?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So most of the Islanders fans don't want to sign their Franchise center for over $10 mil... interesting.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Nothing. He's par for the course so far.
DhVcIU9.png

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Because I can’t stand their media hype train and [mod] think they’re the centre of the hockey universe and that every big name UFA wants to play there.

If it makes you feel better, many Leafs fans can’t stand the media either.

The hockey universe and hockey Mecca thing were bestowed by outsiders. Not something Toronto even started, though it’s true nonetheless.

Wanting every big UFA to play here is different than expecting it. Stamkos was a bad joke that only got serious because Stamkos himself egged it on. Tavares to Toronto isn’t even a thing outside of a few hopeful fans, I personally think he’s staying, but even if he doesn’t I don’t think Toronto is the right fit.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Higher career PPG
Higher career GPG
More top3 Hart finishes
Higher Selke voting peak
Everyone in this thread except Flyers fans seems to agree he's been better

Not really sure what the argument is for Giroux...

Giroux is having a better season on a team that is going to make the playoffs.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think the main issue is that fans seem to think he's this 90+ pt player when he's not. He's still fantastic but he's just not what people want him to be.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Like I said "up until the last 20 games or so"

A couple months ago JT was in most people's top3 for the Hart and the Isles were well above the Flyers

Their career numbers are pretty similar. Almost the exact same ppg. It's not like Tavares blows Giroux's numbers away.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Well the argument would be we've never also had Barzal before. Having 2 franchise C's >>>> Having 1 franchise C

Are you really going there?

Barzal has 65 NHL games played and you already consider him a franchise center?

You sound like the Oiler fan that thinks Crosby and McDavid are the only two generational players of the past 15 years- not only ignoring the other greats but having no issue considering McDavid to have already achieved such rare status.

I am first to admit that the Kid looks like the real deal. But I beg you to wait a couple of more years before making such silly comments. If he were taken 1st overall, that might have changed my thinking a little. But a lot of "experts" failed to see the genius through the trees.

I will want to see this done for a little bit more time.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Are you really going there?

Barzal has 65 NHL games played and you already consider him a franchise center?

You sound like the Oiler fan that thinks Crosby and McDavid are the only two generational players of the past 15 years- not only ignoring the other greats but having no issue considering McDavid to have already achieved such rare status.

I am first to admit that the Kid looks like the real deal. But I beg you to wait a couple of more years before making such silly comments. If he were taken 1st overall, that might have changed my thinking a little. But a lot of "experts" failed to see the genius through the trees.

I still think he is the real deal. But will want to see this done for a little bit more time.
I consider Matthews, Barkov, Eichel, etc. all franchise C's as well. Do you disagree with that or do you not think he's on their level?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Last 25 games:

9 goals
6 assists
15 points

Before the new year: 1.25 ppg
After the new year (last 25 games): 0.60 ppg

Yikes.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think the main issue is that fans seem to think he's this 90+ pt player when he's not. He's still fantastic but he's just not what people want him to be.[/QUote/]

Do you know how many players scored 90 plus points in the last 7-10 years? Most fans seem to be frustrated that he doesn't score enough.
But even just last year you have only McDavid and Crosby reaching that feat. And this year the scoring is up league wide but you can count on one hand how many players have a shot 90.
Giroux has done it once in his career back in 2011.
Kane and Backstrom have also done it only once.
Malkin hasnt had 90 points in like 7 years.
Same with Ovechkin and Stamkos. Benn, Draisatl, Hall, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Barkov, Gaudreau, Seguin, Eichel, Mathews Kessel Toews, Bergeron, Marchand, also have never had a 90 point season.

Feb 24, 2017
Fair enough, but if they aren’t keeping him they needed to trade him.

Something > nothing
Not helping some team for cheap as they lowball you is only the way to go if you love doing favors and being a lowballed doormat for the rest of your career.

People respect people who stand up for themselves and tell lowballers to go blow it out their asses.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
It's not fair to blame Tavares for the struggles of NYI just like it wasn't fair to blame Kessel for the Leafs' struggles.

Never got the right supporting cast. You expect him to do everything because up until this point he's done everything. When the team starts failing it's because he's unable to play like a madman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad